Go Back   Zune Boards > Technology > Windows Phone 7

Windows Phone 7 Discuss the upcoming release of Windows Phone 7, including software and phones.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Eluros
Squirt
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21
Eluros is on a distinguished road
Default WP7 as Zune HD Replacement (No Voice/Data)?

Greetings,

I very much like my Zune HD, but it's getting a bit small for my music collection and I'd like the ability to access the applications available to WP7. I have someone who may be interested in buying it, which means I'm in the market for the next step up. My current phone is still in contract, but I'd like to upgrade to a new MP3player that could (if I choose) eventually be used as a phone.

If I were to purchase an unlocked WP7 device, could I use it on Wifi only without having a Voice or Data plan? If not, I'll probably get an Android Galaxy Player.

Thanks!



Eluros is offline  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner
 
boohbah11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: on a boat on a river...
Posts: 1,362
boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about
Default

You certainly can, just be sure you dont try to connect to a cellular network or it could cost you a bundle.




boohbah11 is offline  

Old 01-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Eluros
Squirt
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21
Eluros is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohbah11 View Post
You certainly can, just be sure you dont try to connect to a cellular network or it could cost you a bundle.
Great, thanks for the confirmation!



Eluros is offline  

Old 01-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
ZuFi
/me .
Senior Editor
GFX Crew
Elite Zuner
 
ZuFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,030
ZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to all
Default

Hey, boobah, does he have to get it unlocked?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





ZuFi is offline  

Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
alpha8768
Experienced Zuner
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 124
alpha8768 is on a distinguished road
Default

In July I bought a NEW unlocked Samsung Focus without data plan in order to replace my Zune HD and I actually have no regrets Just be sure to listen to boobah -disable cellular connection and only use wifi-

I got it for 260$ CAD...




alpha8768 is offline  

Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Tartarus
Experienced Zuner
 
Tartarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 249
Tartarus has disabled reputation
Default

i am selling my samsung focus on ebay tomorrow, ill post a link if you would like to purchase it.




Tartarus is offline  

Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Eluros
Squirt
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21
Eluros is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
i am selling my samsung focus on ebay tomorrow, ill post a link if you would like to purchase it.
If you don't mind, that'd be stellar. Thanks. I'm definitely in the market.



Eluros is offline  

Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Tartarus
Experienced Zuner
 
Tartarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 249
Tartarus has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluros View Post
If you don't mind, that'd be stellar. Thanks. I'm definitely in the market.
ok, it should be up tonight/tomorrow




Tartarus is offline  

Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner
 
boohbah11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: on a boat on a river...
Posts: 1,362
boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuFi View Post
Hey, boobah, does he have to get it unlocked?
Not as far as I know, all wp7's that aren't purchased through a carrier are partially unlocked, so you can still use them for anything not requiring a plan, and also sideload homebrew apps onto it (a feature intended for devs). Its not that hard and tutorials are plentiful to unlock it though.




boohbah11 is offline  

Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Tartarus
Experienced Zuner
 
Tartarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 249
Tartarus has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohbah11 View Post
Not as far as I know, all wp7's that aren't purchased through a carrier are partially unlocked, so you can still use them for anything not requiring a plan, and also sideload homebrew apps onto it (a feature intended for devs). Its not that hard and tutorials are plentiful to unlock it though.
you dont, mine works fine w/o a sim card, just get a prepaid visa card to buy apps




Tartarus is offline  

Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Staccato
Zuner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 80
Staccato is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluros View Post
Greetings,

I very much like my Zune HD, but it's getting a bit small for my music collection and I'd like the ability to access the applications available to WP7. I have someone who may be interested in buying it, which means I'm in the market for the next step up. My current phone is still in contract, but I'd like to upgrade to a new MP3player that could (if I choose) eventually be used as a phone.

If I were to purchase an unlocked WP7 device, could I use it on Wifi only without having a Voice or Data plan? If not, I'll probably get an Android Galaxy Player.

Thanks!
Hey, you and I seem to be in a very similar situation, I discussed my inquiries and discoveries regarding this issue on this thread. The ultimate conclusion I drew after looking into the matter was that yes, theoretically speaking WP7 can function as a replacement for the zHD. The biggest obstruction to fully yielding that as a reality is that, to my knowledge, there are as of yet no WP7 devices which boast substantial HDD memory standards, which seems to be at the root of your issue (as is mine). I've yet to come across a WP7 phone which offers anything exceeding a paltry 16gb internal flash memory, and even less that offer any sort of flexibility when it comes to memory expansion. So as of right now, if you're looking to acquire a WP7 device with internal memory in the 32-64gb range, you're out of luck. If I'm missing something here, I'd love to be corrected on this, as I'm also caught in this same predicament.



Staccato is offline  

Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,840
Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staccato View Post
Hey, you and I seem to be in a very similar situation, I discussed my inquiries and discoveries regarding this issue on this thread. The ultimate conclusion I drew after looking into the matter was that yes, theoretically speaking WP7 can function as a replacement for the zHD. The biggest obstruction to fully yielding that as a reality is that, to my knowledge, there are as of yet no WP7 devices which boast substantial HDD memory standards, which seems to be at the root of your issue (as is mine). I've yet to come across a WP7 phone which offers anything exceeding a paltry 16gb internal flash memory, and even less that offer any sort of flexibility when it comes to memory expansion. So as of right now, if you're looking to acquire a WP7 device with internal memory in the 32-64gb range, you're out of luck. If I'm missing something here, I'd love to be corrected on this, as I'm also caught in this same predicament.
It is physically possible to upgrade the memory on some phones by replacing their Micro SD card, but in practice it's not guaranteed to work and requires a Class 4 card. Possible, but not really recommended and probably warranty-voiding.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Locke is offline  

Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Tartarus
Experienced Zuner
 
Tartarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 249
Tartarus has disabled reputation
Default

ok, so my mom has the flu, it will be probably 2 or 3 days until i get my ebay account set up (ill also have an xbox 360 elite, 2 controllers and 2 games for sale, along with a 32 gb ZHD)




Tartarus is offline  

Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Staccato
Zuner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 80
Staccato is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It is physically possible to upgrade the memory on some phones by replacing their Micro SD card, but in practice it's not guaranteed to work and requires a Class 4 card. Possible, but not really recommended and probably warranty-voiding.
That's correct, most of the phones I looked at would be voided of warranty if the microSD card slot was accessed. As I understand it the Samsung Focus allows for open memory expansion, but its max internal flash memory is 8gb, and its apparently incompatible with SDXC (64gb) cards, so that's basically worthless as well, at least for my purposes.



Staccato is offline  

Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
runewake2
Experienced Zuner
 
runewake2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 147
runewake2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to runewake2
Default

A bit late to this, but Windows does sell phones for "Development". I'd look into those, granted you have to pay the full 300-500 for the phone...




runewake2 is offline  

Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Tartarus
Experienced Zuner
 
Tartarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 249
Tartarus has disabled reputation
Default

ok, i just listed my Focus on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156

im looking for about $260 for it, and ebay charges me $25 if i sell it, so the buy it now is ideal.




Tartarus is offline  

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
no new posts