Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > General Zune Software

General Zune Software Ask for help regarding the Zune software. Zune Marketplace and Zune Pass issues also go here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Dah_jokA
Zewbie

Dah_jokA is on a distinguished road
Default Computer Won't Recognize My Zune?

Hmm...for some reason the new updates don't seem to like me much -__-"

When I first installed the new updates my Zune Program didn't work BUT I've since fixed that.

but NOW, whenever I go to plug in my zune to my computer.

My computer doesn't recognize it. I keep getting this error message:

WTH?

I swear this update is driving me CRAZY! My Zune program works but its pointless if I can't connect my zune to it.

Can anybody help me please? I've tried EVERYTHING that I could think of. But STILL i get that message.

Does nebody know whats wrong? What should I do?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Carlos
Zune Freak

Carlos has a spectacular aura aboutCarlos has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Carlos Send a message via MSN to Carlos

Could it possibly be your USB Ports are messing up? This kinda thing happened to my Cousin's Zune. So what I did was first try using the USB Ports in the back of the Computer (I'm assuming your using the front).

If that doesn't work try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB Ports.

Try that with caution and see whats up.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Zune-OwnzJo0
Zewbie

Zune-OwnzJo0 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem. I couldn't get the Zune software to install to begin with and I had to take the route that gets around the Windows Update crap. Now I've gotten the Zune software to install, but I can't get it to detect the Zune when I plug it in. I've tried the rear USB and front USB ports and still nothing--I get the same error saying as the OP.

I'm so frustrated right now that I want to throw this thing out of the window. Now I see why the Zune basically failed. I'm VERY good with computers and I can't get this silly mp3 player to work after 3 or 4 hours. I even did the left button, back button, OK button wipe on the Zune thinking that maybe it was that which was the problem. This just makes it so that I can't even play around on my zune now because you have to connect it to the PC in order to get the firmware to it.

*sigh* Unless someone can tell me exactly what I need to do I'm afraid this Zune will go unused forever.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
huyeed
Zuner

huyeed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to huyeed Send a message via Yahoo to huyeed Send a message via Skype™ to huyeed

i had the same problem. my software wouldnt work, took for ever to fix that, after that, my computer wouldnt recognize my zune. tech support couldnt help me, so i uninstalled my software completely, then downgraded to the original version. i updated the software again (not using the zune.net download but the update feature) and it worked fine.

in case you dont know how to downgrade, check out http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/com...supported.html

Old 11-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Zune-OwnzJo0
Zewbie

I'm gonna try installing from the CD without being connected to the internet, but I'm worried that it wont let me because I constantly get an error--failure to install--when I try to install from the CD. :\

Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Dizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Dizzy

Make sure you uninstall the current software and disconnect from the internet when trying to install the original software

Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Zune-OwnzJo0
Zewbie

Well.. I did it and I still can't get the computer to sync with the Zune. I'm at a complete freaking loss here.. Ugh...

Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Dizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to all

When you plug in your Zune to your computer, does it start charging?
Is there any indication of communication attempts at all?

Old 11-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
huyeed
Zuner

huyeed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to huyeed Send a message via Yahoo to huyeed Send a message via Skype™ to huyeed

what exactly is the hardware error message? if you click on the little balloon that pops up, i think it should display an error message. if not, check the device manager.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
De Wire
Zewbie

De Wire is on a distinguished road

I'm having an issue where my computer will recognize that I plugged my Zune into the USB port and my Zune will charge. The Zune page comes up like it should and then nothing happens... It's not he USB Cables because my step sister has one too and I tried using hers and the same thing happened. I've been able to connect my zune to my computer previously and sync all my music videos and podcasts to it maybe 3 days ago. I first noticed the problem when I would plug in my Zune and it would charge but wouldn't sync. I thought nothing of it because all my music was already synced. Now I have 6 new CDs just waiting to be synced with my Zune but unfortunately are not able to do so. I am currently running Windows Vista: Home Edition. Please help.

Last edited by De Wire; 01-04-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some important details and made a few spelling and grammar mistakes.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
meteoratc
Zewbie

meteoratc is on a distinguished road

Mine just charges, it wont recognize. I've tried everything. i have Vista and an 80 gig zune

Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
CameleonMK
ShakableParrot
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

CameleonMK has a spectacular aura aboutCameleonMK has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to CameleonMK

Maybe it's your cable, try and connect it with a different cable.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
De Wire
Zewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoratc View Post
Mine just charges, it wont recognize. I've tried everything. i have Vista and an 80 gig zune
Yeah I'm having the same exact problem. And the same thing a 80GB Zune and a Vista Laptop .

Old 01-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
De Wire
Zewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameleonMK View Post
Maybe it's your cable, try and connect it with a different cable.
It's not the cable. I used my step sisters cable after it started doing that with the same results. Charges but doesn't sync. The computers gives the tone that it normally does when you plug in something to the USB ports. And it even pulls up the Zune player thingy.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #15
Beandip408
Zewbie

Beandip408 is on a distinguished road

did you try to first turn on your "wireless" in the settings? that also turns on the sync.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
De Wire
Zewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beandip408 View Post
did you try to first turn on your "wireless" in the settings? that also turns on the sync.
No, but I already had synced like 10GBs of music and vids on to it before I started to have the problems. And when I plug it in to my computer the computer recognizes it and every thing. I think it's the Zune Player that doesn't know that the Zune is even connected.... >.>

Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurta
When the Zune is plugged in, open the device manager (control panel-system-hardware-device manager) and look for something that might relate to the Zune (including unknown devices). Then on that right click-uninstall then go to system, add hardware and see if it detects it.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
mtingley13
Zewbie

mtingley13 is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue. I am running Vista Home Pre. When I plug my Zune in it will charge but the computer just keeps trying to install the device driver to no avail. It seems like there are alot of people having the same or similar issue with no resolve. I even went as far as reformatting my PC and reinstalling everything and it is still doing the same thing. I am able to plug it into a friends PC running XP with my cable and use it. I really love the Zune player but as of now it is a paper weight.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
DJ_SuperSync
Squirt

DJ_SuperSync has disabled reputation

Have you tried running ZuneDevices.exe and checking if there are any permission denied errors being returned in the log when the driver is attempting to be installed? I remember reading a previous post where certain permissions on registry keys were preventing the driver from loading correctly, but couldn't find it to post what the solution was

You can find instructions on ZuneDevices.exe here -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Other possible solutions might be found on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944909?sd=zune

On Vista, I've seen the device take upwards of 10 minutes to be displayed in the Zune software after it is detected by the OS. On my machine it seemed related to the TrustedInstaller.exe process consuming all of my CPU, as soon as that process ended the device showed up in the Zune software immediately. If you enable 'show processes from all users' in task manager you can see if there is something hogging resources which potentially might be why it is not showing up in the software right away (assuming the device driver has already been installed correctly)

You can also try manually pointing the update driver wizard to ..\program files\zune\drivers\zune directory and try to force the driver install that way.

One other solution I've read about was to re-register a dll. With the zune software closed and device disconnected, open a command prompt and type "regsvr32 c:\program files\zune\zunesp.dll" and hit enter. Then try connecting the device again.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #20
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

I'm not sure if re registering the dll works anymore (that was for the old software), but impressive set of fixes. I've copied your post here: http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/gen...t=experimental

Closed Thread