Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > General/Life Discussion

General/Life Discussion Just talk about anything.

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future
Default Me or Me?

I like people on here knowing who I am, knowing my name, but I love my cover-guy (Charge) and his never changed avatar.

I keep thinking about changing my account name to my real first name, would you like that? Or is that a bit weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Legend
Zune Freak

Legend is a jewel in the roughLegend is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Legend Send a message via Skype™ to Legend

Charge. Mainly because even if you did change your name, everyone would still call you Charge probably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I don’t know whether I’m alive and dreaming or dead and remembering. How can you tell what’s a dream and what’s real if you can’t even tell when you’re awake or when you’re asleep?" - Johnny Got His Gun

Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
enterflux
Graduate Zuner

enterflux is a name known to allenterflux is a name known to allenterflux is a name known to allenterflux is a name known to allenterflux is a name known to all

Keep it Charge. Don't follow the movement. (I personally am thinking about switching back to my original name.)

Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Legend
Zune Freak

Send a message via MSN to Legend Send a message via Yahoo to Legend Send a message via Skype™ to Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Keep it Charge. Don't follow the movement. (I personally am thinking about switching back to my original name.)
Enterflux

"I don’t know whether I’m alive and dreaming or dead and remembering. How can you tell what’s a dream and what’s real if you can’t even tell when you’re awake or when you’re asleep?" - Johnny Got His Gun

Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

I've always preferred screen names to real names myself. There's already an account named David anyways.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Charge
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

It would've been David H if it came to it.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge View Post
It would've been David H if it came to it.
It'd be funny if it let you use the same name multiple times. From a practical perspective it doesn't make much sense, but from a technical one the user ID is already a key value, and a database only needs one, so if for some reason the name wasn't specified as a key value, it could actually be done.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Charge
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It'd be funny if it let you use the same name multiple times. From a practical perspective it doesn't make much sense, but from a technical one the user ID is already a key value, and a database only needs one, so if for some reason the name wasn't specified as a key value, it could actually be done.
I could probably do it if i included some html coding, like including a color or something, but that's too much hassle.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge View Post
I could probably do it if i included some html coding, like including a color or something, but that's too much hassle.
I don't think it would parse. I've never used a vB ACP, but every other ACP I've used only parses in two fields on either side of the name. Then again, I know it can parse images natively (I had to insert custom JS into individual skins to work that on IPB), so if it can do that it can probably parse other HTML. But then again, I'm also pretty sure it still retained the normal name in some areas, so what was probably done was along the lines of "image open comment | name | close comment" in three fields, if vB has that for names, to allow the image to display but the real name to be maintained. So it may not parse.

Confused yet? :v

Also, if that three-part scheme of mine works, I just found the work-around for IPB without using JS.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Charge
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Quote:
I don't think it would parse. I've never used a vB ACP, but every other ACP I've used only parses in two fields on either side of the name. Then again, I know it can parse images natively (I had to insert custom JS into individual skins to work that on IPB), so if it can do that it can probably parse other HTML. But then again, I'm also pretty sure it still retained the normal name in some areas, so what was probably done was along the lines of "image open comment | name | close comment" in three fields, if vB has that for names, to allow the image to display but the real name to be maintained. So it may not parse.

Confused yet? :v

Also, if that three-part scheme of mine works, I just found the work-around for IPB without using JS.
Thinking on the spot, I like it.

I think when they had images as names here, they had to create a new usergroup, then add existing permissions.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
xxjahasotoxx

xxjahasotoxx has a spectacular aura aboutxxjahasotoxx has a spectacular aura about

all the name changes just confuse me, but that's cause i'm hardly on here, and i'm a bit slow.....

Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
Draklor
ribbit
Retired Global
Zune Lord

Draklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to allDraklor is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to Draklor

Quote:
Similar to how Steam uses log in names and display names, yes?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Arfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to behold

Zunited's old forum did that.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
Seb
Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies!
So mainstream, I'm a standard
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Seb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Seb Send a message via Skype™ to Seb

Just keep it

Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Legend
Zune Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Zunited's old forum did that.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Similar to how Steam uses log in names and display names, yes?
Well, I'm pretty sure that vB puts the name as a key value anyways. You only need one, but there's nothing stopping you from having two. But yes, in Steam display names are not a key value and can thus hold any otherwise valid data.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
Nanaki
Holy Zuner
Development Front
Retired Staff
Holy Zuner

Nanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant futureNanaki has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty sure that vB puts the name as a key value anyways. You only need one, but there's nothing stopping you from having two. But yes, in Steam display names are not a key value and can thus hold any otherwise valid data.
VB schema for 3.8.7 has a PK on user ID and a plain key on username. It also has keys on birthday and primary usergroup ID among others. A MySQL key is simply an Index which is not necessarily UNIQUE. A PK is unique as a property of the PK constraint however. The point is that at the database level you could have two people with the same username. However there is protection against creating two rows with the same name higher up which I doubt can be defied. And Charge with 99.9% probability has no SQL access (and if he did he could get around a UNIQUE field anyways with a little IGNORE magic).

You seem to be saying Key to mean both Primary Key and UNIQUE constraints which isn't proper

Old 10-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post
You seem to be saying Key to mean both Primary Key and UNIQUE constraints which isn't proper
I did not do well in that class. :v

Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
Bellic
Big mouth prick.
Expert Zuner

Bellic has a spectacular aura aboutBellic has a spectacular aura about

Keep it. I've always loved the Charge name. Plus, everyone knows your real name anyway, and changing it (if you also changed your avatar) would confuse everyone.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #20
Agent 47

Agent 47 is on a distinguished road

in the 3 years since I joined I'v never really been a regular member, but I have to say you guys will never know how you'v shaped my life. Zuneboards was my door into social web, before ZB I thought the Internet consisted of Ebay and CNN. Consequently it's been really sad to log in between long stretches and have to read all the retirement threads etc. But over the years one thing remained constant, Charge was Charge, Charge should be Charge. Keep Charge Charge.

Closed Thread