Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Game and Hack Support

Game and Hack Support Come here for help with any of the XNA based Zune Games or for help with any of the Hacks or zTools.

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Mustard007
Zewbie

Mustard007 is on a distinguished road
Default ZuneHD hack -- can't write or read

Hi !

I try the ZuneHD v4 hack. I can see my files but I can't read or write to my zune80...whats wrong ?

Is the zune80 not compatible with the hack ?

Thanks !

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

itsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant future

Make sure you fire up the Zune software before trying to read or write. If the Zune says "connected" and shows up in My Computer, you should be good to go.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
d3jsp
Zewbie

d3jsp is on a distinguished road

seems like this doesnt work anymore with the new software

Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
calloforion
Zewbie

calloforion is on a distinguished road

i cant seem to get the hdd hack to work at all. my registry is missing all the folders except for EnableLegacySupport. Is this because i have a zune 80gb? I have tried two seperate patchers, including Berdon's, but neither works.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

The HD hack no longer works with the 3.0 firmware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
calloforion
Zewbie

is anyone working on a fix for that, by any chance? i'd do it msyelf, if i knew anything about editing registries.

Thanks for letting me know that, i'd have ended up messing with it all night and probably chucking my zune through my monitor. is anyone working on a fix for this, by any chance? I'd do it myself, if I knew anything about editing a registry.

Last edited by Netrix; 09-29-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Double post

Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

As far as we know, no one has actually starting working on a new version. But 3.1 firmware is coming out soon, so they may be waiting for that to start work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
calloforion
Zewbie

okay. thanks so much for the info, i appreciate it.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

You're welcome; good luck in your endeavors.

Last edited by Locke; 09-30-2008 at 05:44 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
mhaimes
Zewbie

mhaimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3jsp View Post
seems like this doesnt work anymore with the new software
YOUR RIGHT AND IM DIEING!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
As far as we know, no one has actually starting working on a new version. But 3.1 firmware is coming out soon, so they may be waiting for that to start work.
OH! if only i read this before...so is soon like "I'm going to graduate soon." or "It's going to be morning soon."

Last edited by Netrix; 09-30-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Double post

Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaimes View Post
OH! if only i read this before...so is soon like "I'm going to graduate soon." or "It's going to be morning soon."
Got no idea, honestly.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
mhaimes
Zewbie

Default i have a dream, and in that dream i can use my zune

Quote:
Got no idea, honestly.
I don't see them deciding all of a sudden to go back to allowing it to open in 3.1. They must have put some effort against stopping it. Why is no one working on this btw?

Maybe there could simply be a firmware hack, a complete hack that doesn't have to worry about updates. Not just some small time registry changes and program closers. You could call it Firmware X. allowing all language support, audio/video support, and most importantly, being able to open it like a memory device.

You'd seriously be famous, you know how many people have trouble with this thing? Future employment would be a breeze. "Yes, hello. I'm part of the team that opened up the zune."

Thank you for the fast reply earlier btw.

Last edited by mhaimes; 09-30-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: didn't thank

Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Quote:
I don't see them deciding all of a sudden to go back to allowing it to open in 3.1. They must have put some effort against stopping it. Why is no one working on this btw?

Maybe there could simply be a firmware hack, a complete hack that doesn't have to worry about updates. Not just some small time registry changes and program closers. You could call it Firmware X. allowing all language support, audio/video support, and most importantly, being able to open it like a memory device.

You'd seriously be famous, you know how many people have trouble with this thing? Future employment would be a breeze. "Yes, hello. I'm part of the team that opened up the zune."

Thank you for the fast reply earlier btw.
Why? I'm not the person to ask. I'm not a coder by any stretch of the imagination. I just copy-paste the same info to everyone on here.

Simply put, firmware hacks won't work. Microsoft made this thing absolutely air-tight. People have tried and failed many times. Perhaps I could give God a ring and see if He's up to it.

You're welcome.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
The Peanut

The Peanut is on a distinguished road

why does M$ have to be like that.
making the zune so hard to hack it is so unfair that we can't do anything.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpeanutman23 View Post
why does M$ have to be like that.
making the zune so hard to hack it is so unfair that we can't do anything.
They don't want people to do anything to screw it up, I guess. As it is, it's nearly impossible to permenantly brick a Zune. Things like the HD hack could compromise the stability of the Zune if people started messing around in there. It's in MS's best interest to kill this stuff off to maintain product quality.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

itsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant future

Quote:
They don't want people to do anything to screw it up, I guess. As it is, it's nearly impossible to permenantly brick a Zune. Things like the HD hack could compromise the stability of the Zune if people started messing around in there. It's in MS's best interest to kill this stuff off to maintain product quality.
That's a factor, but the main motivation is that open development has the potential to jeopardize Microsoft's goal of monetizing the Zune platform beyond the sale of the devices themselves. By locking down the Zune, Microsoft eliminates any competition when it comes to add-on services.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
mhaimes
Zewbie

Default just blowing off steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotabigtruck View Post
That's a factor, but the main motivation is that open development has the potential to jeopardize Microsoft's goal of monetizing the Zune platform beyond the sale of the devices themselves. By locking down the Zune, Microsoft eliminates any competition when it comes to add-on services.

anyway, just ignore this post if you want, just my rant

here it is, the reason ive been searching for but i dont understand it. This is seriously giving me a headache...monetizing the zune beyond the sale of the devices themselves....

i just dont get it...more features makes more customers happy and makes more people buy the zune, what is this monetizing tumor mean?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
berdon

berdon has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to berdon

Quote:

here it is, the reason ive been searching for but i dont understand it. This is seriously giving me a headache...monetizing the zune beyond the sale of the devices themselves....

i just dont get it...more features makes more customers happy and makes more people buy the zune, what is this monetizing tumor mean?
They don't want modifications to the device to allow users to transfer market bought and digitally protected music for free, thus compromising any deals they might have with the music industry.

They've gone to great lengths to let users create their own applications and games for the Zune, something that, as far as I know, hasn't been done by Apple, which covers the "more features" part. I'm not saying I'm in agreement with Microsoft's actions of disallowing us access to the hard drive and flash/ram but they're trying to compromise.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Quote:

What I'm saying is that Microsoft wants to charge you for services beyond your purchase of the Zune itself. This includes, for example, the Zune Pass. Open development would provide an opportunity to offer for free what Microsoft wants to charge a monthly fee for.

Providing unfettered access to a platform poses the threat of ambitious developers crowbarring it open for everyone, something that does not bode well for corporate profit.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

= all profit to M$

Closed Thread