Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Download XNA Applications > Zune 3.x

Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
sectionboy
Jr. Zuner

sectionboy is on a distinguished road
Default A zune player with clock and asian language support

update3::
v0.11
Protected songs are now shown as red, and will be skipped. Might help with some reboot issues. jazp0.11.rar

or jazp0.11.rar

update2::
v0.1b. XNA3.0BETA and zune firmware3.0 compatible. Removed ff and rw functions, should be called 0.099b

update::
v0.1 released. Report bugs in this thread please. Thank you.

In case you haven't noticed:
the zune font is included in the package.
adjust time - press and hold down center at "playing" screen.
select the whole genre - press and hold down center at "browsing" screen.
skip to next/prev album - right/left at "playlist" screen.

Limitations won't be solved any time soon:
1) can't turn off backlight (device limitation)
2) can't fast forward and rewind (device limitation)
3) can't resume from last play (device limitation)
4) reboot after exit (device limitation)
5) No touch pad support ( I only have a 30G).

--------------------------------------------------

Hi, guys,
Inspired by Adrian Vinca's zune clock, I've been writing a zune player with clock and asian language support. Check it out here:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I am also adding the resuming function for audiobook genre. Now I would like to hear from you guys what else I should add into it? sleep timer maybe?

Here are some more pics:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/...524e7477_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/...9f408ef1_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/...414b7cf8_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/...4fa2345c_o.jpg

Last edited by sectionboy; 11-19-2008 at 02:18 PM.

sectionboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
USMCWarrior
Experienced Zuner

USMCWarrior is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to USMCWarrior Send a message via MSN to USMCWarrior Send a message via Yahoo to USMCWarrior

That's pretty nifty!

USMCWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
Space Toast
Poot on Newts
Lemon Hater
Retired Global
Zune Lord

Space Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Space Toast

good idea.
Nicely done.

Space Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
withthelightsout
Jr. Zuner

withthelightsout is on a distinguished road

do we have an eta on a release? or you just gonna tease us?
suggestions:
alarm clock.
visualization
downloadable switchblade,
molecular transporter.
seriously though, nice work.

withthelightsout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Soccerfreak24
Expert Zuner

Soccerfreak24 is just really niceSoccerfreak24 is just really niceSoccerfreak24 is just really nice

Lol, nice work! I'd suggest a stop watch.

Soccerfreak24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Red Sky
lost in paradise with rae
Development Front
Retired Staff
Super ZunerĀ²

Red Sky is a name known to allRed Sky is a name known to allRed Sky is a name known to allRed Sky is a name known to allRed Sky is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Red Sky Send a message via Skype™ to Red Sky

looks good
good job

Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
trustaugustus
Experienced Zuner

trustaugustus is on a distinguished road

Video Link is dead. But the pics look cool. So the concept is building a game/app that will function like a firmware where asian characters are supported?

trustaugustus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Spike!

Spike! is on a distinguished road

As awesome as this is, I really can't say i'd ever want to go into games, and start up another app before I even listen to my music just for the clock and asian character support. Plus, being in a game eats up your battery pretty fast, and there's certain things you have no control over, like the backlight setting. I mean if none of those things bother you then great, it's just a shame that the actual firmware can't be modded like this becuase frankly this would end up being more of a hassle then it's worth, for me anyway, having to start it up every time I turn my Zune on.

Spike! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
sectionboy
Jr. Zuner

I don't have an eta just yet, but I might release it after I finish coding for "now playing list". I am think about 1 month out.

Spike, to me this is just a pet project. But you are right about one thing, the lack of asian language support is a shame on zune. If they weren't so, IMHO, unbelivably incompetent and may I say, arrogant to acknowledge this problem, I won't be doing this. It's already more than one year since the release of the 1st gen zune, and my Chinese and Japanese songs still show up as boxes. We did hope fw2.5 could solve this issue, but MS just kept failing us. When I saw the xna release, I just wanted to take this problem in my own hand.

