Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications

Zune Games and Applications Discuss, request, share, and download Zune Games here. Having troubles with Zune Games? No problem, we can help.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #21
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about

i haven't really tried, but it really doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work. so far, i've only been able to import 1 book not off the existing catalog, and the book i downloaded off the feed books website. something tells me there is some sort of special coding or formatting or something that goes into their downloads to make it compatible with the zune reader (or other e-readers)

EDIT: found out why! turns out the software i was using to convert it put all the metadata in HTML format, but the files off of feedbooks are all in XML format. i am looking for a different converter now, and i will let you know if i find one =)

Last edited by boohbah11; 03-04-2011 at 11:54 PM.

boohbah11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
Air King
Zune Guardian

Air King is on a distinguished road

I added Gutenburg, but it's insanely ugly and provides no metadata.

Air King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #23
alexv13
Experienced Zuner

alexv13 is on a distinguished road

howd you add Gutenber? It's never worked for me before.
what was the complete link that you used?

alexv13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #24
Air King
Zune Guardian

It was posted earlier, the URL is different, but when you add it, it's gutenburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungluck View Post
[url=http://lucidor.org/opds/pg.php[/url]

Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #25
alexv13
Experienced Zuner

alexv13 is on a distinguished road

ohhh i tried that one before, yea it sucks. i thought you meant the realll gutenberg catalog. So yea, idt this is ever going to work.

alexv13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #26
Air King
Zune Guardian

I'm sure that with a few updates they'll figure it out... Then again, zune app updates seem to be less then once a month.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #27
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

so i have now found that i can download a book off feedbooks, upload it to dropbox, and it will be just fine. however if i even change the cover image, it will not work.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #28
Zanji
Zewbie

Zanji is on a distinguished road

Did anyone notice that the categories changed? I could of sworn there was a Cyberpunk category and Cthulhu Mythos, now there isn't.

Zanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #29
Megasupercoolcoolguy
Zewbie

Megasupercoolcoolguy is on a distinguished road

Hi, I stumbled upon this app while updating my zune and it is a great idea!

For the most part however, it has been highly frustrating.

I've managed to upload a few of my own books onto the app by converting .pdf to .epub and putting on the web hosting service of my ISP, but for many books, it just doesn't work! The files work fine on the computer, but when I upload it, it will fail, or even give a success message but won't appear in the list of my books!

It doesn't seem to be the format either, as I have tried to convert files to .txt and .html and the chance of success is still quite low!

Has anybody had these problems and managed to fix it?

Megasupercoolcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #30
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

If you can send me a couple of examplesof what books did work, and what ones didn't that wouldnbe very helpful as to narrowing down exactly what criteria needs to be met for books to be compatible with the zune reader. The site you got them from, and the converter you used would be helpful too.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM   #31
Megasupercoolcoolguy
Zewbie

Megasupercoolcoolguy is on a distinguished road

Actually, all the books I have been uploading have done so successfully, especially the free books from the catalog. What is actually happening is that when I exit the app and restart it, the last book I uploaded replaces the book I have at the bottom. Right now I can only have two books, which is not so fun.

I have had no problem converting the likes of Freakonomics and The Lost Symbol from .pdf to .epub using a trial version of this software PDF to ePub, Convert PDF to ePub for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader

I had problems though with The Stuff of Thought by Steven pinker, but it just continuously says the process failed and would even delete my other books.

the above books were from ebooks.com, they are the only ones I have that I didn't get for free (well they were from a gift certificate, so almost).

It must be mentioned that some books just failed continuously for a few times before finally working, and also that once a book was deleted, it wouldn't succeed again. Maybe it wasn't actually deleted, just disappeared?

I have had trouble converting some scientific journal articles, having to cut them in half on each page and then converting them to .epub, but I guess that is more of an issue with the conversion software than the app.

Megasupercoolcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #32
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

For the only two books at a time, try upping the amount of reserved space on your zune.
EDIT: and i guess i already tried that converter at one point...

Last edited by boohbah11; 03-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #33
goldenhopper
Zewbie

goldenhopper is on a distinguished road

found this on another forum:

03-07-2011, 03:51 PM

gusgus_MS

Developer's comments

Hey guys, I just jumped on the thread, and would love to help wherever I can! First, let me offer my apologies for any issues you've run into. I developed it completely on my spare time with no test team or other resources. I'd like to help, but since I'm not on the Zune team, my influence on bug fixes etc. is limited. Secondly, the eReader app doesn't support any form of DRM. If the book you're trying to download contains DRM, it won't load. Now, I'm going to try to address all the issue reports in this thread. Let me know if I missed something.

Quote:

how do you download books? do you have to have a zune pass or microsoft points?

