Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Download OpenZDK Applications

Download OpenZDK Applications OpenZDK Applications

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Malkierian
Experienced Zuner

Malkierian is on a distinguished road
Default [HD] [BETA] OpenTyrianHD (now playable!)

UPDATE 2-11-11: OpenTyrianHD now released, version 1.0. Go here for details: OpenTyrianHD 1.0

UPDATE 2-5-11: New layout with supersized trackpad! Sensitivity is halved, but you don't need it with how big that thing is. Trackpad is also now outlined by red bar (except where it goes beneath the game screen).

Keyboard functionality is now implemented in both the title screen and the difficulty select menus! Do you know the codes?

I also fixed the data cube text scrolling in this release.

Left to go: keyboard in-level, Ship Specs view (game menu), and Destruct (might not make it).

Get it here: OpenTyrianHD Beta 0.5

As always, report problems here: OpenTyrianHD Issues

----------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2-3-11: We now have OpenTyrianHD Beta 0.2. This update includes the keyboard and softpad implementations for the new high score screen after the end of an episode, and also has a speedup for the keyboard routine. No more keyboard lag!

Well, folks, we are officially in beta! The layout is fully functional, and the buttons are displayed dynamically based on what will be used in the current screen.

And I finally smoothed out the touchpad throughout the program. I really like the results.

And also, the keyboard does not work outside of the SaveGame function (it does work in there, but it is rather slow, so give it some time when you try to save), so don't expect anything by pressing the keyboard button just yet.

In short, it is now fully playable!

Controls:

The big black square over to the left is the trackpad. It is 120x120 in size, a wonderfully big bit (and about as big as I could get it ).

Each button (except the keyboard and menu buttons) are 90x90. Those other two will be 90x40 (so you don't accidentally hit them while using the trackpad).

From OpenTyrian Gcode site:

OpenTyrian is a port of the DOS shoot-em-up Tyrian. Jason Emery generously gave the OpenTyrian developers a copy of the Tyrian 2.1 source code, which has since been ported from Turbo Pascal to C. The port uses SDL, making it easily cross-platform.

Tyrian is an arcade-style vertical scrolling shooter. The story is set in 20,031 where you play as Trent Hawkins, a skilled fighter-pilot employed to fight Microsol and save the galaxy.

Last edited by Malkierian; 02-11-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Malkierian is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

Sweet! Well done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
ArcticFo
Zuner

ArcticFo is on a distinguished road

Good work man I'm downloading it now

ArcticFo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Malkierian
Experienced Zuner

Just as a warning, the one I originally posted didn't suppress the reboot. The one up now has that enabled again.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
ArcticFo
Zuner

??? so the deploykitOTHD beta 0,1 doesnt supress the reboot

Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Malkierian
Experienced Zuner

Beta 0.1 does now.

The point was that it didn't at first. I rebuilt and reupped it.

You're probably fine, but you'll notice whether you got the old one or new one (I deleted the old one).

Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
ArcticFo
Zuner

haha it seems like fun but I am getting owned lol

Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Anthony
Experienced Zuner

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Anthony Send a message via Skype™ to Anthony

FYI, the black space on the side functions as a joystick, for anyone that is confused.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
ArcticFo
Zuner

yeah took me a couple seconds to figure that out haha. Does it seem to kinda glitch up on anyone like is jittery

Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
JareeB
Experienced Zuner

JareeB is on a distinguished road

omg so much fun to play great job

JareeB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
OfficerHalf

OfficerHalf will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to OfficerHalf

I wish the track pad could have been bigger - its hard to maneuver with such a small surface area. I almost think the entire screen could be used as one.

Its an excellent port, and and excellent idea. And its pretty fun.