Let me run offtopic a bit more. To be honest with you guys, I don't believe XNA for zune will go anywhere. Today, apple just announced $199 for 8G iphone. I am not trolling here, but iphone/itouch is simply a much capable platform as a handheld device. Did you guys see the monkey ball demo? On the software side, apple's SDK has been out for months, when xna is still shooting for xmas release. I am not saying xna will not be successful on xbox or pc platform, but on zune, don't keep you expectation too high, enjoy what you have now, which isn't much .

Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
Tiptup300
Experienced Member

Tiptup300 has disabled reputation

XNA for the Zune isn't supposed to get revenue for MS. It just gives the users the ability to make their own games. I didn't buy the zune to make games for, I bought it since it's a great mp3 player. Now that I can make games for it, Sweet!, I have a bigger audience to share my free games with.

Tiptup300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
Condor.Hero
Squirt

Condor.Hero is on a distinguished road

Is this going to be limited to the original Zune or will it be supported by Zune 2 as well?

Condor.Hero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
runtohell121
*disappeared*
Zune Priest

runtohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud ofruntohell121 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to runtohell121

lol pretty nice right now i guess.. hopefully microsoft/zune will just give us the asian language support already..

runtohell121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
funoffan
Zewbie

funoffan is on a distinguished road

Great, cant wait to see this in my zune

unless zune starts selling in asia, there won't be any asian language support from microsoft. Now the iPhone 3g gonna totally control the asia market.

奕神

Last edited by LedZepp; 06-11-2008 at 10:58 PM.

funoffan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 02:25 AM   #14
Spike!

Spike! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtohell121 View Post
lol pretty nice right now i guess.. hopefully microsoft/zune will just give us the asian language support already..
I doubt it.... I mean it'd be nice but I don't think it's all that high on thier priority list. Which is kind of sad really since it'd be pretty simple for them to include it in an Update.

Spike! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
sectionboy
Jr. Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor.Hero View Post
Is this going to be limited to the original Zune or will it be supported by Zune 2 as well?
zune 2 will be fine, but I only have the 1st gen, so there won't be any touch function, only button pressing.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
Condor.Hero
Squirt

Condor.Hero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectionboy View Post
zune 2 will be fine, but I only have the 1st gen, so there won't be any touch function, only button pressing.
Nice... I'm just interested in the asian character display. I have a huge collection of Chinese songs I can't really read =/

Condor.Hero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #17
stantang
Squirt

stantang is on a distinguished road

I'm very interested in how did you managed to get the Chinese fonts with the player. Everyone has the same problem when comes to building the spritefonts for Chinese (whole set). Did you prefilter the words?

stantang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
jtloo
Zewbie

jtloo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectionboy View Post
I don't have an eta just yet, but I might release it after I finish coding for "now playing list". I am think about 1 month out.

Spike, to me this is just a pet project. But you are right about one thing, the lack of asian language support is a shame on zune. If they weren't so, IMHO, unbelivably incompetent and may I say, arrogant to acknowledge this problem, I won't be doing this. It's already more than one year since the release of the 1st gen zune, and my Chinese and Japanese songs still show up as boxes. We did hope fw2.5 could solve this issue, but MS just kept failing us. When I saw the xna release, I just wanted to take this problem in my own hand.

Let me run offtopic a bit more. To be honest with you guys, I don't believe XNA for zune will go anywhere. Today, apple just announced $199 for 8G iphone. I am not trolling here, but iphone/itouch is simply a much capable platform as a handheld device. Did you guys see the monkey ball demo? On the software side, apple's SDK has been out for months, when xna is still shooting for xmas release. I am not saying xna will not be successful on xbox or pc platform, but on zune, don't keep you expectation too high, enjoy what you have now, which isn't much .
I look forward to see your release version

jtloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 02:10 AM   #19
stantang
Squirt

stantang is on a distinguished road

I don't we will see its release ever, the asian text issue is not something that can be fix. I believe he did filter the words out for the song he shown in his demo.

stantang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
sectionboy
Jr. Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantang View Post
I don't we will see its release ever, the asian text issue is not something that can be fix. I believe he did filter the words out for the song he shown in his demo.

It's just decade-old dot array font, instead of spritefont.