Go Back   Zune Boards > News and Website Related > Front Page Articles > Archive

Archive Archived Front Page Articles.

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Pyho
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Pyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud of
Default Zune Phone, a History

Image Credit: Teccom747/Jared Marino
With the Mobile World Congress, the supposed release date of a "Zune Phone," fast approaching, I thought I'd do a run through of some of the rumors, past and recent.

Talk of a Zune Phone started way back in September 2006, before the Zune was actually released. Chris Stephenson, at the time a general manager of global marketing for Zune, was quoted as saying, "A Zune phone is definitely part of the future of this brand." The tech community exploded at the prospect of an iPhone competitor.

In Feburary 2007, Crunch Gear stated that they had a "sound tip" about a Zune Phone. According to their source the phone would be "a smartphone that works homogeneously with the Zune marketplace." It also would not run Windows Mobile, but rather an interface similar to the Zune one (at the time). The device was supposed to be available holiday season 2007. Gizmodo quickly confirmed it with a tipster, but then updated, saying the source was wrong.
Another rumor broke a few days later, Microsoft had appeared to have filed a prototype Zune Phone with the FCC. Engadget debunked it a few days later stating "A Zune phone? We think not -- yet -- but we'll know better when the filing actually hits the FCC in the near future."

Image Credit: eegerecke
After a few months of small rumors of the Zune Phone, the rumor flames were rekindled in September when, Mindy Mount, at the time, Microsoft's chief financial officer of the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft Corp and corporate vice president of the Operations and Finance Group, stated, "Clearly we do identify Mobile being more integrated with photos and music. It’s a natural thing to have in our product roadmap."
It was after this that the codename Pink started being floated around. After Roz Ho, head of the Microsoft Mac Business Unit, she moved to Mobile and Entertainment Division, where it was rumored she was heading a project codenamed "Pink and Purple." The project was supposed to be about "bringing Zune features and functionality to Windows Mobile devices."

After a period of relative quiet, Microsoft announced its acquisition of Danger, a consumer handset OS maker, in February 2008. Many said this was an obvious sign of the production of a Zune Phone.
A Steve Ballmer memo to Microsoft Employees with what seemed to be Zune Phone and Danger references was leaked in July by All Things Digital. In the memo Ballmer states, "We're changing the way we work with hardware vendors to ensure that we can provide complete experiences with absolutely no compromises. We'll do the same with phones−providing choice as we work to create great end-to-end experiences."

Image Credit: WMExperts
Later, CNBC brought back the "Pink" rumors, writing, "I'm hearing from a good source that Microsoft is ready to give a major facelift to the company's Zune music player that could mean its evolution into a new smart phone from the company" and "My source says that the new device falls under the codename "Pink" and that it will combine the company's Zune and technology from Microsoft's purchase of Danger Inc., the company that brought us the Sidekick flip phone available on T-Mobile."

April 2009 brought about rumors of a Microsoft working with Verizon as well as more talk of "Pink." The Wall Street Journal reported that Microsoft and Verizon were in talks about launching "a touch-screen multimedia cellphone on the carrier's network early next year." AdWeek reported the Microsoft was seeking an advertising agency for "Pink" stated to be "a new mobile application."

In May, ZDnet released specifications for the Windows Mobile 7 Chassis 1, which was rumored to be the core of "Pink." Also, Microsoft reportedly choose McCann Erickson for the previously mentioned marketing of "Pink" (the "mobile application").

As September rolled around, 5to10Mac, published a report that the "Pink" was actually two phones. One codenamed "Turtle" and the other, "Pure." Along came Gizmodo who released images of said phones.

Image Credit: Engadget
On January 8th 2010, after another period of relative quiet, the "Zune Phone" rumors were revived after Robbie Bach denied a "Zune Phone" in an interview with the Financial Post. After that the rumor mill really got worked up. On the 19th Jefferies and Company analyst Katherine Egbert sent a note to investors stating, "Our recent industry checks indicate Microsoft will be debuting its own phone sometime in the next two months. We expect the new phone to debut soon, at either the Feb 15-18 Mobile World Congress conference in Barcelona Spain, or possibly at CTIA in Las Vegas one month later." Engadget posted tweets from numerous accounts with "from Danger" attached (On a side note, that is the Twitter account of Namrata Bachwani who is currently a Release Manager at Microsoft). Interestingly, these tags link to Microsoft's website and not the Sidekick's.

After the most recent January 25th Zune update, Long Zheng, creator of iStartedSomething, posted an intriguing new device driver. The driver appeared to reference three different phones, all by Microsoft.
Next, our very own itsnotabigtruck discovered references to "Pink" phones "Turtle" and "Pure" within the updated software.

And the most recent rumor (translated), reported by Spanish blog MuyComputer, states that the phone will absolutely be released at the Mobile World Congress (February 15th-18th in Barcelona). It will reportedly have a Tegra, 480 x 272 screen, HDMI video out, and weigh around 2.45 ounces (70 grams).

Last edited by Pyho; 02-08-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
TexanTerminator14LOL
Experienced Member

TexanTerminator14LOL is on a distinguished road

Very, Very Interesting. This will hopefully bring Apple out of the Smartphone business

Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
sir justin

sir justin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sir justin

Very nice. Well written. But I do have one question...if I have a 3 year warranty on the Zune hd and i want to get Zune phone ( if it exists and has Verizon) would I be able to trade in the hd for the phone if the prices are vertually the same? Or do they not do that anymore?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
gstarbob
Jr. Zuner

gstarbob is on a distinguished road

If microsoft is making a zune phone, im sure they are tired of us poking our heads into every little thing they say or do

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
TexanTerminator14LOL
Experienced Member

TexanTerminator14LOL is on a distinguished road

If you bought it at Bestbuy, you would only be able to take back the Zune HD if you bought it within 30 days. That's how it worked for my laptop which went werid for some reason. I exchanged it for a new one just like that: course they only had one of the same model in Lake Charles, LA. So I had to pay $60 more plus for an extended warrenty.

Now that I'm through getting off task, it only works if you bought it within 30 days(or what the policy is at the store or dealer that you bought it from.), and if you have the receipt.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
sir justin

sir justin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sir justin

Dang...thanks though. For some reason I thought you could take it back and get a new Zune or exchange it for a new model if the hardware went wrong in it

Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
aimran
Squirt

aimran is on a distinguished road

You guys might want to take a look at this. This was a secret event held by Microsoft and they did spoke of the 'Zune Phone'. A video of the conference is also available.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Meekins

Meekins has a spectacular aura aboutMeekins has a spectacular aura about

No, There's Still No Zune Phone - Gearlog

linked off reddit

Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
LinkEdward
Jr. Zuner

LinkEdward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
You guys might want to take a look at this. This was a secret event held by Microsoft and they did spoke of the 'Zune Phone'. A video of the conference is also available.
If thats true, ill pee my pants

(not really)

Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Grimm312

Grimm312 is on a distinguished road

I'm still skeptical of a "Zune" phone. Although I think it's entirely plausible that WinMo 7 will have Zune integrated.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
Mariodjw
Experienced Member

Mariodjw will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Mariodjw

I still wont be getting my hopes up

Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
coryflett

coryflett is on a distinguished road

i think its time microsoft started doing what people want. i think it could work for them better than denying claims.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
RBN
Squirt

RBN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryflett View Post
i think its time microsoft started doing what people want. i think it could work for them better than denying claims.
you're right and guys nice history lesson of the rumored Zune phone I was waiting for something like it

Closed Thread