Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > General Zune Software

General Zune Software Ask for help regarding the Zune software. Zune Marketplace and Zune Pass issues also go here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Staccato
Zuner

Staccato is on a distinguished road
Default Is there a clean way to migrate my Zune software library config to another program?

Allright, having postponed replacing my zHD 32 for months now, I'm now finally at the point where I've hit HDD capacity and there's really not much else I can do but get new hardware. As the Zune software is only compatible with Zune and WP7, and the former is borderline impossible to find at feasible price-points and the latter is preposterously stingy with memory standards, I have to look elsewhere.

My biggest point of hesitation with migrating from Zune has always been the prospect of having to use another management program for sync functionality; frankly I love the Zune software, of all the media file management platforms I've ever used it has by far the most intuitive and user friendly GUI and overall functionality. Moreover I have my library configured to exact specifications through the Zune software in terms of meta-tags; in other words, I have configured the Zune software and player such that they both communicate and render files in an explicitly designated fashion.

So is there any way to fully and smoothly transfer my Zune software library setup to another platform? Or better yet, is there any way to render Zune compatible with Android based hardware? I'm almost entirely certain the answer will be negative on this, but I have to ask. I'm really in a difficult situation with this Zune problem, not sure what course of action to take. Upon reading recommendations to the effect I tried installing DoubleTwist and importing my library to that; the results yielded were filled with discrepancies (duplicate files, missing artwork, missing/incorrect artist data, etc). This was predictable, as many of my files have been tag edited through Zune; going back and fixing everythign would take a up a lot of time and constitutes busywork that I would rather avoid quite frankly. If anyone can provide me with a solution to this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

zune software will sync only to zune mp3 players and wp7 phones... but if you have the metadata cleanly done, you should be able to migrate to any mainstream platform. They all use the same ID3v2.3 metadata standard. forget about playlists though- they will not transfer.
I am not familiar with doubletwist...in fact, I've never heard of it. If they have a brain though, they will be compatible with ID3. As for album artwork, that is a stab in the dark. you can embed it as metadata, and that is probably the safest approach. But support in the next app is hit or miss. (zune marketplace album art is embedded, but zune software does not do so... a strange 'oversight' by MS in my opinion.)

Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Staccato
Zuner

Honestly, I hadn't heard of DoubleTwist up to a few months ago either, but the name has arisen multiple times while researching this issue, specifically in respect to importing media libraries to Android based devices (I'm planning on getting a Samsung Galaxy Player), so I thought I'd check it out.

I'm completely open to suggestions, are there other media management programs that can satisfy the requirements I've described? Also, do you know if there been any developments recently with WP7 in terms of higher memory standards, higher internal flash memory space, microSD expansion, etc?

Let me ask this, is the current version of the Zune software fully compatible with the old Zune hardware? I'm now entertaining the idea of acquiring a refurbished Zune 80 or 120, would this be advisable?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
dooglehead
><(((ยบ>
Support Team
Graduate Zuner

dooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nicedooglehead is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to dooglehead Send a message via Skype™ to dooglehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staccato View Post
Let me ask this, is the current version of the Zune software fully compatible with the old Zune hardware?
Yes.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Staccato
Zuner

I must stress that getting an older generation Zune definitely constitutes a distant plan b; if I'm going to be buying new hardware after three years I'd rather it be a current platform with ensured future support like a Samsung Android device, rather than a discontinued player from 5 years ago whose community its manufacturer has all but completely abandoned. Its tempting to get a refurbished Zune 80/120 on the cheap, but I have lingering concerns about lifespan and future compatibility. Can anyone who has bought a refurbished Zune recently speak to these concerns?

Closed Thread