Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > General Zune Software

General Zune Software Ask for help regarding the Zune software. Zune Marketplace and Zune Pass issues also go here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Aslan649
Zewbie

Aslan649 is on a distinguished road
Default Microsoft Zune has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the...

Ok, this started happening when the breaker went off and my computer completely shut down improperly. I tried various attempts at installing/uninstalling to fix the issue. I tried to use a restore point, but it says after it tries to go to those points it is unable too. I'm pretty much clueless on what to do next... any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
Harper1
Zewbie

Harper1 is on a distinguished road
Angry Frustrated

I have been having this same problem within the last couple of days. Mine wasnt even the result of a breaker going. I was in the middle of doing something when Zune told me it must shut down. After closing the application, I tried re-opening to this same error message. Rebooted... same message... again and again and again. So I uninstalled and re-installed. Same message. Windows updates, virus scans, you name it, I've done it. Nothing is working. Somebody help, please!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
Gow
RIP 2007-2011
Retired Admin
Premium Member
Expert Zuner

Gow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Gow Send a message via MSN to Gow Send a message via Skype™ to Gow

Tried Disc Defragmentation? Computer outs and other stuff can cause fragmentation of the hard drive, which a simple defrag can fix.

By the way, which operating system are you using? This helps me to figure out what tricks can be done. Like if the installation has become corrupted it can be fixed with a UnZoone uninstall that wipes the registry junk away.

Another question is what does it specifically say for an error in the crash window? Something along the lines of Error Code E0FOE is what you are looking for.

I am also taking a stab in the dark and assuming that you are using the Zune 2.0 software. If you notice any particular instances of it crashing like playing a certain file or doing a certain action it might be useful.

Once we can gather some more information on this crash a solution might be forthcoming.

I would also take a look at the http://forums.zune.net/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=3 and if you need some help digging through it I will do so once I have more information so I know what I am looking for.

I find the most common reasons for a program crashing is A) Bad/Corrupt Installation B) Conflicting Software C) Problem in Software code D) Anti-Virus Conflict. Although it can be something totally different.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
kensmith
Zewbie

kensmith is on a distinguished road
Default Same problem

I have the exact same problem and have searched high and low for some sort of answer with no results. Someone out there PLEEZ help us!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Marshillboy
Pending
Elite Zuner

Marshillboy is a name known to allMarshillboy is a name known to allMarshillboy is a name known to allMarshillboy is a name known to allMarshillboy is a name known to all

I had the same problem happen to me, but I just went to "C:\Program Files\Zune" and directly double-clicked and ran zune.exe, rather than use the shortcut. It fixed all my problems with Zune. Crazy weird, but it worked.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Kawada S.
Zewbie

Kawada S. is on a distinguished road

I've been having this same problem too, it making me really regret purchasing a Zune. It's even now gotten to the point where it doesn't even connect when I plug in my zune. Oh, and Marshillboy, your advice didn't seem to work. I still got "Microsoft Zune had encountered a problem and needs to close message"

Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
kensmith
Zewbie

Default Still no worky

Yep, I tried Marshillboy's idea too, but to no avail. I guess my Zune is now just an archive of all my music files. Very disappointed. Loved it when it worked properly, all of 2 months.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Gregory
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Gregory is a glorious beacon of lightGregory is a glorious beacon of lightGregory is a glorious beacon of light

Try the directions in my signature.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
wyckedcombo17
Experienced Member

wyckedcombo17 will become famous soon enough

not to be redundant, but i tryed your idea to, Marshillboy. I have the problem when scrolling thru on the 'list' part of collection. i have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but just throwing it out there

Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
kensmith
Zewbie

Default Still the same

Sorry Gregory,
Tried the UnZoone and reinstall fix. Same error as it was before. Crap, I was hoping it would work. Thanks anyway.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
DJ_SuperSync
Squirt

DJ_SuperSync has disabled reputation

wyckedcombo17, Did you enable any additional columns in the list view other than the defaults when the crash started happening? Possibly the crash is occurring do to one of the columns that was enabled if so? You can try resetting the columns back to default by deleting the following regkey (it will go back to defaults on the next software launch, and recreate the key if you add additional columns....I tried it first

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Zune\Shell\TrackListVisibi lities

Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Dizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Dizzy

If the current software doesn't work, you can always downgrade: http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/com...supported.html

Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Cursor
Zewbie

Cursor is on a distinguished road

I had this problem as well. The downgraded version of the software worked, but when I went to upgrade again, it died all over again.

Since I've basically done everything that has been tried to get my Zune 2.0 software to load, I went with the fresh XP install. Now it works fine...4 hours later... They need to make this software less fragile.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #14
jaymerkramer
Zewbie

jaymerkramer is on a distinguished road

I was having the same problem and followed this post to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwoom View Post
agghhh. it wont let me post links..

do a google search for netflix resetdrm.exe

you can also use this link for a quick fix, i found this because my upgrade button was grayed out. it worked for me

Old 01-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
moto
Zewbie

moto is on a distinguished road

I called zune support and guess what they said. that my 2002 xp version was not compatible to my zune software. that needed to upgrade to 2005 to work. weird, i told them that it was working fine until couple of days it was showing microsoft Zune has encountered a problem and needs to close. now i can't even getting into the software itself. has anyone heard this crap before.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Dizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to all

That's pretty dumb... unless your motherboard itself just can't handle it. 6 years is quite awhile in computer time.

Sorry to hear that Maybe you can downgrade too.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
moto
Zewbie

moto is on a distinguished road

Hey dizzy i downgrade to 1.0 version (the first version i think) and it's working just fine. well the zune itself is run on 2.3 version and i connected to my computer with the zune software running and the zume device tells me that i need to upgrade my software and same time the zune software won't recognize the device is hooked up. i did the reset thing on my zune (back + up button) and no majer changes. Anyone knows how to reset the device to the first version. thanks

Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Instructions for that are also on the provided link: http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/com...supported.html

Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #19
minnguy34
Zewbie

minnguy34 is on a distinguished road
Default DRMRest utlity solved this problem for me

jaymerkramer's solution worked for me. Here is a quote from the MOBTV discussion forums that I found from his suggested google search:

I searched the Internet and found a DRMReset utility. Downloaded and pass it to this friend to try. And it works!

Remember to restart your computer after running the utility.

NOTE: Use it at your own discretion. No risk, no gain.. If it does more harm than good to your system - don't blame me, blame yourself. If it works, then CONGRATS!!! I can see you smiling![/I]

The above fix worked for me, now Zune Version 2 software is working. The reset gets rid of DRM stuff. I didn't have any paid for content on my computer, so that wasn't an issue. If you do have stuff you bought, than you will probably want to back up things first, per the link instructions.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #20
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Oh yeah, the netflix thing?
It seems to be hit and miss

Closed Thread