Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > General/Life Discussion > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Serious discussion about things. NO SPAM.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
J2800
sig parvis magna
Retired Staff
Zune Lord
 
J2800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sexyland
Posts: 5,061
J2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to all
Default Personality Disorders

I'm interested in psychology, and I was reading some books on psychology and human emotions, and discovered that there are a wealth of personality disorders people can be afflicted with. Then I looked at the signs of a few of them.

I realized I'm a psychopath with narcissistic and histrionic tendencies.

This actually satisfied me quite a bit. Knowing that there was a reason for my pathological lying and shallow emotions did a lot to assuage the feelings that I was somehow abnormal (even though meeting these requirements is done by <1% of the population).

Here's a list of some personality disorders. Check them out and see if any apply to you (you can Google the tests for each). Do you know that you have any of these? How do you deal with them, or not?




J2800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Rainbow Dash
Banned
Zune Lord
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,132
Rainbow Dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2800 View Post
I'm interested in psychology, and I was reading some books on psychology and human emotions, and discovered that there are a wealth of personality disorders people can be afflicted with. Then I looked at the signs of a few of them.

I realized I'm a psychopath with narcissistic and histrionic tendencies.

This actually satisfied me quite a bit. Knowing that there was a reason for my pathological lying and shallow emotions did a lot to assuage the feelings that I was somehow abnormal (even though meeting these requirements is done by <1% of the population).

Here's a list of some personality disorders. Check them out and see if any apply to you (you can Google the tests for each). Do you know that you have any of these? How do you deal with them, or not?

You honestly have to be careful with reading all these books, you'll self diagnose yourself with a lot of things you don't actually have.



Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
J2800
sig parvis magna
Retired Staff
Zune Lord
 
J2800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sexyland
Posts: 5,061
J2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
You honestly have to be careful with reading all these books, you'll self diagnose yourself with a lot of things you don't actually have.
This doesn't come just from my own thoughts and opinions, people have been telling me I'm shallow for years. I know I'm manipulative and tend to lie to people to achieve my benefits.




J2800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Rainbow Dash
Banned
Zune Lord
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,132
Rainbow Dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2800 View Post
This doesn't come just from my own thoughts and opinions, people have been telling me I'm shallow for years. I know I'm manipulative and tend to lie to people to achieve my benefits.
That describes just about every child to teenager.



Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Nabs
Why
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Experienced Member
 
Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: *point* over there
Posts: 818
Nabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Nabs Send a message via Skype™ to Nabs
Default

Ok, no offence to anyone involved, but even if you think you're a manipulative little lying bitch, it doesna make you a psychopath. Especially one with narcissistic and histrionic tendencies. What you are [and here I'm not calling you anything, I'm just using what you've told us] is a liar and a vain person.

This is one of the more annoying threads I've found on zB. I mean.. don't we have enough on our plates without having to [mis]diagnose ourselves with various psychopathic tendencies when in fact they are probly only slight humane ticks to each of us? As Jordeh told me "let a doctor mis diagnose us instead " I swear, just cos you watch a lot of TV and shows like Criminal Minds and Lie to Me doesna make you an expert, just the same way watching all of Buffy willna make you into an arse-kicking vampire slayer [sadly enough]. So seriously, stop wasting your time mate. I'm not discouraging psychology, nor am I calling it stupid. It definitely exists, and definitely makes sense (except Freud to me, but that's another topic for another time). So if you're really interested, study it properly, don't just read a few articles here and there and then diagnose yourself with things that you may or may not have. Because sometimes these things turn out to be some weird kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. Cos you're always going to brush away whatever wrong behaviour with "Hey, I was born a megalomaniac with schizophrenic tendencies~" and by letting yourself get away with that behaviour, you're probly going to become one, whether you were that way to start off with or not.

And after all this, you're calling me a bitch and telling me to shut up, but meh, since you made a thread, you suffer the consequences.



Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Alex
Ban ALL the Users
GFX Crew
Super Moderator
Expert Zuner
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,640
Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
Ok, no offence to anyone involved, but even if you think you're a manipulative little lying bitch, it doesna make you a psychopath. Especially one with narcissistic and histrionic tendencies. What you are [and here I'm not calling you anything, I'm just using what you've told us] is a liar and a vain person.

