Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Talk > Zune HD

Zune HD Talk anything related to the Zune HD

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Pink Led Rush
Zuner

Pink Led Rush is on a distinguished road
Default Your Thoughts and Opinions Fellow Zuners

Heya guys, I've been a Zune fan since the day they came out, and at this point am obviously worried about its future. I have been openly against Apple products since I became a Zune fan, and would definitely say they are superior. Here's the deal though, as we all start to fill up our Zunes or they stop working. What options are there? If I upgrade to a bigger zHD will I have guaranteed support under the new Windows 8 apps and such? Or will the "Music" software no longer work with the Zune? Are there any other options for us non-Apple fans? Or will I have to bite the bullet and be forced into buying an Ipod? Also as far as Ipods go, would my collection go over easily or would I have to convert every single Windows-based (WMA/WMV,etc.) file over in order to use an Ipod?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with you, I don't plan on buying an iPod anytime in the future. What I would recommend is to advance your technical skills and buy some zhd parts on eBay, they've dropped in price quite a bit, and then you can make repairs as you need. My current Zune is a bit of a Frankenstein, most of the parts have been switched around etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Pink Led Rush
Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohbah11 View Post
I agree with you, I don't plan on buying an iPod anytime in the future. What I would recommend is to advance your technical skills and buy some zhd parts on eBay, they've dropped in price quite a bit, and then you can make repairs as you need. My current Zune is a bit of a Frankenstein, most of the parts have been switched around etc.
Has anyone attempted to upgrade the zHD storage to the 64g max? I know you can buy the hard drives for the 64, but is a hard swap?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
dooglehead
><(((ยบ>
Support Team
Graduate Zuner

dooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to dooglehead Send a message via Skype™ to dooglehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Led Rush View Post
Has anyone attempted to upgrade the zHD storage to the 64g max? I know you can buy the hard drives for the 64, but is a hard swap?
Zune HDs don't use hard drives. They use flash storage which is soldered directly to the motherboard. The only practical way to upgrade storage would be to swap motherboards.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooglehead View Post
Zune HDs don't use hard drives. They use flash storage which is soldered directly to the motherboard. The only practical way to upgrade storage would be to swap motherboards.
this wouldn't be too horrible in itself. If you were to get really fancy you could even put in a switch so the two motherboards used the same screen (essentially have two zunes in one.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Pink Led Rush
Zuner

That would be a cool idea, but way outta my league. lol

Well anyway... back to the original topic. haha Anyone have any thoughts on my questions?

Last edited by Pink Led Rush; 04-25-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
That would be a cool idea, but way outta my league. lol

Well anyway... back to the original topic. haha Anyone have any thoughts on my questions?
Buzzkill.
Anyways, there were several alternatives to the Zune, I'm not sure if they still exist. At this point it seems to be pretty much apple or nothing, besides the dinky third party ones.

Also, I did some looking around and it seems nobody has any motherboards to sell. If you happen to see ads for broken zhd's (especially 64's) make sure to post them and somebody will be able to evaluate whether there's a chance the motherboard still works.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Pink Led Rush
Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohbah11 View Post
Buzzkill.
Anyways, there were several alternatives to the Zune, I'm not sure if they still exist. At this point it seems to be pretty much apple or nothing, besides the dinky third party ones.

Also, I did some looking around and it seems nobody has any motherboards to sell. If you happen to see ads for broken zhd's (especially 64's) make sure to post them and somebody will be able to evaluate whether there's a chance the motherboard still works.
Yes, that's what I hate, being forced to get an Ipod. LOL Yeah, I haven't seen any other quality PMP's really, there's the Samsung Galaxy player but the storage still isn't really enough for me even with an sd card. I remember seeing some places still had the motherboards a few months back, but I checked again recently and those places were all sold out.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
spectredroid
Zewbie

spectredroid is on a distinguished road

I have a 64gb HD zune. If it goes out, I am going to get a Samsung focus, and the a 64gb microsd card. The Samsung 64gb works in the focus perfectly. With 8 gb on board it's a winner. Also, you can hook to Wi-Fi, or at least I will as I won't activate it.

What do you think you are doing Dave?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Pink Led Rush
Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectredroid View Post
I have a 64gb HD zune. If it goes out, I am going to get a Samsung focus, and the a 64gb microsd card. The Samsung 64gb works in the focus perfectly. With 8 gb on board it's a winner. Also, you can hook to Wi-Fi, or at least I will as I won't activate it.

You sure about that, I thought it could only take up to 32g? If that's true that maybe a great alternative, although I do love the sleekness of the newer WP7's

Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
spectredroid
Zewbie

spectredroid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You sure about that, I thought it could only take up to 32g? If that's true that maybe a great alternative, although I do love the sleekness of the newer WP7's
Yep. A guy over on xda got it to work. He put it in and it read an additional 60 gb available. I am not getting one now, but it is a good alternative once zune disappears all together.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Pink Led Rush
Zuner

Does anyone know if they guaranteed a way to still use Zunes once they get rid of the name, and I assume software. Will we be left in the dust? Or will the Zune continue to work with the new "Music" software? Am I crazy? Should I just give in and get an ipod? LOL

Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Does anyone know if they guaranteed a way to still use Zunes once they get rid of the name, and I assume software. Will we be left in the dust? Or will the Zune continue to work with the new "Music" software? Am I crazy? Should I just give in and get an ipod? LOL
you will always be able to use the software, its not like microsoft will reach in and remove it from your computer. there just wont be any updates fot it in the future.

also, the other day when my zune died on me yet again (ive been staying out later lately and there really is no place to charge it) i realized that while putting in a switch to operate two motherboards would be difficult, having two batteries would be quite simple. what do you guys think? if theres support for it i'll try it and make a tutorial.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Pink Led Rush
Zuner

That would be really cool, I wouldn't have too much use for it because I almost always am near a place to charge and the battery life on my HD is immense, but it might be pretty useful for some other guys.

Closed Thread