Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Talk

Zune Talk Talk anything related to the Zune.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Ulatec
Zuner

Ulatec is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ulatec Send a message via Yahoo to Ulatec Send a message via Skype™ to Ulatec
Default Microsoft Sync aftermarket for your car audio solution!

/novel on

In my quest to learn more about Zune Car Audio solutions, I decided to go to the Ford dealership today and check out Microsoft Sync with my Zune.

I arrived in my Expedition and parked in front so the salesmen could see me and I could walk away looking aloof. I headed in the direction of the ONLY new big SUV on the lot, a Lincoln Navigator. Sure enough a 20 something kid in a suit and tie came running out eager to help me.

I ask him where all the Expeditions where and he said .. no demand no shipments. I told him I understood and that while I loved my current SUV, I was interested in a newer one with sync and promptly displayed my 120. He said well let me show another SUV with sync(Ford Flex - VERY nice pearl white on the showroom floor) we climbed in and he flipped the ignition to ACC and it came alive. He opened the center console and said "plug your USB in here
luckily I had it in my pocket
. I told him I read you where not supposed to use the USB and he assured me that it was ok... I hesitated and plugged it in figuring I was about to either get them to buy me a new one of it was going to go in for warranty work.

To my suprise the SYNC synth-voice exuberently stated that it had detected a new device and started to provided options! about 5 seconds into it the display in the car went blank! I figured well I was right and atleast my Zune was safe and thier $40k ride was in need of a new system! Turns out the battery died.. 4 showroom cars later we found one with a good battery. He told me people using the stuff in the showroom cars all day with out them running the car kills the batteries.

We then climbed into a new Focus and pluged it in! Synth-voice stated Device found > Generating playlist > Available commands.. I stated "Play artist 50 cent." and BAM it started bumping "In da Club" I hit the button again and said "play artist Pantera" and "Mouth for War" starts playing!

So this is all old news to some of you... what is news is he then tells me "You know... if you really like your truck and you like Sync... as of last week for $500 we can install sync as a aftermarket product in your car." I was quite impressed! He did know a ton of details, (to be expected but he was doing a great job so far) like if it was Ford only cars or if they would ship to non-Ford resalers but he promissed to call me with the details. He also did not know if they could be combined with the video/Nav headunit or we could get video out with aftermarket sync. He did tell me if would work on Ford cars for sure and not only did it do all that but it also has a onstar-ish safety feature of calling the police if you were involved in a accident. There are other great features sync has but it is unclear what options are in the aftermarket solutions.

I will be heading back over there next week with a video camera to document it once we get a little more info and he is ready to look like he knows what he is doing.

I have not been able to find anything else about this on the web, so I will consider this "You heard it on zB first!"

Sorry for the Novel... hope it is a good post and you were board anyway.

Charlie

/novel off

Sync: Voice-activated mobile phone and digital music system for your car

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Zombii Matt
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Retired Admin
Zune Priest

Zombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offer
Send a message via AIM to Zombii Matt Send a message via MSN to Zombii Matt Send a message via Skype™ to Zombii Matt

Wow nice
i wish i could get the sync in my 2000 honda civic

Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
SilentWalrus
Knowledgable Walrus
Support Team
Expert Zuner

SilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to behold

That's really cool.
Too bad there isn't Microsoft Sync in my 1991 Chevy Lumina.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Ulatec
Zuner

Ulatec is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ulatec Send a message via Yahoo to Ulatec Send a message via Skype™ to Ulatec

Once we get more details we will know more if Sync will be available on non-ford cars.
Sync appears to be a unit so I don't see why you couldn't. If you could order one you should be able to install it like any other head unit.. We will see. The hat they are offering it as a aftermarket product is a HUGE step.

Pioneer's LINC is trying to be the SYNC killer... would be funny to see them try to get licensing for Zune. I think it's a possibility since one of the "SYNC killer's" series F is running Windows automotive OS according to Engadget.

Video: Pioneer's AVIC-F Series of in-car navigators to take on Sync - Engadget

Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
ACE
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

ACE is a name known to allACE is a name known to allACE is a name known to allACE is a name known to all
Send a message via Yahoo to ACE

yeah, Sync is pretty nice! Want!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

I posted a pic of this in the sb the other day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread