Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications

Zune Games and Applications Discuss, request, share, and download Zune Games here. Having troubles with Zune Games? No problem, we can help.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
copa
Squirt

copa is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Windows tool to export files from playlist

Dear guys,

I want to share my tool for copying the mp3 files of specific zune playlists to other media (like memory card or a smartphone).
I wrote it, cause I found nothing similar in the internet (there is some talk about a "translatum" tool in this forum, but there is nothing anymore available from it or its developer, which was AndroidPlusYou).

This tool runs on any windows (but it needs dotNet framework 3.5).

I hope you have some feedback for me (bugreports, enhancements,...)

There is no separate help file or something else available, but I hope I have added enough text in every tool tip of the GUI controls, which should explain everything.

you can download it from here
(its just the exe. So no dlls or setup procedure necessary)

BTW the name "zunplex" means "ZUNe PLaylist EXport"

Version History:
NO UPDATES HERE ANYMORE - PLEASE CHECK OUT THE ZUNPLEX WEBSITE

Ver 8 - Feb 18, 2012
* zunplex now shows the approx. size of the playlist content - and the free space in target.
* enhanced the GUI for "analyzing song deletion", that displays now a preview of all songs missing
* separated the searching procedure into 2 different steps (playlist deletions vs. target deletions)
* bugfixing, i.e. all message boxes are forced to open now in front of main window

Ver 7 - Feb 9, 2012
* fixed some exceptions when opening a playlist which contains no playlist structure
* now the GUI shows free space in target and the size of all MP3 in zpl together

Ver 6 - Jan 18, 2012
* fixed some bugs when searching for deletions
* copy-progress windows can now be minimized and restored and aborted

Ver 5 - Nov 30, 2011
* added a context menu to the song list (right click on a row!), to manually remove songs from playlist inside zunplex
* changed version numbering scheme to ease forthcoming application update (a single number determines current version)

I have started a dedicated website for the tool here

best wishes
Copa

Last edited by copa; 03-11-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: download link updated

copa is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about

Cool stuff bro, looks good

boohbah11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
copa
Squirt

Thanks man! I appreciate it
Next version is on the go, but I think it'll take another week to check deleted files

Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
copa
Squirt

Default Zunplex: New Version 0.3 - New features

Its time for a new version - at least a release with beta status.
I hope there is someone out there willing to give it a try.

Zunplex will put a small file (called "zunplex.xml") into your target folder (of your smartphone or MP3 player) to keep track of what songs have been written here by this tool.
If you hear later a song and don't like it -> and you have deleted it on your smartphone -> next time you connect it to your PC and let zunplex "Check for deletions", it will ask you, weather you want to remove this file from your playlist as well.

When you go back to Zune software, and it was running while the zpl file was modified, Zune will not refresh automatically, you need to switch to another playlist -and back to the relevant playlist- to be able to see the changes which were made by zunplex.

The upper button will look for songs that you have removed from your playlist (probably by the help of the Zune software)
If there were songs found that are missing, you will be asked what to do on the target with this songs.
The second button will check in target for songs that you have deleted manually.
The checkbox must be checked to generate the info file in target.
(no file in target -> no way to see which files are missing)

Don't be afraid....
Zunplex will never delete any songs in your source folders ("My Documents\Music\...")
(unless you tell hin to do it, by using the contexct menu of the data grid -> right click on a song -> "delete from disk")

Have fun and take care

Last edited by copa; 02-17-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: changed usage

Old 11-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

This is pretty damn awesome, thanks for the hard work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Prodigy

Prodigy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Prodigy Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy

that is sooooo helpful thank you so much copa

Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
copa
Squirt

Default Zunplex: New Version 0.4 - New feature

Thank you Prodigy, you are very welcome.

Here is the next update (all the download links above point to the most recent version)

When you now perform "Analyze deletions" zunplex will notify you, if songs, that were copied before to the target, are now probably missing in the playlist - (likely cause you have removed them by using the Zune software).
You can then decide to delete them on the target as well.
(3rd checkbox must be checked)

Additionally, whenever a playlist is read in, a check is done to ensure that all the song files exist in your sources - otherwise you will be asked, if you want to delete them from your playlist.

Let me add, that all this functionality fails, if you start moving songs into other folders by hand or rename files. Then zunplex will think the song is missing and asks you to remove it from the "other side".

Feedback is welcome!
copa

Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
theory028
Zewbie

theory028 is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to drop in and thank you for your efforts. I just got the program to work the way I wanted and it is fantastic!

I encountered an error when I had it set to copy the files over without any subdirectories. It told me that the index was out of bounds. I wanted the songs to go into my music directory on my Android phone (G:\MEDIA\Music). The other setting would keep adding deeper directories. I got around this by setting the target to (G:\MEDIA\) and setting Zunplex to keep subdirectories from right with a value of 1. Now all of the files end up exactly where I wanted them.

This is an extremely useful tool for those of us that want to make playlists within Zune and export the files to other sources. I will be using this put music on my phone as well as the flash drive that I keep in my car. My brother will also enjoy this, I'm sure.

Thank you very much for programming such a useful tool! I'm going to need to get a bigger micro SD card now.

theory028 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #9
copa
Squirt

Hi theory028,
thanks for the nice feedback and the (1st) error report.
I fixed the reported bug now (in Ver 0.4b).

