Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > zHD

zHD Help with the Zune HD.

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Archer168
Zewbie

Archer168 is on a distinguished road
Default Computer not recognizing my Zune HD

My computer recognizes that my Zune is plugged in, it gets power, and it even says the name of my Zune in the Device Manager. But it says "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10). Here are some of the things I've done so far...

1. System recovery to a previous date (Before the problems started happening)
2. Device manager stuff. Apparently my Zune Cannot be started and has a code ten
3. I've uninstalled the Zune from the Device Manager and tried reinstalling it
4. I did the former, uninstalling and reinstalling the Zune software before trying to reinstall the Zune itself
5. I've tried registry fixes
6. I've tried going back to a system restore point
7. I've used Windows' troubleshooter
8. I've used many fixit "solutions"
9. I've used multiple cables in multiple usb slots
10. One thing I did: I brought my Zune to school and installed Zune on my friend's computer and plugged my Zune in and it worked completely fine. So the problem is with my computer, not with the device itself or the cable.

The like original poster said, I don't want to try to do a full reset in case this is a software issue, and if it's a software issue I will lose all of the songs I do have on my Zune and I won't be able to listen to them, which would be a very very bad thing for me. My computer sees that there is a Zune there. I have literally spend the past 6 hours looking for a fix and I've tried everything I've come across with no results whatsoever. Nothing has changed. Please help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about

I would wait for mike to confirm this, but I guess older Zune models would give a similar error message, and a hard reset would fix it. Unfortunately I don't know as much as I should about older zune models, so I am not 100% sure about this.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

What does the link in the error msg say? when I search that error, I get suggestions to update .net. that may or may not be relevant, since as far as I know there are no recent .net updates (thus it makes no sense for that to be the root cause now...)
However, if .net somehow got corrupted on your PC... who knows...? This may help \: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077

Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Archer168
Zewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohbah11 View Post
I would wait for mike to confirm this, but I guess older Zune models would give a similar error message, and a hard reset would fix it. Unfortunately I don't know as much as I should about older zune models, so I am not 100% sure about this.
It worked on my friend's computer, so I highly doubt this is it. And I don't want to be left with no music to listen to if it doesn't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
What does the link in the error msg say? when I search that error, I get suggestions to update .net. that may or may not be relevant, since as far as I know there are no recent .net updates (thus it makes no sense for that to be the root cause now...)
However, if .net somehow got corrupted on your PC... who knows...? This may help \: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077
Which error message? The Code 10 message?

And I tried to reinstall .net (you sent me the link to 2, but I had 4 and re-downloaded and repaired 4, is that what I was supposed to do?) And I still have the same problem.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer168 View Post
It worked on my friend's computer, so I highly doubt this is it. And I don't want to be left with no music to listen to if it doesn't work!

Which error message? The Code 10 message?

And I tried to reinstall .net (you sent me the link to 2, but I had 4 and re-downloaded and repaired 4, is that what I was supposed to do?) And I still have the same problem.
1) Yes.
2) Yes.

We need more info... sorry.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Archer168
Zewbie

Quote:
1) Yes.
2) Yes.

We need more info... sorry.

The "Device status" in device manager reads "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

There's also an error in the Event Viewer that reads: "The description for Event ID 15300 from source WPDMTPDriver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

MTP WPD Driver
0x800700c1"

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer168 View Post
The "Device status" in device manager reads "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

There's also an error in the Event Viewer that reads: "The description for Event ID 15300 from source WPDMTPDriver cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

MTP WPD Driver
0x800700c1"
That error means the named driver is not present or is corrupt. You'll most likely need to reinstall it, and how to do that will be dependent on your OS, I think.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Archer168
Zewbie

Quote:
That error means the named driver is not present or is corrupt. You'll most likely need to reinstall it, and how to do that will be dependent on your OS, I think.
I have Windows 7 x64. I've located the driver but I can't figure out how to fix it.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Archer168
Zewbie

I tried just finding a copy of the driver online and replacing it manually (un-registerng and the like) but the files got really weird when transferring... Like when I tried to copy and paste it in order to have a backup it the file size is different. And if I delete it and then try to paste in the driver I downloaded it says that the initial file is still there. Please help!!! I have a new CD I'm picking up soon that I'm really excited to listen to but I can't listen to it if I can't put it on my Zune

Closed Thread