Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > The Archives > H&M General Talk > Zune Hacks & Mods

Zune Hacks & Mods All Zune Hacks & Mods will be in here.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
SBcarshops
Zewbie

SBcarshops is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Dock Information

Hello All,

I ran across this thread earlier tonight, and was interested in more information. I really don't know where to start, I have an empty Coolermaster Haf 932 case laying about. I'm turning it into a file server/multi-media server for my apartment. We host parties a lot, and I wanted to be able to set my zune up on the pc in a custom dock, the top of the HAF has a nice tray that I could set the dock, on top and run the A/v audio cables through a Fill port (the case is pre setup for Water Cooling). the problem with that is the IR port sits too low to be used with the remote. This is a simple fix of just rasising the dock itself.

However I had wanted to try and take apart the dock, integrate the power source into my PCs PSU and put the IR port on the front of the tower and run the USB straight into the USB header on the motherbaord. I was just wandering if there is anyinformation that would explain the best ways to extend the wires once the dock is taken apart to create the custom dock for the top of the Haf.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
SBcarshops
Zewbie

SBcarshops is on a distinguished road

Alright, I found a cheap Dock at Target and proceeded to tear it apart. Came apart easy enough, I took decent photos that I will upload later.

If anyone knows circuit level wiring these next 2 questions are for you:
First - the insides consist of 2 circuit boards connected by a ribbon cable. One board is made up of the dock, and usb connection, the second is purely audio connections. IF i decide not to use the audio board, can i just simply disconnect the wire and still use the main board?

Secondly, the IR receiver (as well as the audio jacks) are built into the board itself, is there a way to remove the base and extend the wires so i could say place on the front of my PC. Alternately is there a way to funnel the IR signal through fiber optics or plastic to hit the IR eye?

Also I'm curious as to the best way to set this up. It would be simple just to build the dock in, and then just use the Zune software that way. But the only effect for that would be to charge the zune. and I suppose if you had a remote for the computer you could control the zune software that way. However, I had wanted to build the dock into the computer case and be able to use the remote to control music playing from the zune.

Now that i think about that, unless I had a TV tuner, and i ran the video out cables or audio out cabled to a front audio jack, I wouldn't be able to force the video out, or really use the zune with the PC to play music. Any opinions on the feasibility of this idea?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Zach85
Zewbie

Zach85 is on a distinguished road
Default pictures

Pictures would help. I know a little about electronics, so I might be able to help you out once I see some pictures. I'm thinking about modding a dock to put into the dashboard of my car so I could just easily hook up my Zune to me car stereo (aftermarket). Currently looking for a cheap dock to take apart and mod, how much was your dock at Target?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
blackbandit
Zewbie

blackbandit is on a distinguished road
Default dock price

there about 30 bucks @ target

Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Nick1976
Squirt

Nick1976 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach85 View Post
Pictures would help. I know a little about electronics, so I might be able to help you out once I see some pictures. I'm thinking about modding a dock to put into the dashboard of my car so I could just easily hook up my Zune to me car stereo (aftermarket). Currently looking for a cheap dock to take apart and mod, how much was your dock at Target?
I did exactly the same in my BMW: soldered off IR receiver and moved it to dashboard with three wires each about 50cm. long. Even if you'll damage receiver you could buy a new one. Vishay making compatible IR receivers with 36Khz Freq. and 3.6V voltage.