Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Game and Hack Support

Game and Hack Support Come here for help with any of the XNA based Zune Games or for help with any of the Hacks or zTools.

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Grishak
Zewbie

Grishak is on a distinguished road
Default 2^69 attempts to hack firmware.

So, back in the day there was an MMORPG called Earth and Beyond that got shut down. A while later an emulation team got together to resurrect the game. There was a 512bit encryption that needed to be cracked. We cracked it after about a month using a program called BOINC. I'm not sure if this idea has been brought up before, but I figured I'd contribute something in hopes we may get some custom firmware sometime this millennium.

BOINC

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
SilentWalrus
Knowledgable Walrus
Support Team
Expert Zuner

SilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to beholdSilentWalrus is a splendid one to behold

Umm..
hacking of the Zune's firmware can't be done.
By the way.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishak View Post
So, back in the day there was an MMORPG called Earth and Beyond that got shut down. A while later an emulation team got together to resurrect the game. There was a 512bit encryption that needed to be cracked. We cracked it after about a month using a program called BOINC. I'm not sure if this idea has been brought up before, but I figured I'd contribute something in hopes we may get some custom firmware sometime this millennium.

BOINC
Encryption isn't the issue, it's the digital signatures and they way that they are validated that make this technically impossible, unless someone is willing to sacrifice likely several fully functioning Zunes to some pretty severe hardware hacks. And even then victory is not guaranteed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

itsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Encryption isn't the issue, it's the digital signatures and they way that they are validated that make this technically impossible, unless someone is willing to sacrifice likely several fully functioning Zunes to some pretty severe hardware hacks. And even then victory is not guaranteed.
Digital signatures are a form of encryption; they are simply used in a different way.

It would probably be possible to start a BOINC project to crack Microsoft's private key for the Zune, but even with a massive number of participants (and it would be difficult to gain even a few participants) nothing would be yielded for many years.

If the private key were somehow found, hardware damage would be unlikely; the Zune can recover from a bad firmware image. The problem is the intractability of finding said key.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotabigtruck View Post
Digital signatures are a form of encryption; they are simply used in a different way.
Well, it's possible to decrypt it though, right? The problem that we have is that we can't actually run other firmware without the proper signature. That's what I meant. I may be wrong on that, but meh. *shrug*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
itsnotabigtruck
R E D R U M
Development Front
Retired Staff
Expert Zuner

itsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant futureitsnotabigtruck has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well, it's possible to decrypt it though, right? The problem that we have is that we can't actually run other firmware without the proper signature. That's what I meant. I may be wrong on that, but meh. *shrug*
True. Digital signatures verify authenticity while encryption conceals data, but both are cryptographic techniques (which is the phrase I should have used). We can access the data, just not alter it.

Short version: yeah, you're right.

Closed Thread