Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications

Zune Games and Applications Discuss, request, share, and download Zune Games here. Having troubles with Zune Games? No problem, we can help.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
zeltmaster
Zuner
 
zeltmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: over the rainbow
Posts: 69
zeltmaster is on a distinguished road
Default

does vbz have gba support now? i believe thats pokemon firered in some of those shots






zeltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
Grim
Banned
Expert Zuner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,016
Grim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Grim Send a message via MSN to Grim
Default

It is just a photoshop job, no it does not yet have GBA support.



Grim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #23
zeltmaster
Zuner
 
zeltmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: over the rainbow
Posts: 69
zeltmaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
It is just a photoshop job, no it does not yet have GBA support.
awe i got excited there for a second lol






zeltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #24
iErikHD
Experienced Zuner
 
iErikHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: By a power source
Posts: 132
iErikHD is on a distinguished road
Default

I've been busy lately (end of school exams and projects ), but I edited my last layout. I changed up all the buttons and want to know what you guys think. Are they too dark? Should the arrows in the d-pad be there (if I lower their opacity they get all pixely)? Should I just stick with the other layout (just like this one, but all buttons are transparent).



For reference this was my older one:





iErikHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #25
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner
 
itsnotabigtruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,975
itsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant future
Default

Don't waste your time drawing up fancy mockups if you aren't going to bother actually making the layouts. The layout file syntax really isn't that complicated - as far as I can tell, you simply tell VB/Z which rectangle on the layout image matches up with which button. You can test the layouts by renaming one of the existing layout directories (e.g. Spike), creating a new one with the same name, and dropping the files inside.





itsnotabigtruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #26
iErikHD
Experienced Zuner
 
iErikHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: By a power source
Posts: 132
iErikHD is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotabigtruck View Post
Don't waste your time drawing up fancy mockups if you aren't going to bother actually making the layouts. The layout file syntax really isn't that complicated - as far as I can tell, you simply tell VB/Z which rectangle on the layout image matches up with which button. You can test the layouts by renaming one of the existing layout directories (e.g. Spike), creating a new one with the same name, and dropping the files inside.
Just because I don't happen to understand it doesn't mean somebody else could help get these layouts in the emulator properly.

Anyway.

Grim helped me on my layout and proposed these wonderful looking new buttons. I made a few small changes to them and this is the result:



Now if somebody could help me figure out how to put it in the emulator it would be much appreciated!

Also, thanks Grim for the help!




iErikHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #27
Spike!
Jr. Member
 
Spike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 318
Spike! is on a distinguished road
Default

Why the pointless border? Those colors will just eat up battery life and besides, I thought the whole reason you made your layout was because you wanted it to fill up the whole screen, it just defeats the point if you start reducing the viewable area. Plus the colors are distracting. Ontop of that you shifted the buttons even more twords the middle so they would fit inside the border and not overlap, which means your thumbs cover up even more than before.





Spike! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #28
Grim
Banned
Expert Zuner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,016
Grim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Grim Send a message via MSN to Grim
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike! View Post
Why the pointless border? Those colors will just eat up battery life and besides, I thought the whole reason you made your layout was because you wanted it to fill up the whole screen, it just defeats the point if you start reducing the viewable area. Plus the colors are distracting.
I told him the same thing basically...



Grim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
NECIO
Squirt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13
NECIO has disabled reputation
Default

''

Last edited by NECIO; 08-10-2011 at 01:39 AM.



NECIO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #30
iErikHD
Experienced Zuner
 
iErikHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: By a power source
Posts: 132
iErikHD is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike! View Post
Why the pointless border? Those colors will just eat up battery life and besides, I thought the whole reason you made your layout was because you wanted it to fill up the whole screen, it just defeats the point if you start reducing the viewable area. Plus the colors are distracting. Ontop of that you shifted the buttons even more twords the middle so they would fit inside the border and not overlap, which means your thumbs cover up even more than before.
I think I explained why I put the border there in the release thread. It allows for better implementation of the start, select, and menu buttons and also allows for better positioning of the power indicator. Ontop of this it makes it look much cooler in my opinion so I went with it. It will not eat up battery life, in fact it might save more. The emulator won't have to run the game fullscreen now (lots of colors) which will save battery and if so desired one could remove the stripes and save even more power.