OfficerHalf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
jayjacobson14
Zuner

jayjacobson14 is on a distinguished road

This is awesome. Do you plan on making any accelerometer controls kinda like the Doom port?

jayjacobson14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
garthbartin
Experienced Zuner

garthbartin is an unknown quantity at this point

It's pretty fun, but I'm having trouble with the joystick. Perhaps I'm sliding of if without noticing. Maybe you could make a light box or something so you know where the joystick ends.

garthbartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Malkierian
Experienced Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbartin View Post
It's pretty fun, but I'm having trouble with the joystick. Perhaps I'm sliding of if without noticing. Maybe you could make a light box or something so you know where the joystick ends.
First off, it's not a joystick, it's a trackpad, like some others have said, and the entire black box is the trackpad. You can use that entire thing. Here's a tip: you have to get used to the fact that where you're touching with your thumb is really a bit to the left from where you might think it is.

For those complaining about the size, how much bigger would you want it? I can only make it so big because of the other buttons that need their own hit space, and if I do it any bigger, I won't be able to outline it because that's as small as the game screen goes, and the trackpad would then be going onto the game screen (which is somewhat problematic because enemies come at you from all directions).

Besides, who needs it bigger? You can scroll the whole screen with that trackpad without lifting your thumb off of it, with as sensitive as I have it set.

By the way, I reached the end of the first episode last night, and couldn't do anything at the high score screen! So sometime today I'll be releasing a quick update (0.2) that will add in the keyboard to the high score entry screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson14 View Post
This is awesome. Do you plan on making any accelerometer controls kinda like the Doom port?
I had initially gone into that method, but I decided to scrap it because a trackpad is much easier to manage (I don't even know how to tell OpenZDK to zero the accelerometer at a certain place!). If, once everything's working like I want it to, I have some extra time and want to experiment, I may try to put it in there, but don't plan on it.

EDIT: OK, so this is about as big as I could make the trackpad (though it seems like excessive overkill to me...)

Last edited by Malkierian; 02-03-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
52Shadows
Zewbie

52Shadows is on a distinguished road

I don't know about you guys, but retro games are awesome. Great work Malkierian.

52Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
Malkierian
Experienced Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Shadows View Post
I don't know about you guys, but retro games are awesome. Great work Malkierian.
Why thank you! I've always loved this game. It's why I originally ported it to the Wii, and it's why I'm loving putting so much effort into this port.

And, as an update:

UPDATE 2-3-11: We now have OpenTyrianHD Beta 0.2. This update includes the keyboard and softpad implementations for the new high score screen after the end of an episode, and also has a speedup for the keyboard routine. No more keyboard lag!

Download here: OpenTyrianHD Beta 0.2

Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
Malkierian
Experienced Zuner

OK guys, I was playing yesterday and came across a couple of levels that required a good bit more finesse than the current trackpad is capable of, so I'm implementing the bigger trackpad and new button layout (it's actually already done), and I'm working on the difficulty and title screen keyboard functionality. Once that's done, I'll release the next beta. Should be tomorrow.

EDIT: By the way, after that, the only thing that needs to be implemented is the in-level keyboard functionality (that'll be the hardest, because I have to figure out some way of emulating function key combinations... I may have to come up with my own codes for it ). Once that's done, OTHD will be done! At least, I hope it will.

Last edited by Malkierian; 02-04-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
keymasta
Extremely Sarcastic
Super Zuner

keymasta is a name known to allkeymasta is a name known to allkeymasta is a name known to allkeymasta is a name known to all

keymasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
Malkierian
Experienced Zuner

Alright, folks, here it is:

UPDATE 2-5-11: New layout with supersized trackpad! Sensitivity is halved, but you don't need it with how big that thing is. Trackpad is also now outlined by red bar (except where it goes beneath the game screen).

Keyboard functionality is now implemented in both the title screen and the difficulty select menus! Do you know the codes?

I also fixed the data cube text scrolling in this release.

Left to go: keyboard in-level, Ship Specs view (game menu), and Destruct (might not make it).

Get it here: OpenTyrian Beta 0.5

EDIT: Dangit, I forgot to update the layout.png inside the archive before uploading it... It's fixed now, though. If you downloaded 0.5 before, try downloading it again to see it.

Last edited by Malkierian; 02-05-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
Jamima
Zuner

Jamima is on a distinguished road

Wow!
Thank you Malkierian. I absolutely love this game and now I can play it anywhere!
(My DS was bricked a long time ago)

Jamima is offline   Reply With Quote