Go Back   Zune Boards > News and Website Related > Front Page Articles

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold
Default Phone reps are getting a little more knowledgeable

For the average consumer making choices about smartphones to buy, the single most important source for information is directly from the people selling them the phone: the carrier. The average consumer doesn't read reviews and commentaries and blogs and such, they trust the salesperson to know the phones and make recommendations accordingly. Ordinarily there's nothing wrong with this, after all it is a part of their job to know the facts about these phones. Sadly that isn't always the case, and it has been especially apparent with Windows Phone; problems range from "well why don't you look at this wonderful iPhone we have here?" to simply placing the Android sticker under a Windows Phone on display.

In the past carriers have not been working especially hard to promote Windows Phone, and that can damage sales. We, the informed minority who follow the tech world and have made the decision that we prefer Windows Phone, can't reach everyone. Some carriers, like Verizon and Sprint, are still sticking firmly to their lack of support for the platform, but T-Mobile and AT&T have been doing better as of late, both featuring their new Nokia phones in commercials. But what about at the point of sale? AT&T has hero status with the Lumia 900, after all, what effect has that had on their sales pitch?

According to Casey Johnston over at Ars Technica, the reps on the floor selling phones are surprisingly competent regarding Windows Phone these days. No longer will mentioning Windows Phone earn quizzical stares or have you quickly directed to another phone, the reps will actually engage in a conversation and try to fairly depict Windows Phone against its competitors. There's the occasional fumble, like mentioning that the Lumia's single core makes it smoother (it's true that WP7 is smooth, but that's because it's optimized better than, say, Android, and does more with less), or saying that both the Lumia 900 and the iPhone 4S have LTE (only the Lumia does), but overall the reps have the right idea and aren't ignoring Windows Phone any longer. Word is that AT&T's already running out of Lumias to sell, so apparently they're doing something good over there.

[Ars Technica]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Mach-X
Zewbie

Mach-X is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry, but this post reeks of fanboism. Even though I have 0 interest in the iphone, to imneply that iphone purchasers are somehow 'less educated' is insulting, and narcissistic. Iphones deliver top notch technology with every generation, high quality cameras, screens, and features that consumers are looking for. Android phones also deliver the same, but with a highly customizeable nature that appeals to enthusiasts. Windows phone 7 delivers an uncomfortable middle ground, and generally lag behind as far as tech goes. I am a zune fan til death, and I will use my zune hd until it dies, but wp7 lags behind iphone in terms of internal storage, still stuck on 16 gigs, and iphone has the better cameras and app support. Wp7 lags behind android on so many different levels. First off, no external storage. I have a low end android phone, but I can still put a 32 gig microsd card in it for media storage. What use is zune music pass (which I have) when you are stuck at 16 gigs? Moving to the high end of the android spectrum the original Galaxy S had the wolfson DAC that our beloved zune hd has, how many windows phones have that? Also that previous generation android phone supported multitasking, hell my cheap motorola charm supports multitasking, something else wp7 is sorely lacking. Both iphone and android also have hd resolution support, again something wp7 lacks. Please, stop inferring that people aren't buying windows phone simply because they are 'less educated' about the products that are out there. Now, windows 8 is poised to change all of that, and when it drops, if there is a windows phone 8 that has good storage AND external storage, a good DAC, hdmi out, with a slide out qwerty keyboard, we will have something to talk about.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach-X View Post
I'm sorry, but this post reeks of fanboism. Even though I have 0 interest in the iphone, to imneply that iphone purchasers are somehow 'less educated' is insulting, and narcissistic. Iphones deliver top notch technology with every generation, high quality cameras, screens, and features that consumers are looking for. Android phones also deliver the same, but with a highly customizeable nature that appeals to enthusiasts. Windows phone 7 delivers an uncomfortable middle ground, and generally lag behind as far as tech goes. I am a zune fan til death, and I will use my zune hd until it dies, but wp7 lags behind iphone in terms of internal storage, still stuck on 16 gigs, and iphone has the better cameras and app support. Wp7 lags behind android on so many different levels. First off, no external storage. I have a low end android phone, but I can still put a 32 gig microsd card in it for media storage. What use is zune music pass (which I have) when you are stuck at 16 gigs? Moving to the high end of the android spectrum the original Galaxy S had the wolfson DAC that our beloved zune hd has, how many windows phones have that? Also that previous generation android phone supported multitasking, hell my cheap motorola charm supports multitasking, something else wp7 is sorely lacking. Both iphone and android also have hd resolution support, again something wp7 lacks. Please, stop inferring that people aren't buying windows phone simply because they are 'less educated' about the products that are out there. Now, windows 8 is poised to change all of that, and when it drops, if there is a windows phone 8 that has good storage AND external storage, a good DAC, hdmi out, with a slide out qwerty keyboard, we will have something to talk about.
I honestly don't know where this is coming from. When a rep literally doesn't know what Windows Phone is, they are uneducated. When a rep fails to offer information on all the competitors when advice is asked for, they are either uneducated or looking to pad up their commission (if they're pushing a more expensive phone when the cheaper one would be a better fit or what the customer actually wants). Are you going to stand here and tell me its fanboyism to expect a fair and balanced perspective and that it is a sin to be happy at the fact that finally reps are promoting Windows Phone along with Android and iOS? I'm astonished. Every platform has strengths and weaknesses that appeal to certain segments of the market, and there are many, many people pouring in to pick up the Lumia 900 who apparently don't give a lick about the points you've raised, and customer satisfaction is higher on WP7 than any other platform by all readily available data. The problem has long been that reps simply don't care to present the platform in any fair and balanced manner, and now they're making an effort to so. And I'm praising them for it. So what on earth do you see wrong here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Arfey McFeeshy
Experienced Zuner

