Go Back   Zune Boards > Technology > Console and PC Gaming

Console and PC Gaming Xbox, Playstation, PC gaming, everything of that sort should be in here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Legend
Zune Freak

Legend is a jewel in the roughLegend is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Legend Send a message via Skype™ to Legend
Default Activision: CoD Won't Die like Guitar Hero.

Quote:
"Isn't Call of Duty today just like Guitar Hero was a few years back?" asks Activision publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg in a leaked internal memo.

This was the topic of the memo apparently circulated internally within Activision in February as the firm announced plans to halt its Guitar Hero business.

"This is a great question and one we have thought about a lot," says Hirshberg, as he answers the question by explaining why the annually released Call of Duty series won't suffer the same fate as its once insanely popular rhythm-action franchise. Here's what Hirshberg had to say:

"But there are several key differences between the two franchises worth considering. Guitar Hero quickly reached incredible heights, but then began a steady decline. Call of Duty, on the other hand, has steadily grown every single year of its seven-year existence.

"Guitar Hero was a new genre which had incredible appeal, but which had not stood the test of time. Call of Duty exists in a genre--first person shooters--that has shown remarkable staying power and wide appeal over a period of decades. Plus, Call of Duty has inspired a massive, persistent, online community of players, making it perhaps the 'stickiest' game of all time.

"If you really step back and dispassionately look at any measurement-sales, player engagement, hours of online play, performance of DLC-you can absolutely conclude that the potential for this franchise has never been greater.

"In order to achieve this potential, we need to focus: on making games that constantly raise the quality bar; on staying ahead of the innovation curve; on surrounding the brand with a suite of services and an online community that makes our fans never want to leave. Entertainment franchises with staying power are rare. But Call of Duty shows all of the signs of being able to be one of them. It's up to us."

Activision will continue its CoD onslaught with the next Call of Duty: Black Ops map pack, entitled 'Escalation', which hits Xbox 360 as a timed exclusive on May 6.

Has your interest in the series waned since its annual release schedule hit its stride with Modern Warfare? Will you buy this year's update?
I find the best part to be this one:
Quote:
In order to achieve this potential, we need to focus: on making games that constantly raise the quality bar; on staying ahead of the innovation curve; on surrounding the brand with a suite of services and an online community that makes our fans never want to leave.
They sure are doing a great job at that aren't they?

P.S. Guitar Hero is not dead, but on a Hiatus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I don’t know whether I’m alive and dreaming or dead and remembering. How can you tell what’s a dream and what’s real if you can’t even tell when you’re awake or when you’re asleep?" - Johnny Got His Gun

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Alex
Ban ALL the Users
GFX Crew
Super Moderator
Expert Zuner

Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Alex

Activision is crap and so is Call of Duty.

Last edited by Alex; 04-22-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
tnap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Old 04-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Arfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Arfy

Guitar Hero was never really that great either... Sure, it started the whole guitar playing video game thing, but Rock Band REALLY improved on it a lot. I'd much rather play Rock Band then Guitar Hero.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
ZuFi
/me .
Senior Editor
GFX Crew
Elite Zuner

ZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to all

Honestly, if they want to give their fans what they want, just release a multiplayer only game that updates every year or so with new guns.
People are just buying it for the multiplayer (which sucks) and not even playing the campaign, so why waste time and money on it?

Quote:
Agreed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Legend
Zune Freak

Send a message via MSN to Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Legend Send a message via Skype™ to Legend

CoD has been the same game since 2007. Sales are going to start decreasing with the next one, and with a new game EVERY year, plus DLC, it will kill itself.

"I don’t know whether I’m alive and dreaming or dead and remembering. How can you tell what’s a dream and what’s real if you can’t even tell when you’re awake or when you’re asleep?" - Johnny Got His Gun

Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Arfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to behold

CoD is just going to run the FPS genre into the ground...

Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Seb
Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies!
So mainstream, I'm a standard
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Seb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Seb Send a message via Skype™ to Seb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Guitar Hero was never really that great either... Sure, it started the whole guitar playing video game thing, but Rock Band REALLY improved on it a lot. I'd much rather play Rock Band then Guitar Hero.
But what if you had no friends to play with?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Then you play solo.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
tnap

Quote:
Then you play solo.

Reminds me of the Tamagotchis, if you had no friends, you went out and bought another Tamagotchi to mate with.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Nelson
Zune Guardian

Nelson is just really niceNelson is just really niceNelson is just really nice

Activision is alright...not good, CoD is just horrible and really needs improvements...
Although Guitar Hero was great....

Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Draklor
ribbit
Retired Global
Zune Lord

Draklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to Draklor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuFi View Post
Honestly, if they want to give their fans what they want, just release a multiplayer only game that updates every year or so with new guns.
Fans can already have that. It's called Team Fortress 2

Old 04-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
ZuFi
/me .
Senior Editor
GFX Crew
Elite Zuner

ZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Fans can already have that. It's called Team Fortress 2
And that's why I have it.
But a TF campaign would be interesting...

Old 04-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
Draklor
ribbit
Retired Global
Zune Lord

Draklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to all

It would be...

Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
Air King
Zune Guardian

Air King is on a distinguished road

This is kinda a "duh" article... I don't see cod dieing any time soon. Cod has been on top for a while, and one of it's closest competitors (Halo) just lost it's dev team. I think COD has become the Final Fantasy of FPS games... Basically youre paying for the name. (the reason I say this is because I think FF is in decline)

Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #16
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Final Fantasy lost it's touch after Final Fantasy VI.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #17
Legend
Zune Freak

Halo did not really loose it's dev team. Bungie wanted to move on, and signed a 10 year deal with Activi$ion. If I am correct, there are quite a few employee's from Bungie now working at 343 helping create a new game. Besides that, CoD will die, just because a bunch of dumb 10 year olds are buying it, it has ran the FPS genre into the ground. EVERY studio developing a FPS feels like they need to make it like CoD to sell, and that disturbs me.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
Seb
Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies!
So mainstream, I'm a standard
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Seb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Seb Send a message via Skype™ to Seb

Quote:
Final Fantasy lost it's touch after Final Fantasy IX.
Fixed.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
Air King
Zune Guardian

Air King is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
Halo did not really loose it's dev team. Bungie wanted to move on, and signed a 10 year deal with Activi$ion. If I am correct, there are quite a few employee's from Bungie now working at 343 helping create a new game. Besides that, CoD will die, just because a bunch of dumb 10 year olds are buying it, it has ran the FPS genre into the ground. EVERY studio developing a FPS feels like they need to make it like CoD to sell, and that disturbs me.
I suppose that is true... Eventually something is bound to come along and break the mold (like halo and it's regenerative health)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Fixed.
Agreed... I actually enjoyed FF 7-9, but I think 7 is over rated. I'm playing 3 on my iPod (commence the flaming for using an iPod), I know it's different, but it's still awesome!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #20
Draklor
ribbit
Retired Global
Zune Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Fixed.
I loved X. And XII was really good despite being different. VII is good but overhyped, the story isn't THAT great, Kefka is way worse than Sephiroth.

Closed Thread