Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future
Default The first to fall: HTC Surround has been discontinued

HTC, which has probably taken the biggest chunk out of Windows Phone 7's inventory, released 5 (or 8) devices at the start of WP7's life. And after a year, it seems the stragglers have started to fall. Last week, the Surround, the phone with the slide out speaker, was discontinued.

I noticed on Telus the very large "Discontinued" banner across the top and that gave me a small hint. Oh, okay, a large one.

Once I dug further, I discovered that HTC's site no longer holds the device either, and neither does WP7's. It makes sense, seeing as HTC (again) is probably the largest contributor towards the device count for Mango; they'll be releasing the Titan and Radar very soon. HTC is doing well with the OS, but I never really saw anyone with a Surround, so I guess that gives reason why it would be discontinued.

This, with the news that the Dell Venue Pro has also taken a hit, definitely shows that WP7 is moving forward, and I can't wait to see what's in store for us come this holiday season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Not at all surprising; the selling feature of the phone, the speaker, was sub-par. I mean, not like there's much you can do in the space available, but it doesn't change the fact that buying a phone for the speaker and not getting a good speaker won't end in good sales. They should focus on other pursuits, like the new made-for-Mango phones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Cubby1996
Experienced Zuner

Cubby1996 has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cubby1996

I know two people with Windows Phones, one of them has the HTC Surround. I don't know what the other has. It can't be THAT uncommon

Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
ZuFi
/me .
Senior Editor
GFX Crew
Elite Zuner

ZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to allZuFi is a name known to all

Not surprised. I was turned off by the phone. I don't feel comfortable buying buying a phone that exclusively has the speaker going for it.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Super Moderator
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

Small speakers are never good, I am really surprised they even released it in the first place. All phones have speakers anyway, which in a way are meant to be bad, so you expected this to be better, but I promise you it probably wasn't!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Arfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to behold

The phone was too thick for my liking and it seemed like the speaker just slid out too easily.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Anonymoose
Zewbie

Anonymoose is on a distinguished road

I have an htc surround... Well the speaker is better then most phone speakers and much louder. I suppose that most people dont use phone speakers though.

Closed Thread