Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > Gen 1/Gen 2

Gen 1/Gen 2 For help with every zune except the Zune HD. Zune 4, 8, 16, 30, 80, 120 issues go here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
vansmiff
Zewbie

vansmiff is on a distinguished road
Default Access is Denied

I am running Vista 32 and I have a 1st generation Zune 30GB. I have a TON of old pictures, songs, and videos that I would like to retrieve from the player. I have tried reverse syncing, but it will not copy any of the files from the Zune onto the computer. The error message I get produces zero response from microsoft, and after hours of searching the error message on google, I still had no leads. The songs simply will not sync from the Zune player to the computer. When I right click on the songs to get the error, it reads "An error occurred when connecting to the server. The security information from the server couldn't be validated. Error Code: c00D11E4 (800C00E)."

No one has a clue what this error code means, not even microsoft.

I tried messing with the registry by changing some values to that the Zune player would show up in Windows Explorer. It does not show up, but when I try to copy files over, it says "Access is Denied." This could quite possibly be the most frustrating message in the history of computers. IT'S MY FREAKING MUSIC, WHAT DO YOU MEAN ACCESS DENIED?!?!?!

I have been searching for weeks and have put in many many hours of work trying to figure out how to copy these songs and pictures from my Zune to my computer and have come up completely empty handed.

I am very good with computers and software, and even I cannot figure this one out. I've tried reinstalling and all the easy stuff like that. Can anyone help me get this stuff off this old Zune player please?! I am at my wits end.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

Justananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offer

Sadly you will probably have to contact official zune support for this., The link in my sig can take you there.

I hope you get it fixed!

Also yay, I hit 4500 posts!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
vansmiff
Zewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justananomaly View Post
Sadly you will probably have to contact official zune support for this., The link in my sig can take you there.

I hope you get it fixed!

Also yay, I hit 4500 posts!
As I said in my post, Zune support offers NO support. They don't know what this error is, all they say is "we're working on it."

Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Beausiph
All of Beau's hoes, wanna take a ride on Beau's hose
Retired Global
Super Zuner

Beausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Beausiph

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmiff View Post
As I said in my post, Zune support offers NO support. They don't know what this error is, all they say is "we're working on it."
Tweet @zunesupport or call. Best options.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

vansmiff-
Let's go down a different path. Tell us about the content on that zune. Is it ripped, purchased, etc. Does any of it have DRM (needing to contact a server is common to relicense zune pass tracks.) Do you get that msg only for music, or also pictures? Is the firmware up to date? Can you try on a different PC? Etc., etc... I don't know what we're looking for yet, but maybe something will trigger an idea.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
vansmiff
Zewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
vansmiff-
Let's go down a different path. Tell us about the content on that zune. Is it ripped, purchased, etc. Does any of it have DRM (needing to contact a server is common to relicense zune pass tracks.) Do you get that msg only for music, or also pictures? Is the firmware up to date? Can you try on a different PC? Etc., etc... I don't know what we're looking for yet, but maybe something will trigger an idea.
First, I appreciate the comments, but, as I've said, Zune offers ZERO support, no matter how you contact them.

To answer your questions (and thanks for posting!) - It is ALL the content on the Zune that the "access is denied" message comes up. It simply won't copy the content from the Zune to my computer. It will not sync either (it gives the error message I mentioned in my original post). None of the content will sync or copy.

The firmware and software are all up to date.

I have tried on three different pc's and none of them work. I did try it on my ex-wife's computer which runs Windows 7 and believe it or not it worked on her computer. But, as you can see, she is my EX-wife and I have no computer here that runs Windows 7.

I just don't understand why everything appears to work perfectly, but it won't sync and it won't copy the files in windows explorer. makes no sense! why does it work on a windows 7 computer and not any other? and don't give me the "just do it on a windows 7 computer then" line, cause I already said I don't have one. Plus, I shouldn't have to! This shouldn't be an issue at all, it should just copy and sync properly!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
vansmiff
Zewbie

Just in case anyone else has this problem, I finally figured it out with a tiny bit of help from Microsoft. Microsoft FINALLY has this error on their help website, but it has to do with pictures and the JPEG files. They say that due to a change in the key that Windows is not recognizing the pictures and therefore does not transfer them because it thinks they're a virus. So, they want you to go in and change one of the keys. So, with that in mind, I got curious and looked at the key for MP3. Sure enough, instead of saying "MP3" it said "winampfile." So, I changed that registry back to MP3 and sure enough, BAM, everything started syncing correctly.

Here's how to fix this error

Go to regedit
Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Go down and open up MP3 folder
Double click on "default" and in the entry box make sure it says "mp3" If it doesn't, change it to "mp3" and exit the registry. This fixes the problem.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmiff View Post
Just in case anyone else has this problem, I finally figured it out with a tiny bit of help from Microsoft. Microsoft FINALLY has this error on their help website, but it has to do with pictures and the JPEG files. They say that due to a change in the key that Windows is not recognizing the pictures and therefore does not transfer them because it thinks they're a virus. So, they want you to go in and change one of the keys. So, with that in mind, I got curious and looked at the key for MP3. Sure enough, instead of saying "MP3" it said "winampfile." So, I changed that registry back to MP3 and sure enough, BAM, everything started syncing correctly.

Here's how to fix this error

Go to regedit
Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Go down and open up MP3 folder
Double click on "default" and in the entry box make sure it says "mp3" If it doesn't, change it to "mp3" and exit the registry. This fixes the problem.
You should send an invoice to MS...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
jaytmon
Zewbie

jaytmon is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say that I encountered a similar issue on my Samsung Omnia 7 Windows Phone - trying to sync a music album purchased through market place on the phone threw up exactly the same error. I am so very grateful that thanks to following vansmiff's directions kindly posted above, I was able to rectify what could've been an extremely frustrating issue in minutes. Nice one, cheers ;-)

Closed Thread