Go Back   Zune Boards > News and Website Related > Front Page Articles

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Locke
Not to be trifled with
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold
Default Nokia's latest advertisements hit the airwaves

So last night I managed to catch Nokia's foray into advertisement, called Smartphone Beta Test. It's a short spot that points you to a website where you can see more ads targeting the competition. There is also a countdown set to end April 6. Take a look at what they've got.

This was the spot I managed to catch on the television. Not much here, just implying that other smartphones are low quality, and you should check out the website. This version doesn't have Nokia branding, but the one I saw had the Nokia logo, which was was prompted me to check it out. The website offers three more videos, each prefaced by a pixelated iPhone lookalike phone, and then proceeds to mention some of the flaws of the iPhone and other phones in general.

This first one targets the antenna issue with the iPhone 4, pointing out how ridiculous it is to simply say "the user is holding the phone wrong" when the phone should simply be designed to work. This "the phone should just work" theme is carried out through the rest of the ads.

Next comes the issue of outdoor lighting. Now the advice given is "people should just stay inside if they don't like glare." Because people have smartphones because they like using them in one place. Of course. It makes perfect sense, right? I suspect when the big reveal comes along, ClearBlack will be the answer to this.

Lastly comes the issue of fragility. The time is specified as being in 2007 (including a jab at the investment strategy that lead to the USA's huge financial problems and bank bail out), though I believe it's even more relevant to the iPhone 4S, notorious for being, well, glass. Even the mighty Gorilla Glass is not shatter-proof, so making an entire mobile device out of one leads to some questionable sturdiness in everyday use.

Though no specific mention to the Lumia 900 is made, it's a fair bet that it's part of the ramping PR effort leading up to the release of said device. Nokia's determined to make a big splash with this release, and it's not relying on just the stunning device it has to make that push. Targeting the build quality of their opponents is a smart move, considering just how sturdy and reliable the Lumia 900, and indeed many Nokia phones (older models are lovingly referred to as "bricks" in a literal sense), are.

Another piece of that push is a series of videos demonstrating the features of Windows Phone as well as their own apps pre-packaged with the platform. I'll leave you with them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Prodigy

Prodigy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Prodigy Send a message via Yahoo to Prodigy

Honestly, Nokia Windows Phones are fantastic, really hoping to get one soon!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
TwistedJC
Zewbie

TwistedJC is on a distinguished road

Just received my phone today! Glad I held out till this Nokia came out.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
vacfuzzy
Zewbie

vacfuzzy is on a distinguished road

This is what the zune should've been able to do.

Closed Thread