Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > General Zune Software

General Zune Software Ask for help regarding the Zune software. Zune Marketplace and Zune Pass issues also go here.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Pyho
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Pyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud of
Default Microsoft Update problems when installing? Check here.

Are you receiving an error much like the one below (with error codes 0x80248015 or 0x8000ffff, or anything else related to Microsoft Update)?

(Image outdated.)

There are two solutions to this error, though the first is preferable.
A Preferred solution
Note that Microsoft Update and Windows Update are two separate things - you may have updated your computer, but you might not necessarily have Microsoft Update. Windows Update is the default updater, while Microsoft Update is a new updater that can update more than just Windows.

To install the Zune software, install Microsoft Update first. (Use Internet Explorer) If you have trouble doing this or the Zune software nevertheless fails to install, continue onto the alternate solution.
B Alternate solution
This solution will break the update functionality of the Zune software, and thus should only be used as a last resort. For example, you will be unable to automatically update from Zune 4.0 to the next version; you will have to follow these instructions again.

To install the Zune software, follow the steps below:

1. Download the full installation package for Zune 4.0.
  2. Run ZunePackage40.exe to extract the setup files to your computer
  3. Go to location of files extracted in step 2
  4. Run startzune.exe by double-clicking the file
  5. Proceed with Zune setup
It looks like Microsoft really wants people to use Microsoft Update over Windows Update.

Last edited by Pyho; 04-21-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Internet Explorer

Pyho is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Stickied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
speedbump1
Zewbie

speedbump1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot. I've been banging my head trying to get this thing to install. Solution A worked!

speedbump1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
omglauraduh
Zewbie

omglauraduh is on a distinguished road

I tried both and I'm still in the same shape. For some reason, when I go to windows update or microsoft update it freezes up and stops responding. It does this everytime I try to visit the websites. I just got my Zune, and I really want to use it. Is there anything else I can do? I have no idea why the windows and microsoft webistes do that crap.

omglauraduh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Pyho
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Pyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud ofPyho has much to be proud of

Are you are you visiting the websites in Internet Explorer?

Pyho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
BubbaGump
Banned
Squirt

BubbaGump is on a distinguished road
Default I love you.

I would like to say that I love you. I have had problems getting the Zune software on my new laptop. You are my hero.

BubbaGump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Apokalips1337
Squirt

Apokalips1337 is on a distinguished road

I was having the same problem, every time i plugged in my zune it would say update needed so i said okay than it said that it needed the microsoft update, i have no idea what to do and the zune software is not putting songs on my zune, i will drag the songs to my zune and it will say album added but it never actually does anything. I tried reinstalling zune last night but it would not let me put it back because i needed a better version of media center 2005 which is for vista, i am running xp??? I ****ed up so bad that i had to restore my computer. Zune still wont add music, and ideas?

Apokalips1337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
wedoboop
Jr. Zuner

wedoboop is on a distinguished road

this still wont work for me i try to download microsoft update but it says the link is no valid

The link requested is not found

wedoboop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
xxjahasotoxx

xxjahasotoxx has a spectacular aura aboutxxjahasotoxx has a spectacular aura about
Talking zune error message by pass

I've found a different way of fixing this error or rather by passing it simply extract the files from the zune package go past the strartzune.exe and into either the folder named x86 or x64 I have have always used x86 then into the packages folder (this next step is easier if you put the view from icons to list) then install these in this order:

dotnetfx.exe

dw20shared.msi

msxml6_x86_sp1.msi

any of the other updates ending in enu.exe
E.x.:windowsxp-kb915865-v11-x86-enu.exe

you don't really have to really have to restart to then install the soft ware by just running zune-x86.msi

personally I've installed it this way on an un updated xp with out any problems.

xxjahasotoxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyourheadoff View Post

[snipped]
B Alternate solution
This solution will break the update functionality of the Zune software, and thus should only be used as a last resort. For example, you will be unable to automatically update from Zune 3.1 to the next version; you will have to follow these instructions again.

To install t...[snipped]
Are you sure about this? The complete installer just bypasses Microsoft Update by including everything Update would detect that you are missing. It shouldn't affect anything about your installation that would block you from automatic updates in the future...

NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Rage821
Zewbie

Rage821 is on a distinguished road

i still get the same error
is it the software or my pc

Rage821 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
BJStamper
Zewbie

BJStamper is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Still cannot download Zune software

Help! I have tried the suggestions from "Pokeyourheadoff" plus other ideas and I still cannot download the Zune software.