--You can browse the feedbooks catalog which is included or enter the url of a TXT, HTML, PDB (only the eReader format), or EBUB book. If you have books in your personal collection (without DRM), you can upload them to a cloud storage option like skydrive or dropbox and enter the url on the zune to download them.

Quote:

Bugs in the Zune Reader app. I downloaded Benjamen buttons, then opened it to read. Went back to the main menu and change the setting from dark to light. Went back to the menu, then my book, then picked the book to read. Picked Last reading Position.

For some reason the dark/light setting page showed up on top of the screen, and no matter what I could do I couldn't get it off the screen. Had to close the app.

-- The dark/light settings page was added after I handed off the app to the Zune team, Dave & team will have to investigate.

Quote:

The only thing that I hate is that, it has to use wifi even to read the downloaded books, I may be otg you know.

-- The books are stored locally and available offline. Can you provide exact steps to reproduce the issue? I'm able to read my books offline. I think at startup it tries to connect to the internet to get the feedbooks icon. I agree that it shouldn't prompt for WIFI access until you actually go to the catalog.

Quote:

Any reason the pages have to scroll instead of flip like 99% of the ebook apps out there? Unnatural and inefficient to have to slide text up read on. There is a reason the old-fashion book analogy persists.

-- The book content is all HTML markup which like any webpage will flow vertically. The eReader then esentially becomes a simple web browser, and you run into all the difficulty of trying to turn a web page into individual pages. We hear you! I'm not saying it can't be done, but with the computational limitations of the Zune, splitting the text into pages would impact performace. The suggestion of just scrolling one page at a time is something I wanted to do, but never had time for.

Quote:

However...it does not work on the Zune ://

yes, it is an OPDS catalog. Yes i tried the XML and HTML Links. it won't work. Dave, please help us out with this. The guys on Zuneboards cant find a way to do this either.

-- I have not tried setting up one of these custom OPDS catalogs. Can you send me a link to one so I can see what's not working?

Quote:

you cant download books from ebook store for some reason, the only books you seem to be able to download are some original books and all of the public domain books. shame you can only have up to 10 books on it at a time though. it doesnt have a word limit or file size limit, just 10 books and thats it. so, any of you wanting lots of short stories are screwed. for now, im sticking to kafka lol. also it seems very buggy...

-- You can't download books from an ebook store because it doesn't support DRM. If there is any 10 book limit, it was added after I handed off to the Zune team.

Quote:

wow. this app is seriously handicapped.

plus, none of the other OPDS sites ive used have worked

-- Can you be specific about what features you're missing?

Quote:

Has anyone else had any trouble downloading and of the books from the Original Books part of the catalog? My Zune simply refuses to download anything that isn't part of the Public Domain Books. None of the self-published novels or short stories are available.

-- The few I tried worked. Can you point to a specific title?

Quote:

I haven't been able to download any books from any other site, either. I tried via Project Gutenburg, but no success.

-- I did test against project gutenburg, and the books did work. Can you share which URL you entered and I can see why it's not working.

Last edited by Locke; 03-20-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Removed black color tags to make it readable on the default skin

goldenhopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #34
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

@golden that is extremely helpful, thank you for that, but which forum did you find this on?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #35
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Arfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to behold

Looks like it might've been ABI.

Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #36
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Well its either that, or the Zune.net forum (now switched to Microsoft answers or something like that I think) either way, it enabled me to finally add my own book! When I attempt to read it it just restArts my Zune, but its on there!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #37
goldenhopper
Zewbie

goldenhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Not sure where I found the info just stumbled upon it when I googled for the info.

Edit: found it - hey If you guys start talking to this guy perhaps there is a chance to gain influence on future apps perhaps even the programing code for a select few?

Why wouldn't ms not want devs making apps for the zune hd?

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...t=61584&page=2

Last edited by goldenhopper; 03-20-2011 at 03:58 PM.

goldenhopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #38
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

If you notice, he said he isn't part of the zune team, so you would be much better off finding someone who is. Or keep looking for oppurtunities to do some beta-testing of upcoming apps

Old 03-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #39
dooglehead
><(((ยบ>
Support Team
Graduate Zuner

dooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to dooglehead Send a message via Skype™ to dooglehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohbah11 View Post
If you notice, he said he isn't part of the zune team, so you would be much better off finding someone who is. Or keep looking for oppurtunities to do some beta-testing of upcoming apps
He isn't on the Zune team, but he programmed the app.

So far, I have only been able to import .txt files.

dooglehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #40
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooglehead View Post
He isn't on the Zune team, but he programmed the app.

So far, I have only been able to import .txt files.
i have succeeded in importing text files too, but was unable to read them. what file hosting service did you use, or what site did you download them off of?