Zune Boards

Zune Boards (http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   Front Page Articles (http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Zune gone for good - left out of Windows 8 Preview (http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62141)

Charge 02-27-2012 07:05 AM

Zune gone for good - left out of Windows 8 Preview

We have had the Zune name around since late 2006, and until last year it was alive and well, until of course Microsoft pulled the life support. But we held our heads high with the Zune Software and Zune continuing on through Windows Phone 7. It's been and almighty roller coaster ride, but it seems, the ride is being shut down for good.

http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/pic...&pictureid=901

Microsoft is changing its branding identity rapidly, exchanging the ever-loved flag for a bland window frame, and has done the same to the loved service of Windows Live and Zune. Don't worry, they will still live on as services, but their name will vanish from Windows 8. Windows Live services such as Windows Live Mail, WL Calendar, WL Contacts, WL Gallery, will all be stripped. They will become Mail, Calendar, People, and Pictures, respectively. Why is this? Microsoft are trying to streamline their user content and the amount of names they use in their services. It's all about keeping the user close and understanding what he is using without stupid monikers like Windows Live and, sadly, Zune too. Zune will become Music and Videos, separate apps. And following suit, it seems Zune Pass will become a Spotify-like subscription service.

The Windows 8 Preview will be released in a couple days, and if this is all well and true, it's a sad day for me. At the moment Windows Phone 7 still holds true, but again with Windows 8 ever looming and the total domination the OS will have over all three main groups (PC, Tablet, Phone) it will soon disappear. It's all understandable, I don't think they want a failed brand lingering around on anyones desktop any longer than it needs to, but it'll be sad to see it go.

[socialbarrel.com]

[theverge.com]

Zombii Matt 02-27-2012 07:19 AM

well at least they are also getting rid of windows media player lol

Alex 02-27-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombii Matt (Post 615316)
well at least they are also getting rid of windows media player lol

:lol: The silver lining.

Pink Led Rush 02-27-2012 10:38 AM

So what does this mean for existing Zune devices and applications?

keymasta 02-27-2012 11:49 AM

:salute:
We had a nice run my good friend.
Now I have to start looking into other Mp3 players...

Zombii Matt 02-27-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keymasta (Post 615320)
:salute:
We had a nice run my good friend.
Now I have to start looking into other Mp3 players...

get an ipod

keymasta 02-27-2012 12:15 PM

I have an Ipod.
What do I think about it?
:barf:

HallamB 02-27-2012 12:39 PM

Damn....if it wasnt bad enough with everyone creating "iProducts"trying to force the hand of those who dont own iPods to buy one...even M$ are now shunting us into the dark :(

SilentWalrus 02-27-2012 07:24 PM

Sad.
This time 3-4 years ago, this was an immense forum.
Now it's down to that sad mess that it is today.
Thank you for all you've done Microsoft.
Thank you.

V_Chip 02-27-2012 07:36 PM

The name may be dead, but the UI lives on.

As long as the functionality is still there I will be satisfied.

I will use my zHD until it dies.. and then try to resurrect it.

I shall have to move on to Windows Phone.

ZuFi 02-27-2012 09:07 PM

Wait...
...So, my subscription will be to "Music"?

LeoIrish 02-28-2012 05:05 AM

We have a total of 6-Zunes in the house (1-30BG / 1-120GB / 2-16HD / 2 - 32HD), and I believe them to be a much better media player than any other out on the market. We also have two iPods in the house - but they are better for playing than podcasts or music.

In addition, I love how the software handles media and podcasts. Apple cannot even come close.

I woill try to keep them alive as long as possible as I am not sure what I would replace them with.

FYI: We also have a couple of Samsung Galaxy players (5"), and they are very nice. But, Zune sill handles media better.

zunehdman 02-28-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V_Chip (Post 615330)
The name may be dead, but the UI lives on.

As long as the functionality is still there I will be satisfied.

I will use my zHD until it dies.. and then try to resurrect it.

I shall have to move on to Windows Phone.

Same here! :)

boohbah11 02-28-2012 08:31 AM

I will be using my Zune for as long as I can, though I've already had to make some repairs to it (cracked screen).

This is a very sad thing, but perhaps from the ashes of the Zune will rise a mighty phoenix; a windows 8 pmp, perhaps?

keymasta 02-28-2012 11:27 AM

welp since the emergence of the W7P, we can all safely assume that we wont be seeing another mp3 player by microsoft. Well, not for now anyway.

Cubby1996 02-28-2012 03:06 PM

I still don't really like the idea of Windows 8... sort of similar to the ipad, don't you think?
I don't know, maybe not

dooglehead 02-29-2012 04:11 PM

I tried the music app. Nothing happened when I plugged my Zune or Lumia 800 into my computer, so at least as of now, it is not a replacement for a Zune syncing software. It's also just a preview so things could change.

tnap 02-29-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubby1996 (Post 615347)
I still don't really like the idea of Windows 8... sort of similar to the ipad, don't you think?
I don't know, maybe not

How is the idea of Windows 8 even remotely similar to the IPad, other than tablet functionality? Just out of curiosity.

B777Forever 03-01-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boohbah11 (Post 615337)
a windows 8 pmp, perhaps?

It would be awesome to see a Windows 8 PMP

Charge 03-01-2012 03:42 PM

I see no reason for this. PMP have been in decline for 4-5 years now, it's all folded into one market. Remember PDA's? SatNavs? All on our phones.