My computer hard drive had to be wiped a couple of weeks ago and most everything has been reloaded except for Zune. I keep getting the error message "System Updates Required" "Zune software installation can't continue until you've installed one or more required updates". The thing is - I HAVE installed every update we can find. I even took my computer back to the people who fixed it, and they confirmed that I have all the current updates installed.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I miss my Zune.

BJStamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
oshaguar
Zewbie

oshaguar is on a distinguished road
Default Just extract and setup

It works finally Just extract the software that you download through the Zune website using Winzip or any other good unzipping software and install through the folders that are included.

oshaguar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
xXxFaustxXx
Zewbie

xXxFaustxXx is on a distinguished road
Angry None of this stuff helps

cant download microsoft updater
cant download full install package
cant download from zune.net

any time i click on a download remotely zune or microsoft related i get get IE cannot display this web page.

I have a copy of Zune 3.1 but i cant install it because i keep getting Error Code: 0x80072efd Cannot Connect with microsoft update

help me please, im dangerously close to taking this thing out back and smashing it with a hammer. its not worth the hassle

xXxFaustxXx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
tabba
Zewbie

tabba is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm new but Everytime I plug my Zune into my computer it does not connect to my Zune I've uninstalled, and redownloaded it so many times. I've tried different spot to connect it to. Restarting my player and my computer. I even called the company! Though they sucked at helping I really need help! and it would be much appericated, I've been dealing with this for almost two weeks :[ help?

tabba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #16
IMHOtepishe
Zewbie

IMHOtepishe is on a distinguished road

Please,help me!
My relatives delete my Zune Software. And when I try to install it again but it writes:
''The latest version of the Zune software is already installed on this computer.No update is avaliable.''

I tried to find any zune software file-but I can't find any one.(re-installing windows is not variant)
OC-Windows Vista Business 32-bit
PS.Sorry for my english-I'm Russian.

IMHOtepishe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
bosartig
Zewbie

bosartig is on a distinguished road
Default Ive been messing with this thing for 2 straight days...

I had issues installing, so I fomatted and reinstalled windows xp media center.... (just cuz I like to every once in a while anyway...)

Still had the same issue: (cant install because of a required update) I had ran and re ran updates until it says there are no more. No antivirus, no firewall, etc...

Ive tried the above mentioned method to no avail... Ive also tried several things found while searching.

Now Im fairly convinced that Microsoft is made up of a bunch of absolute retards. Im selling the Zune and getting an Ipod...

I forgot to mention that the same software had installed without any issues whatsoever on my HP Tablet PC (running win xp) But I want it on my desktop.... (selling the tablet, so I can buy an Ipad)

Last edited by bosartig; 04-29-2010 at 05:49 PM.

bosartig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
Radb707
Zewbie

Radb707 is on a distinguished road

NEW SOLUTION.

I couldn't install it because it said it couldn't access Microsoft Update. So I just used the install pack in the alternative method up there and it was installed successfully.

However I couldn't access Zune Marketplace OR sign in. If you are having this problem, first make sure Zune is allowed through your firewall, and all that. If you normally DO NOT use Internet Explorer, click on internet explorer and make sure you can get online. I couldn't because it kept looking for a proxy server or looking for a different port. So I changed it to automatically detect. I was able to get online through Internet Explorer and somehow it let me through in Zune Software AND solved the Microsoft Update problem when you try to install.

Radb707 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
NewZuner30
Zewbie

NewZuner30 is on a distinguished road

i m a new user of zune 30 gb.the software in my zune device is 3.2.
but the cd for the pc is 1.0.after i installed it needed update.i downloaded the 4.0 version for pc.but it needs microsoft updated.i want to skip this anyhow.

i tried the solution B given in top of this thread but after installing it says mscoree.dll file is missing.
what to do.plz help.

NewZuner30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
NewZuner30
Zewbie

NewZuner30 is on a distinguished road

plz help me.im getting irrited wid dis zune.
i cant install zune software 4.0 altough i have downloaded it.
i want to skip the update.
even the alternative option didnt work.
it is saying mscoree.dll is not found so cant install.
plz help or i will throw this zune 30 gb in dustbin.

i have 3.2 version in my device and 1.0 in my pc.
how to upgrade to higher version.

NewZuner30 is offline   Reply With Quote