Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Development Discussions

Development Discussions All developers who are coding games may stop by here for any help, suggestions, and everything development related.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
xxBryce10xxx
Zewbie

xxBryce10xxx is on a distinguished road
Default Swype keyboard

Sorry for the second post in so little time but is it possible to get the android app swype on the zune. That would make typing a lot faster and more interesting.....If this is possible i will help anyway i can i just blow at coding, also could we create an app that would work if we cant port?

xxBryce10xxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

Justananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offer

Keyboard apps take years to develop and months to test, I don't foresee this ever happening unless Microsoft does it. It would be nice to have, though.

Justananomaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Dilpickle1
1elkciplid
Retired Staff
Super ZunerĀ²

Dilpickle1 is a splendid one to beholdDilpickle1 is a splendid one to beholdDilpickle1 is a splendid one to beholdDilpickle1 is a splendid one to beholdDilpickle1 is a splendid one to beholdDilpickle1 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Dilpickle1 Send a message via MSN to Dilpickle1 Send a message via Skype™ to Dilpickle1

Simply: No.

Dilpickle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Cobalthex

Cobalthex is on a distinguished road

the chance of this happening is -1%, as there are many reasons why not.
Firstly, winCE vs android(linux), different architectures (swype has not been tested on many platforms), screen size, thirdly, if swype is written in c++ then it would need to be decompiled and ported, and if java, then it would need to be reverse engineered, which defeats the point

Cobalthex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
tfgbd
Zewbie

tfgbd has disabled reputation

You are all very wrong. There is already Windows CE version of Swype for Windows Mobile Pocket PCs. Now, whether it will run or not without extensive hacking, I don't know. But it certainly does exist.

There's even a fancy WP7 skin for it here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653256

The installation cabs are also in the thread I linked above.

If you still don't believe me, just watch this YouTube video:

Another thread discussing some Swype alternatives:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=596715

Last edited by tfgbd; 03-07-2012 at 01:20 AM.

tfgbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfgbd View Post
You are all very wrong. There is already Windows CE version of Swype for Windows Mobile Pocket PCs. Now, whether it will run or not without extensive hacking, I don't know. But it certainly does exist.

There's even a fancy WP7 skin for it here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653256

The installation cabs are also in the thread I linked above.

If you still don't believe me, just watch this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTooBnKAdSw

Another thread discussing some Swype alternatives:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=596715
That may be, but the Zune was created before this was out and there is little chance of it running. I'm going to go try it in liberate, and if it works that will probably about as far as it goes.

boohbah11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
runewake2
Experienced Zuner

runewake2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to runewake2

I'll get in this late

Even if someone did manage to code swype, what would the point be exactly? You could use it in the whole zero apps that use a keyboard and have source available?

I assume that Microsoft's keyboard would be heavily locked (if not coded into each app) and so we are left with a very cool keyboard with very little use.

I do have parts of a keyboard I was making for the Zune, though it wasn't swype. It was sort of like those old phone things except you would go left, right, up, down to select a character. It was interesting, but I ended up abandoning that as the use for it was to low compared to the amount of work it took.

Besides, coding GUI's is about the most boring thing you can do (aside from coding Data Structures or watching termites mate). Aside from that you have to deal with all the stupid things people do with their devices, face roles for example.

I think I overdid this for a dead topic, but some things... they just, well... you know...

runewake2 is offline   Reply With Quote