As for the buttons. When I had them in the bottom corners of the screen everybody said to move them inside. I moved them inside and then when Grim did some editing he moved them a bit more. I figured this is what people wanted so that is what I went with. I realize there can be no comprimise among different people, but it is getting ridiculous. I should just make a layout with no buttons and tell people to guess where to put their fingers, maybe that would work (I will actually do this for myself maybe!).

If you find the colors distracting thats fine, you don't have to have them there. I personally like them because (once again) people were calling my layouts too drab so I added color (which Grim helped examplify with a little effect ) and now its too much. I like the layout, therefor I'm going to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
I told him the same thing basically...
When did you say this?




iErikHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
Spike!
Jr. Member
 
Spike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 318
Spike! is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iErikHD View Post
snip
Well, you could easily make that look alot better and that's all i'll say. You don't HAVE to use Zune colors just because it's an app for the zune.

I made this in about 30 seconds as an example of what you could do with that border.


Last edited by Spike!; 06-04-2010 at 06:00 PM.





Spike! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #32
NECIO
Squirt
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13
NECIO has disabled reputation
Default

''

Last edited by NECIO; 08-10-2011 at 01:39 AM.



NECIO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
iErikHD
Experienced Zuner
 
iErikHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: By a power source
Posts: 132
iErikHD is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike! View Post
Well, you could easily make that look alot better and that's all i'll say. You don't HAVE to use Zune colors just because it's an app for the zune.

I made this in about 30 seconds as an example of what you could do with that border.

We kind of have different tastes. I particularly don't really like that style (similar to your current one) which is fine! The background in mine can be replaced with just about anything, I'm not saying it has to be the zune colors.




iErikHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #34
Deathbot64
Zuner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Deep River, Canada
Posts: 75
Deathbot64 is on a distinguished road
Default

how do you change the layouts, because i do not know how to?





Deathbot64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #35
Airman Norry
Jr. Zuner
 
Airman Norry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 45
Airman Norry is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Airman Norry Send a message via MSN to Airman Norry Send a message via Yahoo to Airman Norry Send a message via Skype™ to Airman Norry
Default

I'm gonna be working on this thread, including directions on how to install the new themes, but I will need download links for the themes, downloads need to include layout.txt

Necio, you forgot to include Start and Select in your two handed layout.

Last edited by Seb; 06-06-2010 at 10:13 AM.




Airman Norry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #36
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner
 
Arfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arftopia
Posts: 5,951
Arfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to behold
Default

Actually he didn't. Start and Select are on the game's screen. Look where the purple wall is on the game. They're at the bottom.



Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #37
dschulz
Experienced Zuner
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Near Syracuse, NY
Posts: 130
dschulz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

WOW! I just posted an icon for no reason, and it made it to this thread. (5th one that was done w/ MS paint)




dschulz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #38
SteppingSplash
Half Bad
Expert Zuner
 
SteppingSplash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Well wouldn't you like to know?
Posts: 3,453
SteppingSplash has a spectacular aura aboutSteppingSplash has a spectacular aura about
Default





SteppingSplash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #39
Ombre
Squirt
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
Ombre is on a distinguished road
Default

Made this concept layout really quick. I was thinking that if a game required the extensive use of the L+R buttons it might be kind of annoying to move your thumbs/fingers all the way to the top of the screen, so that's where the idea for this layout came from.

The buttons might be too small, let me know what you think.



Ombre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #40
SteppingSplash
Half Bad
Expert Zuner
 
SteppingSplash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Well wouldn't you like to know?
Posts: 3,453
SteppingSplash has a spectacular aura aboutSteppingSplash has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombre View Post
Made this concept layout really quick. I was thinking that if a game required the extensive use of the L+R buttons it might be kind of annoying to move your thumbs/fingers all the way to the top of the screen, so that's where the idea for this layout came from.

The buttons might be too small, let me know what you think.
That makes sense, for if you use L and R more than Start and Select.




SteppingSplash is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
boy, emulator, game, vbz, zune

Thread Tools
no new posts