Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > The Archives

The Archives Classic threads from more simple times.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
andreD
Zewbie

andreD is on a distinguished road
Default [SOLVED] How much space does a dvd movie take up on a hard drive?

Hey guys,
just put Land of The Dead on my hard drive and it took just over 8 gigs of space. I'm new to all this so is that about right? Can i reduce that amount, i used dvd decrypter and it was pretty quick.
Thanks
Andre

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
meth0dical

meth0dical is on a distinguished road

it depends on the movie length, the audio track types, and the special features.
if you just select the main movie and stereo audio you could probably get the size down to about 4-5 gigs. also if you compress the movie in the divx codec you could get it down to 700mb-1gb depending on the resolution and bitrate. the downside is that it could take a couple hours depending on your computer.
i use dvd fab platinum because they stay on top of the dvd protection methods, meaning you can back up all of your dvds. it gives you the option of copying the complete disc, or any specific chapters you want. it also lets you pick the audio tracks you want to copy/rip. it has a built in encoder so you can rip dvds to a whole bunch of formats, zune included.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
Gregory
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Gregory is a glorious beacon of lightGregory is a glorious beacon of lightGregory is a glorious beacon of light

Usually 4.7-8 GB.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Gow
RIP 2007-2011
Retired Admin
Premium Member
Expert Zuner

Gow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Gow Send a message via MSN to Gow Send a message via Skype™ to Gow

You can also compress the DVD video for portable use.

Freeware converters

Just like in Greg's sig, check out the freeware converters if you are looking for portable video size but if your aim is a 1:1 copy of a DVD it depends on the disc, whether it is DVD-5 or DVD-9. Most DVDs presently made are Dual Layered/Double Layered alias DVD-9 and take up that 8gb. A few maybe single layer and will take up 4.7gb.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Man.
Zune Freak

Man. will become famous soon enough

Use dvd decrypter but onlu rip the movie not all the other stuff. That way the size will slightly be reduced plus you'll just have one single .vob file.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Space Toast
Poot on Newts
Lemon Hater
Retired Global
Zune Lord

Space Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant futureSpace Toast has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Space Toast

as stated before it depends on the amount of audio and video files. the menu options and the menu's themselves. and previews and extra content so some video converters you can manually choose what you want decrypted. but otherwise about what greg saidif you dont delete those extras

Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
the Pl4gue
Super ZunerĀ²

the Pl4gue is a jewel in the roughthe Pl4gue is a jewel in the rough

If you just get the movie itself it can be around 700 MB. If you rip the whole DVD then it's usually, like you said, 8 GB.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
AquaToad
Experienced Member

AquaToad has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to AquaToad

if its too much,just compress it

Old 02-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
meth0dical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanlawliet View Post
If you just get the movie itself it can be around 700 MB. If you rip the whole DVD then it's usually, like you said, 8 GB.
good luck getting a dvd down to 700mb without compressing it with divx. raw dvd will be close to 5gb for 100mins with 2 channel audio. add a gig if you want to rip the 5.1 audio track as well. we've already answered this so i dont see why this thread is still going.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
mangodroplet

mangodroplet is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mangodroplet Send a message via Skype™ to mangodroplet

why don't you just use videora to reduce the files to zune-size? :\

or...am I missing something here?
My three pirates movies are like 1.5 gigs, and they're all good quality on my zune....

Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
the Pl4gue
Super ZunerĀ²

the Pl4gue is a jewel in the roughthe Pl4gue is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meth0dical View Post
good luck getting a dvd down to 700mb without compressing it with divx. raw dvd will be close to 5gb for 100mins with 2 channel audio. add a gig if you want to rip the 5.1 audio track as well. we've already answered this so i dont see why this thread is still going.
I meant by compressing it with divx or xvid. Ripping the dvd to all these wierd file types so you can watch it on your PC the same way you would on a DVD player is a waste of space.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Azraelw3x
Experienced Zuner

Azraelw3x is on a distinguished road

A lot of the bulk can be reduced, as people have said, by using correct compression. Auto Gordion Knot (in combination with DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink) is great for video on your computer. You can use it and then have the Zune software convert that further to fit on your Zune - shouldn't be anywhere near 4 GB.

For a direct conversion, there are a bunch of utilities out there - most of which cost money. Do what you will. =P

Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
joej
Zune Guardian

joej is on a distinguished road

ive had some movies compressed to 200 mb and still have good quality i use the psp movies from pspiso.com if that helps saves alot of converting time

Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
jackluo923
Senior Zuner

jackluo923 has a spectacular aura aboutjackluo923 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to jackluo923

It's best to convert the DVD to DIVX or any other form of mpeg4. Also use ACC audio codec or WMA professional. THis way, you'll have the best quality/size ratio.

You could use magic ISO to compress the mpeg4 video by 40% further by compressing it into .uif file. .uif file can be decompressed on the fly so you don't have to decompress everything before watching the video.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
zachnehrenberg

zachnehrenberg will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to zachnehrenberg Send a message via Yahoo to zachnehrenberg Send a message via Skype™ to zachnehrenberg

If you want the movie to stay the same quality, and still not take up much space, I recomend you use free dvd ripper. It is slow, but you can set it to rip to the divX format, which is very good quality and small size too. Your movies could take up anywhare between 700mb and 1gb.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
meth0dical

^we're already solved this issue... did you even bother to read the thread?