Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > Gen 1/Gen 2

Gen 1/Gen 2 For help with every zune except the Zune HD. Zune 4, 8, 16, 30, 80, 120 issues go here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Supermasterpig
Zewbie

Supermasterpig is on a distinguished road
Default Zune 80 broke?

Hello,
I have a second generation 80 gb zune. Last friday while I was listning to my zune it randomly froze. It was stuck even though the play button was active. I tried skipping ahead and it would change the name of the song but the album art would still say the same and the new song would not start. I resetted my zune and it seemed to work fine for a couple min. then it did it again, it was low on battery so i thought maybe that was it so I let it charge. Afterwards it would still do the same thing except sometimes the audio would cut out but the zune showed it was still progressing with the song and then after a min or so it would warp back to the point where audio would cut out play a couples seconds then do the same thing. Then today I was messing with it and my play arrow faced the opposite way. So I did a reformat of everything including the firmware reinstalled all of it successfully. As I was trying to reinstall all my songs I got about 10 percent of the way and it stoppped I then got an error code on zune software that says "Device isn't responding C00D124D".Now Io cannot even sync one song without the error popping up. Any ideas? Also I have noticed when I shut down the zune and start it back up it is very loud.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

That really sounds like firmware, not hardware... try restoring the firmware a second time.
Also, if it does turn out to be hardware, you can get zunes repaired at rapidrepair.com and/or pdasmart.com

Old 12-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Supermasterpig
Zewbie

Thanks for the advice. I reinstalled the firmware it got to 10% like the first time I tried and then it stopped responding and all the songs on the zune failed.

Everytime it hits 10% it stops syncing and comes up with a respond error.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermasterpig View Post
Thanks for the advice. I reinstalled the firmware it got to 10% like the first time I tried and then it stopped responding and all the songs on the zune failed.

Everytime it hits 10% it stops syncing and comes up with a respond error.
well, that is a bummer. There are only so many things you can do, and you've done them. Time to consider repair vs. replace...

Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Supermasterpig
Zewbie

Of course it is two months past the warranty. Do you have any idea what it would cost for a repair?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
Of course it is two months past the warranty. Do you have any idea what it would cost for a repair?
no. but repair quotes are free except for shipping at rapidrepair.com

Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Supermasterpig
Zewbie

After several weeks of poking around with it I think the hard drive has gone bad. The hard drive now makes loud clicking noises and rattle when shaken, also when trying to do a brand new sync the process stops at 9% I am guessing this is where the bad sectors start and progress slows until it is unresponsive. I am thinking about ordering a new hard drive and doing the repair myself. has anyone tried this on here? I have seen youtube videos and my brother has opened out old zune 30 cases although that was to destroy them.
Edit: From what I can see all i would need is a 1.8 hard drive and amazon has a 120 gig for
cheap cheap
. Can anyone confirm that this would work?

Last edited by Supermasterpig; 12-30-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
After several weeks of poking around with it I think the hard drive has gone bad. The hard drive now makes loud clicking noises and rattle when shaken, also when trying to do a brand new sync the process stops at 9% I am guessing this is where the bad sectors start and progress slows until it is unresponsive. I am thinking about ordering a new hard drive and doing the repair myself. has anyone tried this on here? I have seen youtube videos and my brother has opened out old zune 30 cases although that was to destroy them.
Edit: From what I can see all i would need is a 1.8 hard drive and amazon has a 120 gig for cheap. Can anyone confirm that this would work?
1) it's not as easy as it looks, and it takes special tools to open zunes.
2) there are repair guides at rapidrepair.com, so you can buy the part knowing it is the right one and follow their guides. I'd look closely at the guides before deciding if I were you.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Supermasterpig
Zewbie

NSILMike,
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate the advice. I want to try and do this the cheapest way I can and i feel that if I take it to rr I will be charged at least 200 dollars for the repair ( 100 for hard drive 100 for labor). From their site in the zune 80 sections their is a 120 gb hard drive upgrade for zune 80. it is for both zune and ipod which makes me believe that the one on amazon will work for zune since people have put it in their ipods. Also the tool kit can be seen on
amazon amazon
for about 2 bucks. I know the easy thing would be to just send it in but if I am going to pay that much I might as well buy something new and I wouldn't go with a zune after it went out right after warranty. I am a huge fan of zunes over ipods thats why i want to presurve the life of my zune. I appreciate all the advice and help.
Edit: I bought the drive from amazon that i have linked. Along with a opening tool. It was fairly easy to do with tutorials on youtube. I installed a 120 gb hdd in an 80 gb zune it did not require any special fiirmware it still comes up as an 80 gb zune but when you look at the space it shows the 120 gb.

Last edited by Supermasterpig; 02-01-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Closed Thread