Arfey McFeeshy is on a distinguished road

The Samsung focus has storage capabilities up to 40gb. The hardware's outdated, but there's not much it can't do compared to other windows phones.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Mach-X
Zewbie

Mach-X is an unknown quantity at this point

My apologies, I mischanneled something that typically drives me nuts. And that thing is when fans of a product label it as 'underrated', and that if 'more people tried it, it would be more popular'. Whether it's a technological device or a musical group or a movie, there's always a niche section of fans that say 'oh it's just underrated' or 'not promoted enough' or go so far as imply that the 'average public' are just stupid. Now ive been screaming ZUNE since 2008 when the sexy second gens came out, and also ZUNEHD from the get go. The metro musical interface and experience blows everything else away. But the fact remains that the Zune never got above 10% market share at its peak and stuck around 1% most times. Why? Not because people are 'stupid' it's because the marketplace lagged far behind itunes for too long, and by the time it caught up, people were steering away from dedicated music players, and to the iphone in droves. Why has android overtaken ios in the market? Because it offers EVERYTHING. Apps, games, customization, HD, external sd storage, and a phone for every market segment. last.fm apps, rhapsody, spotify, shoutcast, and every music subscription under the sun. Not to mention handsets like the Galaxy S and Nexus that have hardware that equal iphone in every way. Compared to that, WP7 is limited. One resolution, 16 gigs, no external storage, single core cpus. When the windows 8 phones drop, I believe all that will change, and WP will finally be able to compete on all levels, and I will be first in line for one. Until then, it lags behind android and iphone in terms of specs, features and hardware. Somebody mentioned one single wp handset with external storage. ONE. EVERY android handset has a microsd slot. And that one wp7 handset takes your microsd card and integrates the file system with the internal storage, thereby making it useless for any other device, ie, you can't just store all your photos on it and take it to another phone or device. Iphone may not offer external storage, but its at least available in a 64 gig model. Again I apologize if I came off harsh, but all those things I mentioned drive me nuts. When WP offers those things, people will notice, just as they noticed when android began to compete and became the leading mobile system of choice.

Closed Thread