Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Download OpenZDK Applications

Download OpenZDK Applications OpenZDK Applications

Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
fstab
Squirt

fstab is on a distinguished road
Default [HD] Dive! 1.0 (menu background changer)

Allows you to use a menu background.

Looks like this: (like my skin?)

Deploykit:
Dive_1.0_deploykit.zip - Solidfiles
Source:
Dive_1.0_src.zip - Solidfiles

HOW TO USE:
Read the readme in the deploykit or source archive, it tells you everything you need to know.

I'm not sure if this works for Zune SD or not, I haven't tried (I have a black Zune 4GB, but it's in a box somewhere right now).

Also, the sample background included is from ABI, in the thread here:
I'm A Zune Wallpapers (Zune HD) - Zune Wallpapers - abi>>forums
If I'm infringing any copyrights, please tell me.

My skin is from DecalGirl: (comes with the 272x480 wallpaper shown)
Zune HD Skin - Dante @ DecalGirl - A Fer Garza Design

As for the thread title, don't ask.

Last edited by fstab; 06-07-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: wat

fstab is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Jr. Zuner

8007859 is an unknown quantity at this point

nice job works great

8007859 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
Grim
Banned
Expert Zuner

Grim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Grim Send a message via MSN to Grim

This kills battery life like crazy... also on the ZuneSDs you can change the wallpaper just fine without any hacks of any sort...

Grim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
turdbogls

turdbogls is on a distinguished road

i am going to have to give it a shot....how is the performance of it....is anything slowed down like the other "hacked backgrounds"

will DL when i get home today. still something cool to have when you are in need of a change.

turdbogls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
fstab
Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
This kills battery life like crazy... also on the ZuneSDs you can change the wallpaper just fine without any hacks of any sort...
LOL, I forgot about the wallpaper function on Zune SD.
It's nice, though, if you have a Zune HD. (like me)

Also, it doesn't really kill battery life. If you look at the source, it simply draws the background to the screen, then sleeps for an infinite amount of time:
Code:
Sleep(INFINITE);
49.7102696 days to be exact

In the next version, I plan to have a feature that cycles through backgrounds at an adjustable interval, and jpg support. Maybe Zune SD users will use it then o_O

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdbogls
i am going to have to give it a shot....how is the performance of it....is anything slowed down like the other "hacked backgrounds"

will DL when i get home today. still something cool to have when you are in need of a change.
No, it sleeps infinitely long, which gives all the CPU time to other processes. Originally, I had it loop, while sleeping for 10 milliseconds between iterations, but that slowed down the menu a little bit.

One more thing. It seems (besides the fact you can't use DRM music/Microsoft apps) that this app prevents you from watching videos while running. I'm going to guess that it's because the video process is not reloaded when you exit an app, so my app runs over it D:

Last edited by fstab; 06-07-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: :O

Old 06-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Grim
Banned
Expert Zuner

Grim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Grim Send a message via MSN to Grim

Well thank you for correcting me, I thought it was just another "app running in background that kills battery" kinda thing...

Grim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
fstab
Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Well thank you for correcting me, I thought it was just another "app running in background that kills battery" kinda thing...
Before I knew how to write apps, I thought running any games/apps would kill the battery (when I had a Zune SD), but there are only two things that majorly drain it.
1) Screen brightness
2) Running lots of calculations (looks at Doom HD *poke poke*)

:+;=;:+;+;:=:=:=:+:=:+:=;;=;;=;+=;:=;;=;+
::::::INSANE TOWER OF TERROR:::::::
;=;+;:+;=;:=;=;:=;;=:;=;;=;;=;:+;=;;=:=;:=
The one thing that I learned from this, besides that I need to sleep more, is ZDKDisplay_Present() is going to become your best friend when debugging with messageboxes, as it and ZDKDisplay_EndScene() are the only ways to poll the opened (or not) messagebox's state.

Last edited by fstab; 06-07-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: let's edit every post for a weird reason just to annoy ppl >:D

Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
zeltmaster
Zuner

zeltmaster is on a distinguished road

i would use this for sure if somehow you made it so that you can listen to DRM music and watch videos...

are you planning on having any updates??

zeltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
fstab
Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltmaster View Post
i would use this for sure if somehow you made it so that you can listen to DRM music and watch videos...

are you planning on having any updates??
Yes, unless I have a heart attack in the next 48 hours.
As for the part about Microsoft/DRM content, this occurs with any app using OpenZDK. I can't change this until OpenZDK is updated to fix this, probably not for a while, seeing as it is all encrypted and we would need a way to override the firmware or something like that for it to work.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but when you run this app and exit to the menu, there's a weird black spot above your pins (if you have any). This doesn't show up normally because your background is black.

If anyone likes running an OpenZDK app when they start their Zune so XNA apps don't restart, this provides a nice way of doing that as well as giving you a wallpaper to look at.

================`````````````````============
Someone who knows about this, please tell me if I'm forgetting something, but my app forces you to press the home button to exit because AFAIK, this is the only way to force the menu to load without actually exiting the app. Any other way I attempted to cause the menu to load involved exiting main(), which isn't helpful at all. If there's a ZDK function to load the menu without quitting the app, please tell me and I will implement it in the next version.

