Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > The Archives

The Archives Classic threads from more simple times.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #261
blackwood550
Experienced Zuner

blackwood550 is on a distinguished road

Good luck to ya...yer gonna need it.

('es got no idea do e?)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #262
vbetts
Zewbie

vbetts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhoban View Post
You know, you're right! I've never worked on a xna program or emulation program in my life, but if I just *believe*... I-CAN-DO-IT.

Ok, my life's ambition is to make that emulator work for the 30 gig zune!
It's not emulation if you want to convert it.

The thing is though, a 500mhz cpu should enough for a gb emulator. I have no experience with XNA at all, but if I had to guess why it's not working right, is because the zune OS is not as open as what actual windows OS is for freeware. But then take into consideration other things, like the memory. 32mb was it or something like that? That's not enough really to load the emulator into, then process the rom. Unless something becomes more open for the Zune, I don't think we'll see anything improved until the ZuneHD comes out with the tegra inside of it. Until then, the only option is to basically remake the game.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 AM   #263
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbetts View Post

The thing is though, a 500mhz cpu should enough for a gb emulator. I have no experience with XNA at all, but if I had to guess why it's not working right, is because the zune OS is not as open as what actual windows OS is for freeware. But then take into consideration other things, like the memory. 32mb was it or something like that? That's not enough really to load the emulator into, then process the rom. Unless something becomes more open for the Zune, I don't think we'll see anything improved until the ZuneHD comes out with the tegra inside of it. Until then, the only option is to basically remake the game.
It's the compact .NET framework. It's just slow, and there's no way to run anything but managed code, C#. The memory is a bit of an issue but can be worked around with smart programming, loading and unloading from the RAM as needed. The game itself can be up to 2 GB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #264
Netrix
Purger of Ignorance
Development Front
Retired Staff
Super ZunerĀ²

Netrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Netrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbetts View Post

The Zune firmware currently only allows XNA programs to be run on it. The only reason the Zune does not run the NES emulator at a decent speed is because XNA (on the Zune) is horribly inefficient compared to native code. The current Zune are fully capable of running a native NES emulator at sufficient speed. The current Zunes have 64 MB of RAM.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #265
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netrix View Post
The Zune firmware currently only allows XNA programs to be run on it. The only reason the Zune does not run the NES emulator at a decent speed is because XNA (on the Zune) is horribly inefficient compared to native code. The current Zune are fully capable of running a native NES emulator at sufficient speed. The current Zunes have 64 MB of RAM.
They have 64 MB, but XNA only allows the use of 32 MB, correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #266
Tiptup300
Experienced Member

Tiptup300 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
16mb to make room for music.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #267
Netrix
Purger of Ignorance
Development Front
Retired Staff
Super ZunerĀ²

Netrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Netrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
16 MB, but that is irrelevant for any emulator on the Zune because XNA is not an option for a NES emulator that will run at more than 20 FPS, unless the Tegra is almost three times as fast as the Zune 30. It is also possible that the next update will allow more RAM to be used.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #268
tm3255
Zewbie

tm3255 is on a distinguished road

do you ppl think that theres any way to port psp games to Zune HD? because it would be extremly cool and i have heard rumors saying that Zune HD is some what equivalent to psp...

Old 12-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #269
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3255 View Post
do you ppl think that theres any way to port psp games to Zune HD? because it would be extremly cool and i have heard rumors saying that Zune HD is some what equivalent to psp...

No.

Thread closed to stop Grave Digs.