Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > General Zune Software

General Zune Software Ask for help regarding the Zune software. Zune Marketplace and Zune Pass issues also go here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Joanne
Squirt

Joanne is on a distinguished road
Default Zune 4.7 software won't install, stuck on "checking updates"

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 86x OS (on 64-bit capable HP laptop) with IE9 and WMP 11.

I recently got a Kin TwoM cellphone which uses the Zune software to transfer music and photo files back and forth between PC and phone. I downloaded the version 4.7 119 MB file and then tried to install it, but it got stuck pretty quickly while supposedly "Checking for updates", as the pop-up window said. I left the machine on for quite a while, an hour or more, and when I looked next, it had finished and a new message instructed me to download a 200+ MB update. That didn't make sense to me, being larger than the program itself, and considering I had downloaded the latest Zune software version available which shouldn't need such a huge update. I'm also on dialup, so it wasn't even an option (got original download on a friend's high-speed machine).

I did search for hours on Google and this site, and found one fix here that worked for somebody involving extracting the zune-x86 install directly from the download package (it includes both 32 and 64-bit programs) to avoid the whole "update" step, but I'm hesitant because I don't even have a zip program needed, nor do I know how to use one. This fix is from a "tech-recipes" site and it also says to extract the file to some folder, which I know I won't be able to find or set up myself.

Anyway, I was hoping for some easier solution, it seems so basic and ongoing (similar posts date back to 2006), I would think Zune or MS or somebody would have a simple step to resolve this by now. In fact, the software download should be debugged to handle it! Wouldn't cha think?!!

Any and all help is appreciated -- thanx, joanne

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

Justananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offer

Hey Joanne,

Welcome to Zuneboards!

First and foremost you're using a 64-bit version of Windows so you need to use the 64-bit version of the Zune software.

"Checking for update" means it is waiting on Windows Update to respond. Ensure that you can run Windows Update from Internet Explorer by going to Tools > Windows Update in Internet Explorer.

If everything there loads fine and you can download Windows Updates, can you let us know if the Zune software gives you any kind of error code and post it?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Joanne
Squirt

No, actually I have a 32-bit version of Vista Home Premium, labelled as 86x for some reason (how'd they get that designation anyway, couldn't they make it easy and use 32x?).

Here are the specs for my system:
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Class: Athlon 64X2 Processor
Processor Number: TK-53Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz

The funny thing about that is, I just checked my Device Mgr and under Computer it says ACPI x86-based PC.

You don't have a choice of which version of Zune you use anyway with ver 4.7, there's just one "ZuneSetupPkg" offered for download. I know with an older version I downloaded in 10/07 (never installed it, but still have it on file), you did get to choose which format at download, and the file was half the size! With the new one I guess it detects which one you need (86x or 64x) during install - maybe?

I can get to Windows Updates via Tools > Windows Updates in IE9, as you suggested, and I'm fully updated.

I didn't get an error code during my attempted install, maybe coz there was no "error" per se, just the "Checking for updates" notification and then notice of that huge 200+ MB file for download.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

I'm writing again because I just tried the zune software install again, and after "checking for updates" completed, this time I got the following Error Message -

"INSTALLATION ERROR

To continue, Zune needs to download a set of files to your computer. This might take a while. Installation will restart when the download is complete.

Error code: 0x80240022

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=101249"

In tab as website was loading, it said "A required component cannot be installed when you tryto install the Zune software http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944938?sd=zune"

I went to the link above and found the following (both links are same) -

CAUSE
This issue may occur when software updates that are required by the Zune software...This issue may occur when software updates that are required by the Zune software are not available when you try to install the Zune software. The following required updates are available from the Microsoft Update website:

The .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft Error Reporting
XMLLite
Windows Format SDK

THINGS TO TRY

A step-by-step solution is available to resolve this problem.
To obtain all required updates in one package, follow these steps:

1) Verify that you have administrative rights to install software.
2) Make sure that you have sufficient free space to install the Zune software. For more information about system requirements for Zune, visit the following website:
3) Computer Requirements for Zune (http://www.zune.net/en-US/support/zunesoftware/gettingstarted/pcreqs.htm)
Click the Download button on the following page to install the update package:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=206980 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=206980)
4) In the dialog box that appears, click Run to start the installation process.
5) The installation should start automatically. If you are prompted, type the name of the folder where the files will be extracted.
6) When the files are copied to the folder, open the folder, and then double-click Startzune.exe to install the Zune software.

SHOULD I TRY IT? And what folder name would I use for the files to be extracted to, if prompted? Can I just create any old folder, on my desktop, say?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

Justananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offer

Yes try it. I would make a temp folder on your desktop to extract the files in. That's what I always do so that way after installation is completed I can delete the temp folder.

Hope it works!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Joanne
Squirt

Do I need Winzip or some compression app to "extract files"? I don't have one.

Oh WOW, just went to the link to get the download recommended, and it's that 246 MB file I was notified about the first time I tried to install the software, only that time it took me a step further right to the download. So, now I got to it manually and here I am again.

