Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold
Default Samsung releases new Windows Phone

Nokia has clearly been dominating Windows Phone sales with the release of the Lumia 900, especially in light of AT&T's promotion of the platform (finally). So what's a manufacturer need to do to garner some attention and fresh sales with the giant Nokia throwing all their weight into the Windows Phone arena? There have been rumors of phones from various hardware vendors, from LG to Sony Ericsson (while they were still Sony Ericsson, anyway), and a picture of a new Samsung phone has been making the rounds as of late. It seemed like each rumor turned up empty and everything was pointing to new phones waiting for the release of Windows Phone 8, but somewhat unexpectedly Samsung has officially confirmed the Samsung Focus 2.

The Focus 2 bears similarity to the recently revealed Galaxy SIII (though really, the same can be said of earlier Focus and Galaxy S line phones). According to the product page on AT&T's website (where you can sign up to be notified on availability), it features a 4G LTE connection, 1.4 GHz processor (presumably a Snapdragon), 4 inch Super AMOLED screen, and a 5 MP rear camera and VGA front camera. It will also have 8 GB of storage. It will go on sale for $50 on contract May 20.

So why a new phone now? Especially with the current spec restrictions making it harder to differentiate until Windows Phone 8 opens up the field a little more? Well first off, as mentioned the phone does borrow from the new Galaxy SIII (among others), so the time and resources to push out a new product are going to be less than going at it from scratch. It's not quite a match for the market titan Lumia 900, but at only $50 and with specs resting between the 900 and 710, which also sells for $50 on contract, it has its own niche where Samsung wants to find some sales, offering something just appetizing enough to pull off customer from the upper and lower ends of the Lumia 710 and 900 crowds, respectively. The Focus line has generally done well, and I expect the new Focus 2 will find a way to pick up some decent sales as well.

[Windows Phone Blog]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Katman1245
Jr. Zuner

Katman1245 is on a distinguished road

When will those idiots put an sd card slot in newer models? Seriously I won't upgrade from my now 40gb focus until they do. Skype and 4g is cool, but its more important to carry all my music on the thing. (love my focus btw, at&t service where i live, not so much)

Closed Thread