Go Back   Zune Boards > Technology > Xbox

Xbox All things Xbox here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Mrtacobell

Mrtacobell is on a distinguished road
Default Xbox 360

Alright guys, I am pretty sure that alllll of you know that halo 3 is coming out this month =]]] so I'm planning on buying a xbox 360 not just for halo game, but for gears of war and some other games that i've been dying to play. But i really want to get the xbox elite...but its to expensive and i'm in a low budget. But whats keeping me from buying the original xbox is all the bad things that happens to it. like the red lights and the freezing. Have the newer made models of the xbox360 been fixed or are they still happening to everyone? or should i just save up and buy the Elite? What do you guys think? +rep to anybody who gives out good detail on why or why not i should get the original 360 or elite.: p

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Dragod
The Master Chief
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Dragod is a glorious beacon of lightDragod is a glorious beacon of lightDragod is a glorious beacon of light

Oh my god... People are so paranoid. I've had my Xbox for Nearly a year and a half, and I've had no red ring. And yes, the new 360's have the new Heat sinks to flush out the extra heat on the X-Clamps. So, if you have the money, buy it. Just make sure that it's one of the new models (On the Premiums it says "HDMI" on the "Contents" list, and check to be sure it was manufactured on/after July 4th, 2007.

The Elite is great, but if you really need the space, it's better to just buy it right out. With the price drops it made it so that buying a Core + 120gb HDD is no longer the same price. Right now, the Elite is the best deal, but if you don't have the extra $100, or don't plan on downloading a lot of demos or buying a lot of content, the Premium is perfectly fine. And now that it has HDMI, the only difference between the Elite and the Premium is the Color, the price, and the Amount of space.

New Heatsink article: http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/08...hdmi-premiums/

Look for the HDMI on the Contents list: http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/08...hdmi-premiums/

Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Nayer
Squirt

Nayer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nayer

The Elite would be your best bet, word has it that the Elites are getting the quality parts (no more red ring) and besides, if you plan on using live at all you're most likely going to need the memory. In the end though it's up to you. If you feel like you don't need the memory then don't get the elite, however, do not get the core system, it's not worth getting it and then have to dish out more money for wireless controlers, Live and memory.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Stuart
Graduate Zuner

Stuart will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Stuart

im just hoping i get one for christmas...

Old 09-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Mrtacobell

OH ok well thanks everyone for the suggestions. It is just that 5 people i know that own a xbox 360 have had the red ring lights and they have all turned it in to repair and i know one that is turning it in for the 3rd time. I think I am going to buy the original 360 but the one that was "manufactured on/after July 4th, 2007" LIke Dragod said. I really don't think I will be using all that memory and everything. Pretty much just to play xbox live pretty much. THanks for the info Dragod and Nayer. +rep

Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
lacrosse_man16

I have 2 360s and both were bought first generation and I have never had the red light. EVER!!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
Mrtacobell

Oh btw, Does any one know how much the warranty costs?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
redhitman
Jr. Zuner

redhitman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to redhitman

I bought my 360 after it had been out for about 6 months, i figured that all the bugs had been worked out by then. Well, I was wrong. About 10 months after I bought it I got the dreaded red ring of death. Luckily, Microsoft had Just changed the 3 month warranty into a 1 year warranty, so I sent it in and got another.

The thing with the one I originally bought was that it would frequently crash, or freezeup, usually once or twice a week. Well, this new one has never had any problems, it works smooth as velvet. And if any thing does go wrong with this one, Microsoft has extended the warranty to 3 years, so it's all good for the next 2 years for me.

I would say that if you're not really too worried about storage, and don't care if your xbox is black or white, and you don't need HDMI, go ahead and get the original, they seem to be working perfectly now.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Dragod
The Master Chief
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Dragod is a glorious beacon of lightDragod is a glorious beacon of lightDragod is a glorious beacon of light

Taco, the warranty you can buy depends upon where you buy it. But, Microsoft has extended the warranty for any console that gets the red ring to 3 years for free. And if you do end up sending it in, they give you a free 1 month of Live.

But I believe Target has a warranty that takes care of everything that goes wrong with it for.. (It's either $40, or $60).

Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Stuart
Graduate Zuner

ummm wot is the red light u talk of?

Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
Dragod
The Master Chief
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

3 of the 4 lights that indicate the controllers connected to the controller will turn red, indicating General Hardware failure.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
Stuart
Graduate Zuner

how long shud a 360 last b4 a red light turns on?

Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
Mrtacobell

Oh sweet. Dragod, in the article you posted up it was talking about a 'falcon chip'? Is that going to improve the 360 from preventing it having hardware failure?

Old 09-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
Jesus
Zune Freak

Jesus has a spectacular aura aboutJesus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to Jesus Send a message via AIM to Jesus Send a message via MSN to Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Jesus Send a message via Skype™ to Jesus

My friend had a 360 and we were playing gears my other friend knocked it over and bam we turned it off then back on and it had the three red lights of death. It blows

Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #15
Dragod
The Master Chief
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

It should, but they might not even be in 360's for 6 months or more. All they are are more efficient chips that will likely make the console quieter and more reliable, but no one knows when they're coming. But I believe even new chips were ordered by Microsoft for 2009 (Or so)

EDIT: Just found this article. Premiums will be $300 at Office Depot, after a $50 rebate. Maybe this'll save you some cash: http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/09...-office-depot/

Last edited by Dragod; 09-07-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #16
Mrtacobell

O.o, I went yesterday to Walmart after work to see if they had a xbox 360 for sale and they only had one in the shelf...but it was already open which in hell i wouldn't buy it since it was returned for some reason and i was really tired so I didn't bother going to another store. Jeeze, I hope that ad is correct. Guess I'll wait for tomorrow and see. Nice find.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #17
MrBigFeathas
Zewbie

MrBigFeathas is on a distinguished road

The Halo 3 edition 360s will have the new chip. I wish they had the 120GB HD though and no the 20GB. I'd buy one to replace my HDMI-less premium.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #18
Dragod
The Master Chief
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

There are no reports about the Halo 3 360 having the chips, as far as I know.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #19
redhitman
Jr. Zuner

redhitman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to redhitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-less View Post
how long shud a 360 last b4 a red light turns on?
Mine lasted 11 months before the ring showed up. But that was one of the first models, before some of the bugs were worked out. The new one I have is quieter, it downloads faster, and seems to load games a little more quickly. It's been 4 months since I had to send in my 360 for repairs and it seems to be working perfectly, like I said above, my old one frequently crashed, but this new one hasn't done that once nor has it frozen up.
But with my luck it'll be flashing 3 red lights on Sep. 24th (knocks on wood), and if you don't know what day that is you must live under a rock. If that's the case, that's the day before Halo 3 comes out.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #20
srewopfxsts
Zuner

srewopfxsts is on a distinguished road

i have and am still using my first release 360 with no problems i just have it so it can breathe and not get hot i have the halo 3 special edition 360 on preorder from what i have been able to find the newer models have new and improved heat sinks and have better cooling the big thing is to just keep it where it can get plenty of air flow to keep it from gettin to hot

Closed Thread