Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Game and Hack Support

Game and Hack Support Come here for help with any of the XNA based Zune Games or for help with any of the Hacks or zTools.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about
Default Liberate and you (a basic guide to using Liberate)

Liberate is a program developed by netrix that strips away the zunes interface, and replaces it with the standard Windows CE interface. you will notice right away that it looks very similar to a windows 2000 computer. liberate can turn your zune into a very powerful device, but only if you know how to use it. this guide will teach you the basics of how to use Liberate.

Step 1: download the necessary files
to begin, download the following:
-Liberate version 1.6.2
- File Deployer version 1.2
-Opera Mini

Step 2:deploy liberate and file deployer to your zune
deploying liberate to your zune is just like any other OZDK application. after extracting the first two files you downloaded, follow these steps:
1.open the folder titled "simple". run the deploykit to deploy liberate to your zune
2.open the folder titled "deploykit". inside deploykit, open the folder "data", then "content". the content folder is where you will put files you wish to be deployed inside of liberate. 3.copy and paste "mini5wm" into this folder. run the deploykit as you did for liberate
*note: even though it appears in the apps menu, file deployer is not its own application, its purpose is to deploy files to liberate*

Step 3:Basic Operations
liberate is quite simple to use. here are some of the basic operations you will need to know:
-left click: simply tap the screen to perform a left-click
-right click: to right click on something in liberate, simply press and hold 2 fingers on the screen at once for a couple seconds. your next touch will be a right-click
-installing a .cab: most programs for liberate will come in a .cab format. to begin the installation, double tap the cab file

Step 4:Installing Applications
liberate will only ever be as powerful as the applications installed on it, so lets take a look at how to do that.
1.start liberate
your zune should look like this:

2.open the files folder. this is where "file deployer" stores all the files you deployed
3.double tap "mini5wm" *note your files folder will probably contain only mini5wm*

4.choose the right folder. if you install it in the default install folder whatever application you are trying to install will be gone when you restart your zune. simply press the icon highlighted in red on the image to move up one folder

5.select "flash2". all files in flash2 will remain after you restart your zune

6.press ok. this will begin the install. after it completes, a folder labeled "opera mini" will be created wherever you chose to install it

*more applications can be found in the liberate compatibility list*

Step 5: using opera
one of the most useful applications for liberate is the opera mini browser. it is often more versatile than the zunes native browser.
1.basic use. to start opera, open the opera mini folder you just installed, and select the file titled "Opera". it also has the red opera logo above it.

2.opera has a fairly basic, user freindly interface. the address bar is in the top-left, and there is a google search bar in the top right. while browsing, pressing the menu button at any time will display these. *to enable the menu bar, rotate your zune so the display switches to portrait/landscape, and then back to whichever orientation you prefer*

3.downloading files. start by googling "liberate compatibility" in the search bar. the first link should be to the liberate compatibility list. scrolling down to the very bottom you should see a program called "sniffi". sniffi is a tool that can be used to re-connect to wi-fi networks whenever the connection times out. to download sniffi, click on the link, and then the download button in mediafire.

4. when downloading any file, you will have to change the download location or else it will download to a folder that is cleared when your zune restarts. this is quite easy to do, simply press the arrow under "save to" to reveal a list of options. select flash2, or other and then a folder of your choice. click save in the bottom left to download the file.

Step 5: using sniffi
sniffi is the only program known to be able to reconnect your zune to a wireless network. this is a great tool because a bug causes the connection to timeout occasionally.
1. open sniffi. it does not need to be installed, just click on the sniffi.exe file. this will open up a small description screen. press the small arrow in the bottom right corner to continue to the main program.
2.the network you are connected to will have a green icon next to it. if your connection is not working, right click on the network you should be connected to and press "quick connect" in the drop-down menu.
*note: you cannot connect to secured networks through sniffi*

This concludes the tutorial, if anything is still unclear, or you if i have left something out, please let me know.

boohbah11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

I'll give this a sticky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
runewake2
Experienced Zuner

runewake2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to runewake2

Great post. +rep

runewake2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Netrix
Purger of Ignorance
Development Front
Retired Staff
Super ZunerĀ²

Netrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Netrix

It was fun working on it. Too bad I have no time for it anymore. It's good to know that people are still using it though.

Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
andy123123
Zewbie

andy123123 is on a distinguished road

i dont understand part 2 do you do that on the zune or the compputer?

is there a liberate for iPod touch

andy123123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy123123 View Post
i dont understand part 2 do you do that on the zune or the compputer?

is there a liberate for iPod touch
On the computer, and no. Liberate is a way to run Windows CE, which the Zune is built on. No iPod is running on Windows CE.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
andy123123
Zewbie

Question

when i try to run deploy kit to liberate my Zune hd it says i have to have xna game studio 3.1 instaled am i doing it wrong?

so you deploy the uncompressed libirate to zune? how does deploykit find the zune its self or what?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy123123 View Post
when i try to run deploy kit to liberate my Zune hd it says i have to have xna game studio 3.1 instaled am i doing it wrong?

so you deploy the uncompressed libirate to zune? how does deploykit find the zune its self or what?
You might want to start by reading one of the stickies around here and installing XNA Game Studio 3.1 first.

Yes and yes.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
andy123123
Zewbie

found out it wasn't a problem with the wire the pins inside the Zune are broken 4 of them

does any body know where to get a zune hd 32gb cheap?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
Captain Corianne
Zewbie

Captain Corianne is on a distinguished road

How do I get Opera Mini to download on my computer? it says it will only download on a mobile device

Captain Corianne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Henry07
Epic Spamness
Zewbie

Henry07 is on a distinguished road

I read your post, thanks boohbah11 for sharing and nice post.

Last edited by Henry07; 01-19-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Henry07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2014, 02:52 AM   #12
Doan Bao
Zewbie

Doan Bao is on a distinguished road

Do this Zune have work on PC ?

Doan Bao is offline   Reply With Quote