Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Game and Hack Support

Game and Hack Support Come here for help with any of the XNA based Zune Games or for help with any of the Hacks or zTools.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
musiczuner
Squirt

musiczuner is on a distinguished road
Default Gameboy Emulator and other questions

I have quite a few questions so be prepared(:

First, I have an idea of what a gameboy emulator is but can someone give me a direct definition

Secondly, where are 3rd party apps available, I've seen zhdapps.com but is that the only place

Third, on zhdapps.com there is a gameboy emulator that is visual boy zune and also zunester, which one is better or are they the same thing (please explain why you would like one more than the other)

I have heard that with open zdk apps you don't have to restart you're zune after using it, is the process of putting games on the same and could open zdk apps be harmful to you're zune

Thanks in advance

musiczuner<3

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
ZuFi
/me .
Senior Editor
GFX Crew
Elite Zuner

ZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to all

An emulator is like a virtual console on your Zune. It is an app that runs Gameboy games.

You can a ton of apps here and here.

zuNESter is an emulator app that runs Nintendo Entertainment System game, and Virtual Boy Zune runs Gameboy games.

With OpenZDK apps, you don't reset after using them, but, to access DRMed content, like Zune Pass music, you'll have to. The process if like XNA. When you download the game onto your computer, you must open a file in the folder titled DeployKit.exe, and a program will open and start deploying the game onto your Zune. OpenZDK apps have never harmed a Zune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about

1) an emulator is something that mimics something else, so a gameboy emulator is something that behaves like a gameboy, and can run the same games, but is not actually a gameboy
2) 3rd party apps can be found on a few sites, but i think we have the largest collection here at ZB. most of the time other sites won't have apps that we don't have, and vice versa. visual boy zune (vbz) is a gameboy emulator and zunester is a NES emulator (NES, or nintendo entertainment system, was one of nintendos first consoles). they are both great, but quite different programs
3) ozdk apps don't HAVE to restart, but in order to use any DRM'd content your zune will need to be restarted. this doesn't harm the zune at all. your zune will also restart after you deploy any games. you can restart your zune all you want, it won't harm it at all.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
musiczuner
Squirt

i've heard that you can add different gameboy games once you've installed the app is it for both vbz and zunester

Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

yep, you can add your own roms to each, they have instructions in their threads

Old 07-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Alex
Ban ALL the Users
GFX Crew
Super Moderator
Expert Zuner

Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiczuner View Post
i've heard that you can add different gameboy games once you've installed the app is it for both vbz and zunester
Yes, you can download different gameboy games but you will have to find them on your own since downloading gameboy games is illegal.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
musiczuner
Squirt

oh then i'm definitely not going to do that

what games are already on both apps

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yes, you can download different gameboy games but you will have to find them on your own since downloading gameboy games is illegal.
not true, if you own a hard copy of the games it is legal to download a digital copy of that game

Old 07-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Alex
Ban ALL the Users
GFX Crew
Super Moderator
Expert Zuner

Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohbah11 View Post
not true, if you own a hard copy of the games it is legal to download a digital copy of that game
I know, but regardless we can't give him links here because I HIGHLY doubt everyone on the site owns any one gameboy game.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Grim
Banned
Expert Zuner

Grim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Grim Send a message via MSN to Grim

If you want to get apps use this
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56199

Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
ZuFi
/me .
Senior Editor
GFX Crew
Elite Zuner

ZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to all

Quote:
Actually, that's still illegal. Same with music.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
dooglehead
><(((ยบ>
Support Team
Graduate Zuner

dooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to dooglehead Send a message via Skype™ to dooglehead

Quote:
2) 3rd party apps can be found on a few sites, but i think we have the largest collection here at ZB..
That is correct. Most other sites like ZHDapps take apps from here and repost them on their own website.
Quote:
Nope. That's still illegal, at least in the US.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooglehead View Post
Nope. That's still illegal, at least in the US.
i think it might be different for canada, i'll have to do some research

Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Draklor
ribbit
Retired Global
Zune Lord

Draklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to Draklor

People try and say that's legal but it's not because they don't know if you own it or not and will still charge you if you're caught. But emulated games are so small and trivial no one cares enough about them.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

after doing some research, yes it is illegal.

Closed Thread