Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > The Archives

The Archives Classic threads from more simple times.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
nogain
Squirt

nogain is on a distinguished road
Default cover flow app

Cover Flow App

Okay this app would be basically the same thing as the coverflow on the ipod if you have never seen that ( which is almost impossible these days with all the ipod commercials) it basically allows you to look through your albums by allowing to to go through the album covers.

Since this would be in landscape mode pressing down (or right since its sideways im a bit confused on how to say it) would move it to the right and pressing up (left?) would move it to the left. pressing center would select the album and start playing it the play button would also do this. the back button would bring you back to the coverflow or if you are already in the coverflow exit the app. Sorry about outdated button stuff i only have a 30gig so i dont know much about the newer zunes.

umm... since i really dont know much about C# there isnt much i can suggest other that to do it in landscape mode. Also this might be better as a hack or mod i wasnt sure so i posted it here.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Locke
Not to be trifled with
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, been requested before, pretty much not gonna happen.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
nogain
Squirt

it has? When? i searched for it first, oh and do you have any specific reasons why like is it not possible on the zune?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Locke
Not to be trifled with
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Well, XNA doesn't exactly give us all of the Zune's resources, and even if it did the thing can't do any form of hardware acceleration. Also, most programmers here don't feel the need to copy Apple. It's really not practical unless it has hardware built to support it and is integrated into the firmware; the Zune has neither.

Last edited by Locke; 11-19-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
nogain
Squirt

Hmm would a hack be able to do it, And i can understand that many programmers dont want to coppy apple but i was a little surprised when the zune didnt have it i mean with the landscape screen the picture would have owned the ipods version.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Locke
Not to be trifled with
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Which is, of course, the reason for this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...black_crop.jpg
They built the thing around the interface this go-around, accelerometer and all. To get a decent cover flow, you'd need to do the same thing with the Zune: build it with the feature in mind. As for a firmware hack, it's impossible without either corporate espionage, magic, or someone getting really lucky at a guess as to what the private key for the digital signature is. : p

Last edited by Locke; 11-20-2008 at 06:50 AM.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
nogain
Squirt

oh okay... oh well

Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
Ryuk

Ryuk will become famous soon enough

I know it might be kind of disappointing, but it's cool to break out of the "Apple Funk". The main reason this is not going to happen is because people don't want to copy Apple (like you acknowledged above). Don't stop the ideas though, we need all the help we can get.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
Seb
Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies!
So mainstream, I'm a standard
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Seb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Seb Send a message via Skype™ to Seb

If you want a cover flow, buy an ipod.
I hate the feature anyway.. I rarely look through albums.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
Moocow146
Experienced Zuner

Moocow146 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Moocow146

If you think about it, doesn't the Zune come standard with coverflow?

Coverflow is nothing more than the album art lined up for you to scroll through to select one, and when I go into the music list on my zune, I just click right or left until I find albums and *gasp*! I find all my album art lined up for me to scroll through. Basically, we have a vertical coverflow

Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
Dramamine
Zuner

Dramamine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dramamine Send a message via Skype™ to Dramamine

But it's full of small albums.

It'd be better if you could have larger images.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Moocow146
Experienced Zuner

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the coverflow is just like the accelerometer in the newer iPod nano - they are just there to sell better and don't offer any real practical use. I wouldn't have any problem with someone developing an app for the Zune like coverflow, but I'm just saying time would be better spent on something else.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
nogain
Squirt

i mean its not really for functionality i just though it would be cool to have it on a zune

Old 11-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Moocow146
Experienced Zuner

I agree, it would be a neat little thing to have, but I'm sticking with my previous positions.