Thank you all very much for your kind words and support. Unfortunately, lately a spontaneous side project has occupied a lot of my time, so I haven't been able to devote as much to this project as I would like. So, I'll try to answer any questions I can.
It looks like the bug is caused by a memory error-- I'll try messing around with the heap and stack sizes. Thanks for the tip, Netrix.
1. This is my last week of summer vacation, so I will have even less time after that date to mess around with the project.
2. I think I might as well release it to everyone and welcome feedback on features/bugs.
3. My current plan is to just host a zip file with all the source code. I'm not too familiar with Google Code hosting, but I'm certainly open to the idea.
4. I got screenshottr to work, so I can ul pics soon.
5. I've got a simple logo already, but if anyone offers improvements, I'm open to them!
6. I haven't thought about that too much. If this takes off though, why not!
7. Thank you for the offer. As a gift I received a .com domain I've never used before, so I think I'll host it there until the subscription runs out, then switch to a free hosting site. As for the webpage, it'll be minimal at best to begin with. When I made the deadline I allotted a couple of weeks to just website construction. Again, a side project came up, so to start the webpage will just be boring white with a couple links. Function not form in this case I suppose.
8. I purposely left any references to Google Talk out of this app to avoid anything copyright. I'm not aware of any legal notices I need to connect via XMPP, but I believe all software licensing is figured out and taken care of. I'm new to releasing software, so bear with me.
9. There is no nine.
I think I traced the debug/release configuration crash to /MDd or something similar for multithreaded DLL debug. I think I've compiled all DLL's as release, so I ended up just thinking "it works well enough as debug to be released." I've had enough headaches messing with compiling DLL's under different architectures, so that's where that issue stands.
You all have been such a great help to me with this project of mine, so I think I'll edit the screen shots (just blurring out my friends' emails, not adding anything that isn't there) and post them to an image sharing site so you all can have a preview of the app.
Update: here's the image of the login screen (typo noted, will fix), friend preview, and chat window. the main essentials you need to communicate via xmpp, with bells and whistles available for future releases.