Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > zHD

zHD Help with the Zune HD.

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about
Default Computer does not recognize ZHD

This is a little embarrassing seeing as how I'm usually the one giving help, but I have tried everything I know to no avail.

Recently my Zune has not been able to connect to my computer (windows xp), it receives power but there is no acknowledgement from the computer that it is connected (not even the connect/disconnect tone). It does not show up in device manager or anywhere else. So far I have tried:
-restarting my Zune
-restarting my computer
-restoring my Zune
-restarting the process's related to the Zune (specifically Zune bus enumerator, Zune network sharing service, Zune wireless configuration, Zune bus root enumerator)
-using a different USB port
-using the Microsoft fixit tool
-using a different computer

I am wary of performing a hard reset on my Zune just in case it does not work, and then I am left with a dead device. My zune functions normally in all other areas. If anyone has some advice on what else I can do it is much appreciated, thank you in advance for all help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohbah11 View Post
This is a little embarrassing seeing as how I'm usually the one giving help, but I have tried everything I know to no avail.

Recently my Zune has not been able to connect to my computer (windows xp), it receives power but there is no acknowledgement from the computer that it is connected (not even the connect/disconnect tone). It does not show up in device manager or anywhere else. So far I have tried:
-restarting my Zune
-restarting my computer
-restoring my Zune
-restarting the process's related to the Zune (specifically Zune bus enumerator, Zune network sharing service, Zune wireless configuration, Zune bus root enumerator)
-using a different USB port
-using the Microsoft fixit tool
-using a different computer

I am wary of performing a hard reset on my Zune just in case it does not work, and then I am left with a dead device. My zune functions normally in all other areas. If anyone has some advice on what else I can do it is much appreciated, thank you in advance for all help.
You probably know most if not all of this, but let's go thru it anyway, and see if it gives you a clue on how to proceed.
1) charging via usb is easy. the electronics in the usb port can detect an attached device and will supply power. You could charge your zune connected to a Mac if you needed to... of course the Mac will not recognize it, but the port will supply power.
2) USB only works right if the Master (the PC) knows about the slave (the attached device.) There are a few generic drivers like mass storage, but otherwise, you have to have a USB driver on the PC that knows how to talk to the specific device.
3) looking at the list you provided I see lots of activity but nothing that explicitly replaced or checked the USB driver on your PC (unless that was the fixit tool you tried.)
My advice is work on getting the USB driver 'fixed' and that most likely will solve your problem. Uninstall the driver from device manager, etc., etc.
If you get it removed and replaced and you are confident you got a fresh driver download (not a reinstall of a potentially corrupted version on your PC) and it still doesn't work, you will have to try a reinstall of the zune firmware. Obviously, the zune devices have a fixed little kernel that runs during this (or a firmware reinstall would be an instant brick process...) so don't worry. It will work, or it will fail. Failure, though, indicates a real failure that you cannot fix yourself, so you might as well find out sooner vs. later, eh? Best of luck! (You can update HD firmware without erasing content by the way...)

Last edited by NSILMike; 04-15-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
You probably know most if not all of this, but let's go thru it anyway, and see if it gives you a clue on how to proceed.
1) charging via usb is easy. the electronics in the usb port can detect an attached device and will supply power. You could charge your zune connected to a Mac if you needed to... of course the Mac will not recognize it, but the port will supply power.
2) USB only works right if the Master (the PC) knows about the slave (the attached device.) There are a few generic drivers like mass storage, but otherwise, you have to have a USB driver on the PC that knows how to talk to the specific device.
3) looking at the list you provided I see lots of activity but nothing that explicitly replaced or checked the USB driver on your PC (unless that was the fixit tool you tried.)
My advice is work on getting the USB driver 'fixed' and that most likely will solve your problem. Uninstall the driver from device manager, etc., etc.
If you get it removed and replaced and you are confident you got a fresh driver download (not a reinstall of a potentially corrupted version on your PC) and it still doesn't work, you will have to try a reinstall of the zune firmware. Obviously, the zune devices have a fixed little kernel that runs during this (or a firmware reinstall would be an instant brick process...) so don't worry. It will work, or it will fail. Failure, though, indicates a real failure that you cannot fix yourself, so you might as well find out sooner vs. later, eh? Best of luck! (You can update HD firmware without erasing content by the way...)
I am not sure what the fixit tool was supposed to do, but it certainly didn't help anything. I have already tried reinstalling the firmware. The Zune recognizes that it is plugged in to a computer but there is still no recognition from the computer. I think reinstalling the drivers will be the way to go, I'll let you know if it works.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

no luck unfortunately. i reinstalled all usb drivers and there was no change. right now i am inclined to think it is a problem with either my zune, or my sync cable, because it behaves the same way on different computers. it seems unlikely that the sync cable would supply power without fail but not be able to transfer data, so that leaves the zune. i really dont want to do a hard reset and be left with a dead device. what would you recommend as the next step?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

Quote:
no luck unfortunately. i reinstalled all usb drivers and there was no change. right now i am inclined to think it is a problem with either my zune, or my sync cable, because it behaves the same way on different computers. it seems unlikely that the sync cable would supply power without fail but not be able to transfer data, so that leaves the zune. i really dont want to do a hard reset and be left with a dead device. what would you recommend as the next step?
the only thing you haven't tried is a new cable. there are 4 connections in a USB cable: power, ground, and 2 data lines (differential data lines...don't ask unless you want a boring technical diatribe...)
If you can easily or cheaply get a second cable to try, do that. Also look at the connectors in the zune and the cable for damage. (Yes... one end of the cable has many connections- those are for the dock, etc. The end that goes into the USB socket has only the 4 I mentioned- so you could theoretically kill a data line without hurting power, or vice versa.)

Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Well I'm hopefully getting a new cable tomorrow, but now my Zune has gone into a recovery state and will Play music (thank god) but no Internet/apps without syncing. If you happen to know a trick to get it out of this without syncing that would be great but I don't think it can be done

Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
Well I'm hopefully getting a new cable tomorrow, but now my Zune has gone into a recovery state and will Play music (thank god) but no Internet/apps without syncing. If you happen to know a trick to get it out of this without syncing that would be great but I don't think it can be done
I don't know what you mean by a recovery state...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Archer168
Zewbie

Archer168 is on a distinguished road
Angry

I'm having the exact same problem. Here's all the things I can (remember) trying over the past two days.

1. System recovery to a previous date
2. Device manager stuff. Apparently my Zune Cannot be started and has a code ten
3. I've uninstalled the Zune from the Device Manager and tried reinstalling it
4. I did the former, uninstalling and reinstalling the Zune software before trying to reinstall the Zune itself
5. I've tried registry fixes
6. I've tried going back to a system restore point
7. I've used Windows' troubleshooter
8. I've used many fixit "solutions"
9. Under device manager, if I have the Zune software installed, I have the device status of "This device cannot start. (Code 10)."
10. I've used multiple cables in multiple usb slots

The like original poster said, I don't want to try to do a full reset in case this is a software issue, and if it's a software issue I will lose all of the songs I do have on my Zune and I won't be able to listen to them, which would be a very very bad thing for me. My computer sees that there is a Zune there. I have literally spend the past 6 hours looking for a fix and I've tried everything I've come across with no results whatsoever. Nothing has changed. Please help!

Edit: Quick update if it helps any, I just installed Zune 4.7 instead of 4.8 and I still have the same problem.

Edit 2: So here's my plan for right now. I'm going to bring my Zune to school tomorrow and install the Zune software on my friend's computer and see if their computer recognizes it. If it does, we can assume it's a problem with my computer. If it doesn't, we can assume it's a problem with my Zune. I'll keep y'all folks updated

Last edited by Archer168; 04-30-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
I don't know what you mean by a recovery state...
That may not be the correct term. It still had all the data on it, and would play music/look at pictures, but the secondary menu (with the pins/history) was gone, and attempting to do anything else it would tell you to connect to the Zune software before continuing.

I am happy to report that I decided to take apart the cable and discovered that one of the data lines had been broken (luckily right at the end of the cable). After a little bit of tinkering i was able to repair the cable and my Zune works again (though the cable is a little fragile). Archer if you happen to have a multimeter handy, and you feel you have the required skill level, then pry open the Zune end of the cable and test the 4 connections (the other end can be tested with a little patience without opening it). It might take a little trial and error, if you would like I may be able to make a tutorial.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
That may not be the correct term. It still had all the data on it, and would play music/look at pictures, but the secondary menu (with the pins/history) was gone, and attempting to do anything else it would tell you to connect to the Zune software before continuing.

I am happy to report that I decided to take apart the cable and discovered that one of the data lines had been broken (luckily right at the end of the cable). After a little bit of tinkering i was able to repair the cable and my Zune works again (though the cable is a little fragile). Archer if you happen to have a multimeter handy, and you feel you have the required skill level, then pry open the Zune end of the cable and test the 4 connections (the other end can be tested with a little patience without opening it). It might take a little trial and error, if you would like I may be able to make a tutorial.
Nicely done!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Archer168
Zewbie

Quote:

It's definitely not the cable though. I tried it on a friend's computer at school today and it worked absolutely perfectly.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
V_Chip
Experienced Zuner

V_Chip has a spectacular aura aboutV_Chip has a spectacular aura about
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer168 View Post
It's definitely not the cable though. I tried it on a friend's computer at school today and it worked absolutely perfectly.
Try a different USB port?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Archer168
Zewbie

Quote:
10. I've used multiple cables in multiple usb slots
Already tried that.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Already tried that.
Do other USB devices work in that port?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
Archer168
Zewbie

Quote:
Do other USB devices work in that port?
Yes, everything works fine in every usb port on my computer except for my Zune.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
Yes, everything works fine in every usb port on my computer except for my Zune.
you need to start your own thread, not hijack this one. Your issue may be different, and if the solutions in this thread don't solve your own problem, you really need to post your own specific details and let us attack those, not boobah's.

Closed Thread