Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > The Archives > H&M General Talk > Zune Hacks & Mods > Requests

Requests Have a great idea? Request hacks here!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Eximius
Zewbie

Eximius is on a distinguished road
Default Range hack for Zune Car Pack v2

ive seen the hack for the other transmitter, but wanted to know if there was one for the v2 transmitter. i have a Subaru, so the antenna is formed into the rear defroster = horrible reception.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-09-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
drperry
Squirt

drperry is on a distinguished road

I opened mine up tonight... And I can't really seem to find anything that's an obvious antenna...

I wanted to take out the magnet... Wouldn't want that accidentally coming in contact with the Zune, lol.

I'm going to do some tinkering, and hope that I don't fry it, lol

Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
repenttokyo
Zewbie

repenttokyo is on a distinguished road

Any Updates on this? I too am very interested in the range hack, as I just got my transmitter today and it is TERRIBLE.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Doesn't look like any updates so far, nope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
Criztaztrophe

Criztaztrophe is a jewel in the roughCriztaztrophe is a jewel in the rough

What does the range hack do? I dont have a transmitter for my Jeep (YET) but I would like to know if there is a direction to head in before I buy some kind of car pack.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

A range hack extends the range of the transmitter, which is famously small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
Criztaztrophe

Ahh, cool, thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
runtohell121
*disappeared*
Zune Priest

runtohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to runtohell121

but the down point is.. if you extend it.. other car that hav the same radio station *cough* almost all fm transmitter are weak in range.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
repenttokyo
Zewbie

my information is obviously not welcome here.

Last edited by repenttokyo; 12-16-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Criztaztrophe

Im thinking about just getting a new head unit that has the audio jack in it.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
runtohell121
*disappeared*
Zune Priest

runtohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criztaztrophe View Post
Im thinking about just getting a new head unit that has the audio jack in it.
that's the good idea.. spending too much on fm transmitter=no good.. fm transmitter sound quality can't beat car deck unit

Old 12-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #12
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

Justananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offer

lol "head unit",
I'll take two.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:34 AM   #13
Criztaztrophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justananomaly View Post
lol "head unit",
I'll take two.
Considering you significant other is ready to pop one out (hopefully head first) you can have two by order of the king.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
repenttokyo
Zewbie

Last edited by repenttokyo; 12-16-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #15
runtohell121
*disappeared*
Zune Priest

don't BMW usually have an aux port you can probably add an extension of aux port from the head unit of the bmw.. but will cost you $$$.. most of the standard car head unit that comes with the car do have more ports for you to add stuff.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #16
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

itsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant future

Has there been any progress on this front? I've got a car pack and it was unusable when I bought it (haven't tried the latest firmware update yet, but I doubt it made an improvement significant enough to be game-changing).

There are two vectors through which such a hack might be implemented:

- Opening up the car pack unit and modifying it to amp it up (e.g. by removing a resistor or something)
- Hacking the firmware and somehow managing to load it onto the car pack unit

Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
berdon

berdon has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to berdon

It's pretty easy to extend the range of most FM transmitters. Find the antenna wire (if the company wasn't lazy, it's most likely marked), unsolder the wire, solder your own wire (preferably around 32 inches) in place of the old antenna and viola, you're range should be about half a city block.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #18
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

itsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant future

No one has to tear down their Zune car pack, because Microsoft already did it for you for their FCC application. This should provide all the info necessary to locate any viable antenna attach points (no point in opening one up if there isn't any way to complete the hack).

It appears that the aluminum backing is glued on, which sucks pretty seriously (as that means there won't be a clean way to put it back together again).

Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
I'd like to indicate that your information was certainly appreciated, at least before you nuked it. I'm sorry about the double post thing, though them's the rules - you got the warning because of the 4th post. Just make sure to avoid posting consecutively in a thread until a 24 hour interval has passed between posts. This forum has a multi-quote feature; the button's near the normal quote button. It doesn't quite work right though, so a more functional way is just to open the quote page for several different posts in multiple tabs, then collating the quote blocks into one large post. This way, you can quote multiple posts without risking a warning.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #20
grandrob
Zewbie

grandrob is on a distinguished road

After some searching, I think I found the antenna on the circuit card. So I disassembled the unit went to my car and plugged it in and got the same crappy static then I touched where I thought the antenna was and got a good reception from my stereo. I took the circuit card back to my garage and I soldered in the new antenna and I am happy with the results. THE WARNING, TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IS FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES. Will post pics as soon as I can. Grandrob