Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Talk > Zune Accessories and Review

Zune Accessories and Review Learn about all the hot Zune accessories and leave your reviews!

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold
Default DLO HipCase Folio Review

I have an old leather fliptop case for my Zune 30 from DLO that's served me well over the years, and I wasn't disappointed with the Zune HD iteration.

The leather is definitely better this time around, feels less like plastic (both probably are, but it's $18, I'm not expecting miracles here). Unlike the last one, this case has a padded fliptop, which was a nice addition; I like to squeeze it every now and then just to assure myself of its soft, pillowy goodness. The leather siding doesn't go up as high to accommodate the media button on the left, though they didn't go all the way up on the right either. For some reason, the symmetry works here. The stitching seems solid, and this design has done away with the rubbery coating that ran along the edges of the old case, which began to crack and peel at edges.

Now, a few gripes. This model doesn't hug the Zune as tightly, making it easy to slip out if you're not careful when inverting it. As is inevitable for any case of its size and thickness, the edges are hard to accurately touch as the rim around the edge of the screen gets in the way. Considering how little space is available on the edge, this is a necessary evil, and the silver lining is that it is easily removed from the case when you need to get some serious typing done. One feature I could have done without is the clip. Maybe it's just me, but it's difficult to use and it only adds a little bulk and thickness where I don't need it. And in the last case I had, despite never using the clip, it was the first place to wear through, due to the stiff metal in it. There is one carry-over from the last design that I find a tad harder to forgive, however, and that's the hinge. The flexible leather between the back and front is a little too flexible and easily wears away at its bending points. For such an otherwise high quality (for the price) case, it's a bit disappointing to see this part degrade so fast.

Despite those misgivings above though, I love this case; it fits my needs almost perfectly. It's on the larger end of cases compared to skins and silicone grips, but it provides a modicum of protection and feels nice in your hands. If you're okay with the size and a fault or two in craftsmanship for a good price, this is the case for you. Official Locke seal of approval here for you:

Score: 8/10
Shopping link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Locke; 10-18-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Scott1220
Senior Zuner

Scott1220 is a jewel in the roughScott1220 is a jewel in the rough

Awesome review... Was about to buy this until I read it was not a tight fit like you have in your review.

=D

Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Arfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arca9 View Post
Awesome review... Was about to buy this until I read it was not a tight fit like you have in your review.

=D
Didn't you win a Noreve Case from KinBoards....?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
cdog

cdog is on a distinguished road

I honestly did not like this case. It was the first case I had for the ZuneHD and the leather on the inside wore away from use (not misuse) within 3 months. Since then I have had the Incipio Feather case and it has held up well. I will say that the leather case did indeed feel nice and was fairly conveniant.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
SergeantStarFox
Jr. Zuner

SergeantStarFox is on a distinguished road

Good review. But a piece of advise. On amazon i found a flipcase almost just like this for like 10 bucks. I've used it ever since i got my hd and it's great. It hugs the hd very tightly and i would never be concerned about it falling out. its by gfx if you wanna check it out. Just type in 'Zune HD leather flip case' into the amazon search engine and you should find it.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
cokebear
Zewbie

cokebear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantStarFox View Post
Good review. But a piece of advise. On amazon i found a flipcase almost just like this for like 10 bucks. I've used it ever since i got my hd and it's great. It hugs the hd very tightly and i would never be concerned about it falling out. its by gfx if you wanna check it out. Just type in 'Zune HD leather flip case' into the amazon search engine and you should find it.
Premium Flip Leather Case with Swivel Belt Clip for Microsoft Zune HD Video MP3 Player (Player NOT Included)
by Young Micro

Has anyone seen or had any experience with this case or one like it?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Scott1220
Senior Zuner

Scott1220 is a jewel in the roughScott1220 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Didn't you win a Noreve Case from KinBoards....?
Yeah... But b4 I won it I needed a case and was thinking to buy the dlo flip one, but ended up buying the lint infested dlo jam jacket.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
patrick922
Squirt

patrick922 is on a distinguished road

I have had DLO's rubber case for the ZuneHD since I got it back in september of '09. It was a great fit, slim, and an all around good case, but last summer a chunk of the case got ripped off while I was listening to my zune at night, and I do not know how, but I will credit it to myself and say I was doing something stupid in my sleep. Anyways, once this semicircle with a diameter half or less than that of a dime was removed from the top left hand corner, quality degraded quickly, more tears appeared, and it now longer held the zune as tight, but that was to be expected once structural integrity was damaged. It survived until last thursday when, as I was pulling it out of my pocket, the entire top strip ripped off. This was much longer than I expected a $15-ish case to last, and until I wounded it, it was the best case I could have asked for.
9.5/10

Closed Thread