Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Game and Hack Support

Game and Hack Support Come here for help with any of the XNA based Zune Games or for help with any of the Hacks or zTools.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Bob1995
Zewbie

Bob1995 is on a distinguished road
Default I'm gonna sound like a noob but i really want to know

Hi guys.
I downloaded pretty much all of the available apps that i could and their all cool. But i've noticed that some of the best. i.e. Doom, Gameboy Emulator,etc. are in zip form. I've read about the difference between the two forms of games and it all makes me feel like an idiot. If one person could indulge me and describe every aspect of this, so i finally can get the games i came here for in the first place , i would be very appreciative.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Legend
Zune Freak

Legend is a jewel in the roughLegend is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Legend Send a message via Skype™ to Legend

I assume you are asking what is zip and what to do with it. I am going to assume you do have not read this yet. You should do that first. Secondly, when dealing with a zip file you must have a program to extract it. I suggest Winrar . Now onto your question. A zip file is basically like a package. Someone is giving their stuff away, they give one guy a keyboard(in this case, the file), and you a box with the computer, mouse and monitor in it(the zip). Essentially it is a way to package up multiple files. What you need to do then is extract the file using Winrar, once you have downloaded it. I also suggest going through and reading ZHDApps Tutorials , they helped me out tons when I was figuring this all out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I don’t know whether I’m alive and dreaming or dead and remembering. How can you tell what’s a dream and what’s real if you can’t even tell when you’re awake or when you’re asleep?" - Johnny Got His Gun

Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Secondly, when dealing with a zip file you must have a program to extract it. I suggest Winrar .
Why would he need WinRAR to extract a zip archive? The functionality is built right into Windows, just right-click and select "Extract all" or open the file and manually copy and paste. WinRAR is a great program and all, but it's not necessary for this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
dooglehead
><(((º>
Support Team
Graduate Zuner

dooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to dooglehead Send a message via Skype™ to dooglehead

The .zip files you are talking about are OpenZDK apps. Extract the files and run deploykit.exe to deploy. For the Gameboy emulator, you need to put roms in the rom folder before deploying.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Bob1995
Zewbie

Just got the game boy emulator to work. This is totally awesome!

Last edited by Bob1995; 01-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Bob1995
Zewbie

one more question. When i start up the game boy emulator i get white squares, that when i click them play the game. It would be more convienient to have a picture of the game. Does anyone know how i would go about to doing that?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
dooglehead
><(((º>
Support Team
Graduate Zuner

dooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to dooglehead Send a message via Skype™ to dooglehead

iirc, you need to put a .png file with the same name as the rom in the rom folder.

Closed Thread