Go Back   Zune Boards > Technology > Tech. Help

Tech. Help Come here for help with technology related problems.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Creative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Creative Zune Send a message via MSN to Creative Zune
Default Switching to Mac need advice!

So I'm selling my Dell to buy a MacBook Pro 15. I don't know that much about Apple and their products in terms of benefits and drawbacks.

I'm an advanced user when it comes to computers in general. For example I download ALOT of "free" software and utilizes various tools to get what I want (if you know what I mean) So will I be able to do the same thing with a Mac or is there a different way of doing things, if at all?

Any well used programs that wont be compatible with Mac that I should know about?

Is there a zune software for mac alternative or will I have to sell my zune HD?

Help!!

Last edited by Creative Zune; 11-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Beausiph
All of Beau's hoes, wanna take a ride on Beau's hose
Retired Global
Super Zuner

Beausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Beausiph

I love Chrome for Mac.
As far as downloading, utorrent is awesome!

And you can sync music to your zHD using the Windows Phone syncing utility. (Don't remember what it's called) although if you feel so inclined to still use zune software, you could acquire windows and install it ina virtual machine

Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
timmahcheese

timmahcheese will become famous soon enough

Heh well, i don't know the answers to your question, but I can say that, moving to mac, you can kiss your status of 'advanced user' goodbye...you'll be learning from the bottom again (unless you actually know the os quite well, which it sounds like you don't)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

To become an advanced user on Mac it's a lot easier. Your trackpad will become your best friend. Learning cmd+whatever is hard though. It's a different cracking technique and there isn't as much out there for you, but it's do-able.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

Justananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offer

OSX isn't that bad. Great for productivity. Lacks games.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Charge
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justananomaly View Post
OSX isn't that bad. Great for productivity. Lacks games.
You could always Bootcamp Windows 7 which is what I have done, and have Steam/Games installed on a Bootcamp partition. The MacBook's are quite powerful.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Alex
Ban ALL the Users
GFX Crew
Super Moderator
Expert Zuner

Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge View Post
You could always Bootcamp Windows 7 which is what I have done, and have Steam/Games installed on a Bootcamp partition. The MacBook's are quite powerful.
Yeah but not powerful enough for any decent gaming. Most laptops aren't. I don't think he is buying a Mac for games anyways. I think by now most good programs on Windows have a Mac version as well.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Creative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to allCreative Zune is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausiph View Post
I love Chrome for Mac.
As far as downloading, utorrent is awesome!

And you can sync music to your zHD using the Windows Phone syncing utility. (Don't remember what it's called) although if you feel so inclined to still use zune software, you could acquire windows and install it ina virtual machine
A few Mac people told me Safari is way better, less lag and the pages load much faster, is that true? Can you edit album information and song info using the utility? or is it just a plain ol syncing tool. I really don't want to use Itunes or buy an iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahcheese View Post
Heh well, i don't know the answers to your question, but I can say that, moving to mac, you can kiss your status of 'advanced user' goodbye...you'll be learning from the bottom again (unless you actually know the os quite well, which it sounds like you don't)
I'm learning man, I'm learning. I should be good in about 2 weeks or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge View Post
I'm trying to stay clear of Windows in general Microsoft is slowly going under interms of its quality and consistency, Just look at the progress of WP7.

Also is getting a Macbook with anti glare actually worth it? I don't really use my laptop outside so the sun isn't really a problem. And as far as purchasing one. Is there any websites that I can get one for a good price? Apple.com costs an arm and a leg compared to amazon and eBay etc.

Also I do casual gaming so how does the on board graphics handle? Compared to a dedicated graphics card?

Thanks for the incite, I really appreciate it.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Charge
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

I have this one - http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/...ct=MD322LL%2FA

Which has dedicated Graphics (1gig)

The Anti-Glare screen actually adds around 200pixels and adds a lot to the display.

Amazon is probably the cheapest.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

How does your Macbook match up to this one, Charge?

Link

Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
Charge
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

That IS mine, I think.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Hmm

Looks like we're both about to own the same Macbook.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Reborn
Banned
Jr. Zuner

Reborn is an unknown quantity at this point

Advice: Go back to a PC.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Creative Zune
Life goes on...
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Why?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
Alex
Ban ALL the Users
GFX Crew
Super Moderator
Expert Zuner

Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
Not a PC vs Mac thread. If you don't have any real advice to offer him, please don't post.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
Zombii Matt
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Retired Admin
Zune Priest

Zombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offerZombii Matt is the best the web has to offer
Send a message via AIM to Zombii Matt Send a message via MSN to Zombii Matt Send a message via Skype™ to Zombii Matt

i use Transmission for torrenting and it works much better than utorrent did.

iTunes for OSX is so much better than itunes for windows btw.

Some applications to get from the mac app store:

Sparrow (if you use gmail)

Reeder (RSS reader)

MplayerX

BetterSnapTool (Aero Snap for OSX with more features)

Also mac sure you get iPhoto. Its awesome.

Last edited by Zombii Matt; 11-25-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
Rainbow Dash
Banned
Zune Lord

Rainbow Dash is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I love about the macs are how well iTunes actually works

Closed Thread