Its interesting to hear how people set the folder-deepness selector.
Thansk a lot,
copa

BTW Zunplex Ver. 0.3 xml files are incompatible with Ver. 0.4.
So you need to re-copy all songs in 0.4 to be able to "analyze deletions"

Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #10
theory028
Zewbie

That was a quick fix! It's great to see such responsiveness on a project like this. I've used Zunplex to sync with my phone several times now and that "index out of bounds" error was the only problem that I have seen. Everything else seems to be flawless. Great work and I wish you continued success on future revisions!

On a side note, I mentioned this to my brother and he seemed very interested in trying it out. We're both Zune users and have only recently started trying to find ways to easily sync music between the computer and the phone. I cannot begin to express how awesome it is to be able to keep a running playlist from within Zune to control what is on my phone or USB flash drive.

Best,

Justin

Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #11
copa
Squirt

Hi Justin,
just wanted to thank you for your kind words.
But I cannot promise to fix all bugs in the future in the same time

..and I know, there are sure some more issues inside. For example if you have the checkbox active to get notification when the zpl has changed and then you start to auto-remove songs from the zpl due to changes in your target. You'll get a bunch of MessageBoxes to click away.

I hope I have some time the next days to improve usability.
Take care,
copa

Last edited by copa; 11-17-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo

Old 12-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
theory028
Zewbie

Greetings and happy holidays!

I was just dropping in to ask if you have any plans to implement a multi-playlist syncing setup. I have a few different playlists that I sync to different folders (essentially separating my music into categories by genre or mood) and it would be very handy to be able to always have those paths set at launch for quick syncing. I have no problem using it the way it is right now but a feature like that would cut a few minutes from my sync time. I can see how this may not be a critical feature for many, since most devices will have a media player to build a library from tags, but I'm primarily using this to put music on a USB stick for use in my car. My receiver relies on the folder structure for navigation and keeping things categorized into folders makes it a breeze to tailor the music playing to what I'm interested in at any given moment.

By the way, the update did a great job of eliminating that sub-directories issue described earlier. I recently changed how I structure my folders on my portable devices and this fix has made it very easy to make the adjustment.

Thanks for your efforts and enjoy the holiday season!

Last edited by theory028; 12-25-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
copa
Squirt

Hi Justin,
nice to hear from you.
I will think about an easy way to implement this multi-playlist thing.
Until that you could simply have several zunplex.exe files in different folders (for every playlist one sibling).
Windows "should" remember individual settings for each copy of the app.
(If that doesnt work as expected, please send me a quick info)

Happy holidays for you too and to all other readers
Copa

Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
MrB
Zewbie

MrB is on a distinguished road

Good work in here. Still use my Zune HD and the Zune software, but I recently got an Android tablet. This saved me an immense amount of working porting my rather large collection

MrB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
wookietv
Zewbie

wookietv is on a distinguished road

hi there, i just found your tool in hopes to also manage my music with the zune software. i am having a problem though loading a playlist. i think it is because all of my music is on a windows home server that is password protected. so when i try to load a playlist, i get an error that it
Quote:
Failed to find song from playlist Playlist.zpl
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
and then there are option to leave the song in the playlist or remove it.
this happens with all the songs in the playlist.
starting the app with admin access does not help...

is there a way to correct this?

thanks

wookietv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
copa
Squirt

@MrB; thanks for feedback. I appreciate it!

Hi wookietv,
umm, strange problem. You can see in my screenshot, that I have my MP3s on a network folder (from a NAS drive) as well.
My application is trying to access files (no matter where they are) in a very usual and simple way. Like every example for this programming language (C#) and framework (dotNET) is written.
So I would guess, that if zunplex cannot access the files, many other application should have the same problem too(?)

Some questions that might be helpful to find a solution:
Is your screenshot similar, e.g. do you also have UNC paths (\\severname\share\...) or do you see paths with drive letters in the beginning?

What happens if you copy one of these paths of a MP3 file into the "Run" box of the start menu and execute it?
best wishes
copa

EDIT:
Ok, now after a bit of searching I found some articles about "user impersonation" which could be the way to solve this. This would mean that you are logged into your Windows not as that user that has ANY read or write rights on those files; and thus you have to give different user credentials to access them, am I right?

Last edited by copa; 12-30-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added info

Old 01-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Jakeway
Zewbie

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I joined this forum just to thank you for a great bit of software. I like Zune and have a Windows Phone..

I needed to move a large play list to a cheap Mp3 player for jogging and frankly your software saved me hours. Its fantastic, well done.

My only issue is that the GUI doesn't scale very well on my screen, no doubt because my font is larger than normal. So I cant quite see the last row of controls.

But other than that, is its great and I thank you for solving quite a flaw in the software.

Jakeway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
copa
Squirt

@Jakeaway
Thank you a lot for your feedback. Your are very welcome.
Try out version 6. I includes a cheap workaround for your problem: The upper part should show a scroll bar to let you reach all controls.

@Justin
Unfortunately I am not able to release soon a version with multi zpl engine.
2 attempts I tried to set up a suitable GUI don't let me re-use the already existing code ;-(
Are you working with the workaround I mentioned above?

All the best,
copa

Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
copa
Squirt

Default New Version (9) out - that can remember playlist/target connections

Hi,
I want to announce a new zunplex version, which can memorize the different sets of playlist and target folder for you, to recall them at any later time.
Please check out the zunplex website.
copa

Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #20
copa
Squirt

Default New release of zunplex - Ver. 10

another update of zunplex (Ver. 10) is released:
Please take it from it's homepage or from Softpedia

Fixed in this version: The zunplex.xml (to keep track on deletions) was accidentally deleted when application was closed
(and more little ui stuff)

copa