This is one of the more annoying threads I've found on zB. I mean.. don't we have enough on our plates without having to [mis]diagnose ourselves with various psychopathic tendencies when in fact they are probly only slight humane ticks to each of us? As Jordeh told me "let a doctor mis diagnose us instead " I swear, just cos you watch a lot of TV and shows like Criminal Minds and Lie to Me doesna make you an expert, just the same way watching all of Buffy willna make you into an arse-kicking vampire slayer [sadly enough]. So seriously, stop wasting your time mate. I'm not discouraging psychology, nor am I calling it stupid. It definitely exists, and definitely makes sense (except Freud to me, but that's another topic for another time). So if you're really interested, study it properly, don't just read a few articles here and there and then diagnose yourself with things that you may or may not have. Because sometimes these things turn out to be some weird kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. Cos you're always going to brush away whatever wrong behaviour with "Hey, I was born a megalomaniac with schizophrenic tendencies~" and by letting yourself get away with that behaviour, you're probly going to become one, whether you were that way to start off with or not.

And after all this, you're calling me a bitch and telling me to shut up, but meh, since you made a thread, you suffer the consequences.
I completely agree with this. All too often do people look up psychological disorders and claim that they have this and that. In reality, extremely few people actually suffer from a psychological disorder, it's just that people want to say there's something wrong with them that's out of their control instead of trying to fix their problems. They use the excuse of a psychological disorder to act the way they actually want to act or are too lazy to fix.

Some guy - "I can't help but be narcissistic and egotistical. I have a psychological disorder."
Me - No, you're just a douche.



Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
J2800
sig parvis magna
Retired Staff
Zune Lord
 
J2800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sexyland
Posts: 5,061
J2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
Ok, no offence to anyone involved, but even if you think you're a manipulative little lying bitch, it doesna make you a psychopath. Especially one with narcissistic and histrionic tendencies. What you are [and here I'm not calling you anything, I'm just using what you've told us] is a liar and a vain person.

This is one of the more annoying threads I've found on zB. I mean.. don't we have enough on our plates without having to [mis]diagnose ourselves with various psychopathic tendencies when in fact they are probly only slight humane ticks to each of us? As Jordeh told me "let a doctor mis diagnose us instead " I swear, just cos you watch a lot of TV and shows like Criminal Minds and Lie to Me doesna make you an expert, just the same way watching all of Buffy willna make you into an arse-kicking vampire slayer [sadly enough]. So seriously, stop wasting your time mate. I'm not discouraging psychology, nor am I calling it stupid. It definitely exists, and definitely makes sense (except Freud to me, but that's another topic for another time). So if you're really interested, study it properly, don't just read a few articles here and there and then diagnose yourself with things that you may or may not have. Because sometimes these things turn out to be some weird kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. Cos you're always going to brush away whatever wrong behaviour with "Hey, I was born a megalomaniac with schizophrenic tendencies~" and by letting yourself get away with that behaviour, you're probly going to become one, whether you were that way to start off with or not.

And after all this, you're calling me a bitch and telling me to shut up, but meh, since you made a thread, you suffer the consequences.
This isn't just a case of looking up wikipedia articles, I read a few books on it and took the PCLR (link). I got a 30.

If you don't believe in psychological issues, fine, but don't troll the thread. I wanted people's stories and how they deal with it.




J2800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Alex
Ban ALL the Users
GFX Crew
Super Moderator
Expert Zuner
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,640
Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2800 View Post
This isn't just a case of looking up wikipedia articles, I read a few books on it and took the PCLR (link). I got a 30.

If you don't believe in psychological issues, fine, but don't troll the thread. I wanted people's stories and how they deal with it.
She never said she didn't believe in them, just that people often think they have them when they don't. It is extremely rare to have a psychological disorder and most people say they have them because they don't want to try to change what's wrong with them. It's a simple case of "I don't want to change so I'll tell people I can't change."



Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Nabs
Why
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Experienced Member
 
Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: *point* over there
Posts: 818
Nabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Nabs Send a message via Skype™ to Nabs
Default

First off, there was no trolling in there. It was an opinion yes, but if you think that is trolling, I think you need to go ask Locke about a thing or two. Secondly, if diagnosing yourself is that easy, why don't most people go and do a couple of online tests instead of paying shrinks upto 3 and 4 figures per hour to find out what the hell is wrong with them? Oh, and as for "people's stories and how they deal with it" (which btw ought to have been dealt, if you used wanted, which you did), I never discouraged anyone else from replying to you. I said that I felt that this was a useless topic, and one that ought to be discussed with a fair amount of caution. This was my opinion. I stated it. I don't see why I shouldna, seeing as how it is a relevant thread and even the mods don't have a problem with it.



Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
J2800
sig parvis magna
Retired Staff
Zune Lord
 
J2800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sexyland
Posts: 5,061
J2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to allJ2800 is a name known to all
Default

I never said you "shouldna" say what you did, it's just deviation from the intention of the thread- should have been more specific.

Self-diagnosis isn't the most efficient method, but it's often accurate. Paying a psychologist is common because real emotional relief is better achieved in conversation with real people helps to work through issues, something you can't do as well online.




J2800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
Alex
Ban ALL the Users
GFX Crew
Super Moderator
Expert Zuner
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,640
Alex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud ofAlex has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Default

How exactly is it often accurate? Whether you have a psychological disorder that makes you narcissistic or you're just a selfish ass hole you'll get the same results. It's flawed beyond belief.



Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
Beausiph
All of Beau's hoes, wanna take a ride on Beau's hose
Retired Global
Super Zuner
 
Beausiph's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ......
Posts: 1,520
Beausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to allBeausiph is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Beausiph
Default

My professor often talks about this. Take a class on abnormal Psychology, it's fascinating.



There is one way to be normal, but millions of ways to be perverted.



Beausiph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
Agent 47
Jr. Member
 
Agent 47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CENSORED
Posts: 295
Agent 47 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
How exactly is it often accurate? Whether you have a psychological disorder that makes you narcissistic or you're just a selfish ass hole you'll get the same results. It's flawed beyond belief.
like it's already been mentioned, the whole social disorder thing is just a sham to be politically correct, and make a couple billion dollars off of selling drugs. I mean seriously, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, symptoms include:
Negativity
Defiance
Disobedience
Hostility directed toward authority figures

who the heck falls for this ****. Where I come from, we call them rebels, not coddled and given a nice little prescription after they go out and kill a couple cops "cause they have this disorder, it's in their nature."
It basically goes back to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
but even if you think you're a manipulative little lying bitch, it doesna make you a psychopath. Especially one with narcissistic and histrionic tendencies. What you are [and here I'm not calling you anything, I'm just using what you've told us] is a liar and a vain person.
but in the end he who is convinced against his will is of the same opinion still, this is what it all boils down to, if u can't raise urself above it, then drive urself to suicide.





Agent 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #14
putis
Demi Zuner
 
putis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,279
putis has a brilliant futureputis has a brilliant futureputis has a brilliant futureputis has a brilliant futureputis has a brilliant futureputis has a brilliant futureputis has a brilliant futureputis has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausiph View Post
There is one way to be normal, but millions of ways to be perverted.
As far as psychology is concerned, there is no such thing as normal. The state of being 'normal' is not described much in psychology, one has to assume that 'normal' is the absence of all the things that psychology does study.


As for 'psychological disorders,' you're not a psychopath, mostly because no one is a psychopath, because psychological disorders do not really exist as most people understand them.

Common psychology is flawed in that it uses overly-generic labels to describe behavior, and then uses that same label and/or behavior as the reason why the label is deserving. In other words, most psychology is polluted with circular logic:

Why does Timmy act strange?
-He's a psychopath.
How do you know he's a psychopath?
-Because he acts strange.

An even worse situation is when a diagnosis has been made, and the label itself is given as the cause of the behavior.

Why does Timmy act strange?
-Because he has ADD.



tl;dr: There are no such things as personality disorders, at least not the way they are understood by most people, though the same could be said for 'personality' and 'consciousness'. If you're really interested in psychology, read up on behaviorism. It's the only field of psychology that's actually scientific (based and maintained by observations) and not filled with all this bs.



putis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
Nabs
Why
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Experienced Member
 
Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: *point* over there
Posts: 818
Nabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to allNabs is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Nabs Send a message via Skype™ to Nabs
Default

If someone is going to tell me that the only reason people go to actual shrinks in person instead of sitting on the internet, taking tests, diagnosing themselves, and then finding support groups to help themselves is cos of the lack of the human touch (so to speak), then I can positively diagnose that they are, in fact, suffering from a form of psychoticness. They're delusional.



Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
Prodigy
Jr. Member
 
Prodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In a box on the side of the road
Posts: 376
Prodigy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Prodigy Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy
Default

as RD said, "You honestly have to be careful with reading all these books, you'll self diagnose yourself with a lot of things you don't actually have"

He is absolutley right, be careful




Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
no new posts