Go Back   Zune Boards > News and Website Related > Front Page Articles

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold
Default Some alternate Windows 8 logos to tantalize the eyes

You may have seen that Windows 8 has a new logo. Some people really love it, some people really hate it. It didn't garner much love here either. I think a proper stance is a balanced one; there are elements of it that are great, and there elements that are not. Let's explore!

This is the current Windows 8 logo. The greatest benefit is that is does away with the Aero styling of the pearl that's been the symbol of Windows since Vista. It's not that the pearl isn't pretty, it's just...not Metro, which is so clearly the focus of Windows 8. It runs contrary to the basic design principles of Metro, so it no longer represents the product. Out it must go. And the fact that it hearkens back to the original Windows logo and looks more like a window would be good if the flag weren't so tightly ingrained in the image of Windows by now. It's not something I think they can throw away just yet. So, how do we keep the flag and keep Metro? Well, I would have suggested something akin to the current Windows Phone logo.

Unfortunately, it seems that Juan Perez of the Verge has already stepped up with that idea! It does indeed look nice.

He even throws in a set of icons under the same concept, as well as a skewed version of the new logo to set it apart and make it more like the current official version.

So, guess I won't be mocking up that design. I got to thinking some more and came up with another flag, but this one's square, and it features some more traditional colors to boot.

What do you guys think? It's not quite "professional" quality as it's something I was able to throw together in about 5 minutes, most of which was trying to get my font to match the official one (it's not quite perfect, but again, mock-up, not final product), but I'm rather fond of it; I feel it's sufficiently Metro while still embracing the iconic flag. The flag probably needs more space between the pieces though; it is pixel-perfect spaced, but it seems to wreak a bit of an optical illusion on my eyes that moves things around at this small size. It needs to be white to be visible here (I avoid white backgrounds when possible), but you can also check out what it looks like in black, as well as the original full sized file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
runewake2
Experienced Zuner

runewake2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to runewake2

I like the logo, personally. Yours and the new windows one.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Cubby1996
Experienced Zuner

Cubby1996 has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cubby1996

These are much better

Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Atheist
Jr. Zuner

Atheist is on a distinguished road

Jeez you see the HUGE DIFFERENCE a simple square can make. SMH Damn it takes other designers to create a logo that is 100 times better and sticks to the Metro theme without going to far. The Windows 8 logo (with the windows logo in the blue square) works. he WINDOWS logo (with the windows logo in the square but without the 8) works as well to represent the OS but the Windows 8 logo with the skewed left side with the windows logo in the blue square I would have to get use to. it gives it a little something extra but idk if it works well enough. But I love the rest of the logos but I absolutely hate the logo Microsoft came up with for Windows 8.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

It's really not a bad logo, if the flag didn't exist I'd be fine with it. It represents Metro and, if a bit bland, isn't blatantly bad. I just don't think that after so many years with the flag that MS can really get rid of it. That's why I applied Metro to the flag rather than ditching it altogether.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread