Go Back   Zune Boards > News and Website Related > Front Page Articles > Archive

Archive Archived Front Page Articles.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Pyho
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Pyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud of
Default Microsoft Denies Development of Zune Phone...Again

Image Credit: Long Zheng

Did you know denial is a river in Africa?
After Monday's Zune update, the web exploded with claims, originating from Long Zheng at iStartedSomething, that an updated driver offered definitive proof of a Zune Phone.
However, when questioned, a Microsoft spokesperson reiterated Robbie Bach's earlier statement, saying:
Quote:
The update was only maintenance and nothing consumer facing. As far as a 'Zune phone,' we have no plans to create a Zune phone. It makes sense that someday Zune could be part of a phone experience, but there have been no announcements about how or if that will happen.
This also comes after a job listing was posted at Microsoft asking for a 'Hardware Test Engineer' with "Working knowledge of cell-phone 2G and 3G technologies."

Could Microsoft be telling the truth? After all, couldn't these be references to the Zune integration into Windows Mobile?

Not according to Long Zheng. In the same post where he revealed his findings on the Zune driver he writes:
Quote:
Whilst it is possible there might be system-wide Zune integration into Windows Mobile 7, this particular driver references specific hardware IDs that are locked to a vendor (Microsoft) and product which under USB body regulations cannot be masked, thus this has to be Microsoft devices.
So how can Microsoft so blatantly deny a Zune Phone with such conclusive evidence?

[Via Neowin, Erictric, and iStartedSomething]

Last edited by Pyho; 01-30-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Creative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Creative Zune Send a message via MSN to Creative Zune

Quote:
So how can Microsoft so blatantly deny a Zune Phone with such conclusive evidence?
Simple, because they can.

EDIT : You can use this as the front page image

Last edited by Creative Zune; 01-27-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Pyho
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Pyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud of

And if they release a phone?
"Oh sorry, we were lying."
That'll go well with investors.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Creative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to all

Trust me their partners will be the first to know.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Pyho
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

First to know that they're lying?
I don't think that makes the lying any better.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyourheadoff View Post
First to know that they're lying?
I don't think that makes the lying any better.
No, they would be the first to know about their plan. It is usual for company's to deny claims even though there's evidence to supports it. They use this approach as a way to generate interest (through gossip) and the more people talk about it, the more people get hyped about it. I.E the apple tablet aka IPad.

Last edited by Creative Zune; 01-27-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Dark Phoenix
Banned
Senior Zuner

Dark Phoenix will become famous soon enough

They failed at honing the Zunes power and the Zune Phone will be another half-assed product by MS

Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Pyho
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Zune View Post
No, they would be the first to know about their plan. It is usual for company's to deny claims even though there's evidence to supports it. They use this approach as a way to generate interest (through gossip) and the more people talk about it, the more people get hyped about it. I.E the I Pad.
They usually say something like "We have no comment at this time" though.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
shinkukage09
Experienced Zuner

shinkukage09 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to shinkukage09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
They failed at honing the Zunes power and the Zune Phone will be another half-assed product by MS
Wait, what? What do you mean, "half-assed"? You're telling me the ZuneHD is "half-assed"? The only thing even remotely half-assed in the ZuneHD is it's internet browser.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Dark Phoenix
Banned
Senior Zuner

Dark Phoenix will become famous soon enough

no actually my bad the Zune Team likes to half- ass everything and dont have determination i could understand if Zune was made by another company like Sony but MS has resources to make millions of apps yes the browser was half assed but so are the apps PGR with Tegra could look way better trust me thats just the minimum graphics it can produce

Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyourheadoff View Post
They usually say something like "We have no comment at this time" though.
True, but sometimes they will answer your questions indirectly.

Quote:
The update was only maintenance and nothing consumer facing. As far as a 'Zune phone,' we have no plans to create a Zune phone. It makes sense that someday Zune could be part of a phone experience, but there have been no announcements about how or if that will happen.

Lets break this down

Quote:
The update was only maintenance and nothing consumer facing.
This is true.

Quote:
As far as a 'Zune phone,' we have no plans to create a Zune phone.
You notice how they say "we have no plans to create a zune phone" but this can be true because another company could be working on it, instead of them.

Quote:
It makes sense that someday Zune could be part of a phone experience
The key work in the sentence is "someday". They didn't say "they have no plans" ( like in the second quote) because they do have plans thats why he said it "makes sense"

Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
Pyho
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

I'm pretty sure authorizing another company to create a Zune Phone entails having 'plans.'
But I'm not here to argue corporate doublespeak so...
(Also I'm pretty sure that last phrase you pulled is a WinMo integration reference.)

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
classicrocker524
Zewbie

classicrocker524 is on a distinguished road

The reference to the phone could mean that windows phones could possible connect to zune software. Not necessarily a zune phone.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
Jaistu
Experienced Member

Jaistu is just really niceJaistu is just really niceJaistu is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Jaistu Send a message via Yahoo to Jaistu

This thread is proof of microsoft possibly lying to build hype.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
RBN
Squirt

RBN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrocker524 View Post
The reference to the phone could mean that windows phones could possible connect to zune software. Not necessarily a zune phone.
It makes sense that if there were going to make a media edition winmo7 there had to be a way to sync it with the zune software so you could have youre stuf in it. Maybe th updated drivers were a free pass for those comming phones. "maybe"

Quote:
No, they would be the first to know about their plan. It is usual for company's to deny claims even though there's evidence to supports it. They use this approach as a way to generate interest (through gossip) and the more people talk about it, the more people get hyped about it. I.E the apple tablet aka IPad.
One thing about that ipad thingy it not prctical cause it doesnt have flash so its crap. MS might make something better in the future.

Last edited by Seb; 01-28-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #16
FR33DOM
Zuner

FR33DOM is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL microsoft fail! LOL well at least theres going to be a zune phone win

Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
maniac1993
Zuner

maniac1993 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to maniac1993 Send a message via Yahoo to maniac1993

Quote:
Or how about Google's now phone The Nexus One.. So nice but was denied at first.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
FR33DOM
Zuner

FR33DOM is an unknown quantity at this point

how can they say no i mean its right there anyone that can read can see it and FYI i look and this is not fake in is in there you can look for yourself

Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
SteppingSplash
Half Bad
Expert Zuner

SteppingSplash has a spectacular aura aboutSteppingSplash has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinkukage09 View Post
Wait, what? What do you mean, "half-assed"? You're telling me the ZuneHD is "half-assed"? The only thing even remotely half-assed in the ZuneHD is it's internet browser.
Sorry to say it out loud to the fanboys, but the ZuneHD kinda was.
I've kinda thought of it as a "beta" product. Maybe just so Microsoft could see how much of the PMP share they could take up with a product in the same catagory as the iPod Touch... They might roll out the "Zune Phone" because they saw that consumers liked their "test product".

Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
Red Sky
lost in paradise with rae
Development Front
Retired Staff
Super ZunerĀ²

Red Sky is a name known to allRed Sky is a name known to allRed Sky is a name known to allRed Sky is a name known to allRed Sky is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Red Sky Send a message via Skype™ to Red Sky

Most people are missing the obvious explanation that windows mobile will be able to sync with the software. Not many USB IDs are needed for that to work. For example, in my experience, all HTC phones has the same USB ID (well, for the most part). There aren't very many companies that produce windows mobile devices. Most of the devices are made by HTC.

Closed Thread