It just sounds ridiculously cumbersome to me, could this be right? Will have to get the file elsewhere, won't be downloading 246 MB on my dialup machine, that's fer sure!

Last edited by Joanne; 06-05-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

You have Vista you should just be able to rightclick the .zip file and unzip them.

If you think the Zune software is cumbersome, try iTunes. >_>

Also, dialup still exists?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Joanne
Squirt

Har har....yeah, dialup still exists, in my household anyway, which may be all!

I hear ya when you say iTunes is even bulkier than Zune software, but the irony is, the zune software is really only 119 MB, but then they're telling me to add this other 246 MB of junk just to get the zune software to install! And I betcha I already HAVE some of the 4 items in this package, but it's just safest to grab it all.

In fact, could you possibly tell me where to look for those items/updates on my system to see if maybe I already have some and don't need to download them all?

Again, they list consists of:

The .NET Framework 2.0
XMLLite
Windows Format SDK

Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
Har har....yeah, dialup still exists, in my household anyway, which may be all!

I hear ya when you say iTunes is even bulkier than Zune software, but the irony is, the zune software is really only 119 MB, but then they're telling me to add this other 246 MB of junk just to get the zune software to install! And I betcha I already HAVE some of the 4 items in this package, but it's just safest to grab it all.

In fact, could you possibly tell me where to look for those items/updates on my system to see if maybe I already have some and don't need to download them all?

Again, they list consists of:

The .NET Framework 2.0
XMLLite
Windows Format SDK
It does that to give you the complete install package, as it cannot know in advance what windows updates and patches you already have. Your alternatives are:
1) install from zune.net. It will download only what it needs (it gets your missing stuff from windows update.)
2) download the complete installer onto a usb memory drive somewhere else, and use that to put it on your machine.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
Joanne
Squirt

Okay, thanks, I guess that's the route I'll go then, i.e. download the Zune package onto a flashdrive via a friend's higher-speed system.

You also suggest downloading from zune.net to get just what I need vs. all 4 bulky components automatically. Might try that 1st and see if what they come up with is LESS bulky, i.e. A LOT less bulky.

I know when I look at my Windows Updates history, I've never done any recent .NET framework updates, so I'm sure I'll need that one. Really don't want or need the Microsoft Error Reporting update.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
tech.freak243
Zune Guardian

tech.freak243 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tech.freak243 Send a message via MSN to tech.freak243 Send a message via Yahoo to tech.freak243

or you can just use the windows update. it may be labeled as an optional update

Old 06-18-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

Quote:
Okay, thanks, I guess that's the route I'll go then, i.e. download the Zune package onto a flashdrive via a friend's higher-speed system.

You also suggest downloading from zune.net to get just what I need vs. all 4 bulky components automatically. Might try that 1st and see if what they come up with is LESS bulky, i.e. A LOT less bulky.

I know when I look at my Windows Updates history, I've never done any recent .NET framework updates, so I'm sure I'll need that one. Really don't want or need the Microsoft Error Reporting update.
1) No. That is an installer, and depends on windows update access to pick and choose what it pulls down.
2) Install any and all critical updates. Don't fool around with windows update critical patches (if you are..) They're there to patch critical vulnerabilities.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
Joanne
Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post

1) No. That is an installer, and depends on windows update access to pick and choose what it pulls down.

2) Install any and all critical updates. Don't fool around with windows update critical patches (if you are..) They're there to patch critical vulnerabilities.
I assume you're saying the .NET framework is an installer, is that what you're in fact referring to?

So, are you saying then that I should just install the whole package, i.e. all 4 items?

And yes to your question, I always do all critical updates, Windows automatically selects them for me in fact. Although, I've noticed it does not check off or download the .NET framework items (listed as critical I believe), I think # 3.7 or so is listed in my updates now when I run it (but unchecked for download) .

Old 06-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
I assume you're saying the .NET framework is an installer, is that what you're in fact referring to?

So, are you saying then that I should just install the whole package, i.e. all 4 items?

And yes to your question, I always do all critical updates, Windows automatically selects them for me in fact. Although, I've noticed it does not check off or download the .NET framework items (listed as critical I believe), I think # 3.7 or so is listed in my updates now when I run it (but unchecked for download) .
no. i am saying the file you get from zune.net is an installer. it requires windows update access to pull down missing files. .Net is a framework for network access... and is one of the major reasons you can't install zune on Macs, for example. Mac OS is pretty weak in terms of network accessibility, so depends on the app itself to provide what it needs.

Download and use the full installer- it will only install what it needs for zune, although if your machine does not meet the min. zune requirements, you will have to fix that first (.net, etc.)

Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Joanne
Squirt

>> .Net is a framework for network access <<

But I don't have a network (I'm just on dialup remember), so do I even need the .net framework update in the Zune package I was directed to in order to get the Zune software to install?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
>> .Net is a framework for network access <<

But I don't have a network (I'm just on dialup remember), so do I even need the .net framework update in the Zune package I was directed to in order to get the Zune software to install?
When you dial in, you are on a public network (aka the internet) that depends on various network protocols. Dial up is your access mode only. Other access modes are cable, satellite, DSL...
So, yes, you need .Net

Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
Joanne
Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
When you dial in, you are on a public network (aka the internet) that depends on various network protocols. Dial up is your access mode only. Other access modes are cable, satellite, DSL...
So, yes, you need .Net
Gotcha.

Have yet to do this procedure so I can install the Zune software. Am thinking I might do the technique where you extract a certain file manually from the install, to avoid the Updates altogether. Then it should install okay, and I won't be bothered with updates in the future, meaning I can use the program offline, according to the website advice I found.

Here's the link -- Zune 4.0 – Installing Zune software without checking for windows updates or without an internet connection - Tech-Recipes

Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #17
Joanne
Squirt

Hah, I thought I already replied to this, saying I was gonna try the install method found in these boards where you extract the zune-x86.msi install file directly from the ZuneSetupPkg folder to avoid the whole "update" step. Only thing is, these instructions were obviously for an earlier version of Zune, 4.0 I think and I have ver 4.7. Not sure if that was the problem, I did find the file okay and clicked on it, but it said there should be 3 .msi files and I had 9.

Anyway, it went thru what seemed like a normal install process, with "Configuring zune" progress bar, etc, and only one (error?) message midway that said:
FirewallCA 12:11:33.243: Operation
'Preserve Wireless FWRuleConfig' has finished with
result 0x80070002

It did all the configuring AFTER that message, but when all was done, I could find no program on my system. So, I'm not sure what happened. I did a system search for anything "zune", and no installed app came up....

In the Registry I did find "ZuneUpdater and Installer" a bunch of times under HKey Current User/Software/Classes/Local Settings/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Shell/muiCache, as well as other locations. Also found "Self-Extracting Cabinet" at same locations, and "ZuneSetup" under HKey Local Machine/Software/Microsoft/ZuneSetup, which showed my 4.7 version as "ErrorVersion". I guess that's telling.

So, should I assume it just didn't get installed and try again? Do you think it will work if I turn off my firewall (MS Vista firewall must be running), per that message I got in first attempt?

Or should I try other fix with giant 246 MB update package installed first (consisting of 4 items listed below) to satisfy "Checking for Updates" stumbling block?

The .NET Framework 2.0
XMLLite
Windows Format SDK

Last edited by Joanne; 07-02-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

don't turn off your firewall... that is definitely not necessary.
do try the 'giant' install package. yes, it's big, but that's because it has everything whether you need it or not.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #19
Joanne
Squirt

But what about that error message I got above when I extracted the zune-x86.msi manually to install the Zune software -

FirewallCA 12:11:33.243: Operation
'Preserve Wireless FWRuleConfig' has finished with
result 0x80070002

I read on Google that there are fixes for that 0x80070002 error. Here's what I found -

You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server Update Services.

Note: This Fix it Solution has two modes Default and Aggressive. You should run the Fix it solution in Default mode and determine if it resolves your problem with Windows Update before running it in Aggressive mode.

Download "MicrosoftFixit50202.msi" file from this site to do this procedure.

Note: If you would rather fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section:

LINK: You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server Update Services

To fix this problem yourself, remove the download directory, and then visit the update locations again.

Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service, and then click Stop.
Minimize the Services snap-in.
Rename the SoftwareDistribution directory. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type cd %windir%, and then press ENTER.
Type ren SoftwareDistribution SDTemp, and then press ENTER
Type exit, and then press ENTER.

Note When you remove the %windir%\softwaredistribution folder, the history list is erased from the "Review your Updates" section of the Windows Update Web site. This action will not affect the currently installed updates on your computer. Subsequent updates will appear in the history list.
Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
Maximize the Services snap-in.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service, and then click Start.
Close the Services snap-in window.
Visit the Windows Update Web site, the Microsoft Update Web site, or the WSUS server again, and then download an update.

If you still receive the same errors, verify that you have correctly performed steps 1 through 3.
If you still cannot install the update, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
906602 (How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues ) How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Me again. Just re-read my last entry, and man, is it lengthy, and I don't even know what they're talking about at the "FixIt" site I visited and qouted!

To abbreviate - Should I do some fix re. the 0x80070002 error message I got during failed install of Zune software ver 4.7 described above (manually extracted/activated zune-86.msi file from Packages folder). I found some fixes via Google, one of which was a simple Restore procedure, the other of course is hogging all the space above.

Last edited by Joanne; 07-03-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #20
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

That firewall msg is not saying your firewall is interfering.
Why don't you save yourself some time and effort. Download the big install file on a PC with internet access, and put it on your PC via a thumbdrive. Then execute it. It will install only what your PC needs to run zune software, as long as you are starting from a supported OS and version. You are really making this much more complicated than it needs to be... and thus probably frustrating yourself!

Closed Thread