Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold
Default Nokia's chargers outperform the rest

Any good portable device needs a good battery to power it. No matter how good the battery is, you will eventually need to recharge it. How you charge it is important; bad chargers will increase the time needed to charge. Nokia made sure they packed as much power into their charger as they could, ensuring a speedy charge.

We Love Windows Phone.hk tested the Lumia 800 on several different chargers, from straight though a computer to using an Apple charger to an older Nokia charger to the Lumia 800 charger. The specs were as follows:
  • Computer USB 2.0 port - 3.85 V / ~110 mA
  • Nokia DC-11K Mobile Charging Unit - 3.9 V / 330 mA
  • iPhone Charger - 3.88 V / 300 mA
  • Lumia 800 AC-16 Charger - 3.95 V / 600 mA
The strange thing about these numbers is that a computer port should be able to provide up to 500 mA of power without issue. These low numbers are what you get for "dumb" chargers, ones that passively accept a charge. A full-fledged device like a phone should be able to ask the computer for more power, so either the Lumia isn't asking for that power correctly, which may be an issue in either the phone or the driver, or it intentionally does not ask. The only reason I can see for this is protection while using a hub; a single port can only safely provide 500 mA, but using a hub can get around this and cause enough power to go through the USB controller in the computer in order to short it. People who don't know this will put too many devices into a single hub and render the port unusable. So perhaps it was designed not to take up the full 500 mA so it could be safely used on a hub with a few other devices. I know computers can tell the difference between a straight port and through a hub as it will recognize the device separately for each, but the Lumia may not be able to tell whether it's using a hub or not, making asking for more power dangerous. But that's all speculation. Whatever the reason, plugging it into your computer is slow, and you should use the included charger when possible.

Another thing I noticed is that the plug is much different from the European plug included with the Lumia 800, which you can see in this unboxing. There isn't enough detail or attention paid to the device to make out any specs written on it, but I wonder if it is as powerful as the one WLWP.hk tested. For that matter, what of the US ones? Anyone got some chargers they can take a look at and see what the mA rating is?

[WMPowerUser]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Locke; 02-02-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Scott1220
Senior Zuner

Scott1220 is a jewel in the roughScott1220 is a jewel in the rough

I read that charging the battery slower will prolong battery lifespan... I forgot what article i read that from since it was years ago.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
SilentWalrus
Knowledgable Walrus
Support Team
Expert Zuner

SilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to behold

My BlackBerry charger provides 5V and 2.1 amps.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
dooglehead
><(((ยบ>
Support Team
Graduate Zuner

dooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to dooglehead Send a message via Skype™ to dooglehead

Aren't most modern usb phone chargers around 1 amp now?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1220 View Post
I read that charging the battery slower will prolong battery lifespan... I forgot what article i read that from since it was years ago.
It's a matter of heat management; heat destroys batteries. Well-managed charging shouldn't generate a lot of heat. That was actually a problem with some of the first-gen Zunes, some had problems with heat from charging that would shorten the life or even cause the batteries to expand enough to damage the screen from behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalrus View Post
My BlackBerry charger provides 5V and 2.1 amps.
That sounds incredibly high; what the hell have RIM done to have their phones even accept that kind of charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooglehead View Post
Aren't most modern usb phone chargers around 1 amp now?
My old DLO Zune charger is rated at 500 mA, and my newer phone charger is rated at 700 mA. I don't have my hands on a lot of phone chargers, but I would imagine most don't cross far beyond 500 mA as that's the usual max for USB applications. Too high and you do run the risk of heating the battery significantly, after all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
SilentWalrus
Knowledgable Walrus
Support Team
Expert Zuner

SilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That sounds incredibly high; what the hell have RIM done to have their phones even accept that kind of charge?
Miracles.
It was originally made for the PlayBook, but RIM stated that it was safe for use with the new BlackBerry 7 phones.
It literally charges my phone from empty to full in 30 minutes.
Amazon Amazon

Amazing.

Closed Thread