Last edited by fstab; 06-07-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: bLaRgHHHHHHHHH

Old 06-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
autopilot

autopilot is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the video seems to be running behind the wallpaper. This is pretty awesome though. Thanks.

autopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
turdbogls

turdbogls is on a distinguished road

any word if the landscape menu glitch works?

turdbogls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
Netrix
Purger of Ignorance
Development Front
Retired Staff
Super ZunerĀ²

Netrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Netrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstab View Post
2) Running lots of calculations (looks at Doom HD *poke poke*)

:+;=;:+;+;:=:=:=:+:=:+:=;;=;;=;+=;:=;;=;+
::::::INSANE TOWER OF TERROR:::::::
;=;+;:+;=;:=;=;:=;;=:;=;;=;;=;:+;=;;=:=;:=
The one thing that I learned from this, besides that I need to sleep more, is ZDKDisplay_Present() is going to become your best friend when debugging with messageboxes, as it and ZDKDisplay_EndScene() are the only ways to poll the opened (or not) messagebox's state.
That is the cost of simulated 3D. Also, Doom uses a palette table for the colors, so the color has to be retrieved for every pixel, every frame.

Why not use the normal way of debugging instead of the tedious way of message boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstab View Post
Someone who knows about this, please tell me if I'm forgetting something, but my app forces you to press the home button to exit because AFAIK, this is the only way to force the menu to load without actually exiting the app. Any other way I attempted to cause the menu to load involved exiting main(), which isn't helpful at all. If there's a ZDK function to load the menu without quitting the app, please tell me and I will implement it in the next version.
You could just make an app that launches your app, then exits and have XNA start that app.

Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
autopilot

autopilot is on a distinguished road

After running this, the software no longer detects my zune. I wouldn't recommend running it.

[edit] It's working now. A reboot of the device didn't help, but I deleted the app, synced another app, and rebooted the device again and now it's fine.

Last edited by autopilot; 06-07-2010 at 10:10 AM.

autopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
zeltmaster
Zuner

zeltmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, unless I have a heart attack in the next 48 hours.
ok sounds good

Quote:
As for the part about Microsoft/DRM content, this occurs with any app using OpenZDK. I can't change this until OpenZDK is updated to fix this, probably not for a while, seeing as it is all encrypted and we would need a way to override the firmware or something like that for it to work.
i kinda guessed that, i just didnt know if someone found a way to do that yet

zeltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Redwing

Redwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
Yeah, the video seems to be running behind the wallpaper. This is pretty awesome though. Thanks.
This; I believe that videos run very "deep" in the drawing depth levels. However, since the background is already drawn when you begin a video, it could be as simple as adjusting the depth of your sprite draw in your app to be as far down as it will go.

Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
baxterer2004
Zewbie

baxterer2004 is on a distinguished road

Can't listen to drm protected music while the background is changed or play microsoft apps. Otherwise, very cool!

baxterer2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
Redwing

Redwing is on a distinguished road

One suggestion which I was going to implement when I planned to make an app like this (never got around to it): instead of loading the file with the deployment of the app, provide a menu to select an image file from the device's images. That way, you never have to re-deploy the app to change backgrounds.

One thing this app is making me notice is that the Zune already has some cool built-in effects which make no sense without a background image. For instance, if you pin an artist to your Pins menu, it will show up as a semi-transparent black rectangle. Same with video icons which have no thumbnail. Why semi-transparent black on a black background? Why not just make it fully transparent? Also, when you open the Marketplace item, it dims the background. Obviously, there is no point in dimming a black background.

So, I wonder if the Zune team intended to include an option to select a custom background, or if they ever will?

Last edited by Redwing; 06-07-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
Spike!

Spike! is on a distinguished road

It's a nice proof of concept, but having to run it everytime as an app kinda kills any practical application it has, not even counting the aforementioned issues of vidoes, DRM music, games, etc.

Only way we're going to get realistic wallpaper support is if Microsoft adds it (which I don't think they ever will) or if the HD has custom firmware running eventually.

Spike! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
fstab
Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netrix View Post
Why not use the normal way of debugging instead of the tedious way of message boxes?

You could just make an app that launches your app, then exits and have XNA start that app.
I'm at my relative's house, and their router is too far away for my Zune to get a reliable connection D:

That would work, although complicated, but I don't know how to launch another app from an app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike!
It's a nice proof of concept, but having to run it everytime as an app kinda kills any practical application it has, not even counting the aforementioned issues of vidoes, DRM music, games, etc.
Yeah, I don't like not being able to play Microsoft apps, although I don't really watch videos and I don't have any DRM music. But um, you only need to run it once, when your zune boots up (different than coming out of sleep) then you can play zdk apps and xna ones won't reboot.

Interestingly, the wallpaper shows a few cool things in the menu software. If you're not playing any music/radio (no now playing above pins) then there's a weird looking semitransparent black faded square instead. You need a light background to see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing
One suggestion which I was going to implement when I planned to make an app like this (never got around to it): instead of loading the file with the deployment of the app, provide a menu to select an image file from the device's images. That way, you never have to re-deploy the app to change backgrounds.
I will add this ASAP, I need to figure out how to load pictures from your collection first though, (if this is possible? is it protected or encrypted?). So I will have a config file that gets deployed, in which you can use the keyboard choose what folder to get wallpapers from and what delay to cycle through them at.

--------
LOL, one of my relatives thought it would be cool if I could use videos or animated gifs/pngs for the background. Kinda like DreamScene. Except I don't know how to work with any of these, and I don't think there's any way to load these with OpenZDK ATM.

Last edited by fstab; 06-07-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: oh my gawd

Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Creative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Creative Zune Send a message via MSN to Creative Zune

You could use some of my wallpapers found here.

Creative Zune is offline   Reply With Quote